New in town - Hong Kong Palace menu?

Hello all :)
I'm starving and I really don't feel like cooking. I see that a few people like Hong Kong Palace on mountain ave. Do they deliver? And what are some good dishes there? I don't have a menu and I want to know what I want to order before I call so I don't have to irritate them with a million questions lol. I want some kind of beef in a tasty sauce(maybe?) Any suggestions anyone? Thanx in advance :)

SweetMsBitter SweetMsBitter
Jan '11

Their menu is just about the same as any other Chinese place. Don't deliver that I know of, but you never know if that changes you can always ask. As for their best dishes, I particularly like their Szechuan Beef - very nice spicy ginger sauce. Their hot & sour soup is also really good.

Just called... They don't deliver :(
U know of any other decent Chinese restaurant in the area that does?

Jan '11

They dont deliver and everything I have ever had has been good. My favorite they make is thier General tsaos chicken. Best around. Also the hout and sour soup is one of my fave also.

Christine Christine
Jan '11

Hong Kong Palace is great and Jetto (the owner) is about the best there is. They have a extensive menu.. Beef and Peppers is really good too. As far as I know they do not deliver but call in and order and they'll have it ready for you in record time.

joyful joyful
Jan '11

Sezchaun Royale (sp?) in Hastings Square delivers and I think they are the best in the area!

@joyful, I wish I could go pick it up. My husband took the car to work and my baby is too heavy to carry and walk to the store lol. Thanx a bunch though. I'll have to remember to try them som time soon though

@JRT what would u recommend from there?

Jan '11

Hong Kong Palace and Szechuan are *by far* the two best out of all the rest. If it was Szechuan then I actually like their General Cho's better, their lo mein is good, so is the chicken & curry, the egg foo young, and kung po.

out of this world , everything is delic at szchuan , general chou ? chicken and broccoli , dumplings , chicken and peanuts , sweet and sour chicken , lo mein , fried rice , beef dishes and their shrimp with vegies ummm ummm ummmm

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Jan '11

Thanx a lot u guys. I ordered from Szechuan. When I googled it to find the number I saw that they got almost 5 stars. I can't wait to taste it. Hope I don't die of starvation before it arrives

Jan '11

Be sure to let us know what you think of Szechuan Royale....been wanting to try them myself!

Mom of 1 & 1
Jan '11

Mom of 1 & 1 - I'll personally vouch for Szechuan. I've eaten at every single Chinese place in the area (all nine is it?), and I stand by my statement of the two that are far better than any of the others. Szechuan is a definite winner. Hong Kong is as well.

SweetMsBitter
I think you will enjoy whatever you choose since all of their food is good! My Favorites are General Tso's Chicken, shrimp fried rice, veg. lomein.
Let us know what you ordered and if you liked it!

YUM!! I ordered veggie lo mein, beef w/broccoli, and spring rolls. DELICIOUS! I wasn't crazy about the spring roll, it was a bit greasy. But everything else was on point! I wish they had egg rolls, but whatever I'm not complaining. I'm very pleased :)

Jan '11

Hackettstown Chinese has been the best for us. Consistent, Quality and delicious! The cost is considerably less than others. Heard about Hasting Square, 5 stars?? Really, I'm befuddled, ordered take-out, it was cold and tasted stale. Glad you had a good night with them. If you try Hackettstown, try the crab rangoon, best in NJ!!! Welcome!

Chiming In Chiming In
Jan '11

Go to the Garden Buffet near Kohl's on 57 . They have a great buffet and the price is great!

Hackettstownwife Hackettstownwife
Jan '11

Szechuan is THE best in town.. And they do deliver!!

darlughh
Jan '11

Hackettstown Chinese delivers too, and their food is pretty good. I like the Buddha's delight.

Sandy Sandy
Jan '11

Everyone: I ran into the owner of Hong Kong Palace over the weekend at of all places, IHOP! He said he was now retired, lives in Wharton and drives a school bus in Parsippany. His son runs the place now. Ok to this.

We like Hong Kong but prefer Szechuan Royale because their food is good, reasonable and they deliver. Food is never cold or stale. There are some dishes that are not as good as Hong Kong but they deliver. And that is the key in our home. LOL!

Bette Bette
Jan '11

one more thing, Szechuan Royale, has a daily buffet.

Bette Bette
Jan '11

Szechuan Royale is the best Chinese food in the area. Their buffet is good but a bit limited.

Tastyfisherwoman Tastyfisherwoman
Nov '11

Interesting how everyone has different tastes! I ordered from Hong Kong Palace a few years ago and threw EVERYTHING in the garbage. Worst Chinese food I ever had. Couldn't even eat the eggroll. My favorite Chinese restaurant is Panda North in West Dover, VT. Once you've eaten there, everything else falls short. So unless I am in VT, I am Chinese food deprived.

Jackie Jackie
Nov '11

I still like Ka Hing Kitchen!!!!

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Nov '11

we genrally like the food from hackettstown chinese, and have ordered from them a lot..however, they are slipping...the last 3 -4 times something is missing from the order...generally a sauce, but sometimes it's the sauce that makes a dish...

Last time we called and they actually argued with my husband on the phone tha the sauce was in the box...really if it was in the box would I be calling you?? the food is good...but just annoying not to get your whole order, and by the time they send out whats missing your already done with dinner...

Anyway, we are tired of missing things, so looking to try someplace new...going to try Hong Palace tonight as will be hitting blockbuster too...next time we'll try Szechuan Royale.. do they deliver out to Oakhill??

Glad I came across this lots of helpful and honest reviews...

Gadget Gadget
Feb '12

Had shrimp with lobster sauce from Hong Kong and it was not good. Tasteless, sorry to say.

copygirl copygirl
Feb '12

Use the Hunan Wok in Washington, Port Colden Mall Hackettstown side of town on 57 --- always consistent, good portions, new "cheese" wontons to die for. Nice family run, worth the extra drive.

Usually get the "specials," smaller portion but includes eggroll. Can ask for any kind of rice to accompany and any spice level. Not fancy but good value.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '12

I've been going to Hong Kong palace for many years and I definitely think the quality of their food slipped a bit during the change in management. However, the last couple of times we were there, things seemed more on track.

For my family, they have the best egg rolls and pork fried rice around.

I also like the Szechuan buffet, but it is a bit limited.

awakeagain awakeagain
Feb '12

We were at Hong Kong Palace a week or so ago and I must agree with awakeagain. At first I thought maybe we just missed Jetto who was the "atmosphere" there but thinking about it now...the quality and the quantity of the food was not the same. It was not that we did not enjoy our meal or have good service. If we did not know how much better it used to be.... we would not now be mentioning how Hong Kong has changed.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

I'm from the city, and Chinese food doesn't get better then that, but I have been going to Hong Kong Palace for 30 yrs. and that is where the owner Jetto is from
So you just can't get better then that!..... He is now back at the restaurant cooking
up a storm, ummmm, you haven't tasted Chinese food as good as this anywhere!

Tina Fiasco
Oct '13

Yes, Jetto is back and the food is markedly better. If you had a bad experience, give it a second try.

USAfirst USAfirst
Oct '13

Just make sure you get all you ordered from Hong Kong Palace. Very annoying to get home and find items missing that you were charged for.

boobalaa boobalaa
Oct '13

I recently got take out and got home and an item was missing. I called to tell them and they offered to deliver itto my house. They do not normally deliver, but I appreciated that. Food was good.

copygirl copygirl
Oct '13

Anyone who gets take out knows to check all orders no matter where it comes from. It's an easy mistake no matter what place or what time of day. From the top sit down restaurants to the fast food drive throughs, no one is immune. The real test is how they handle it.

Like a lot of people on this forum, we stayed away from Hong Kong Palace after Jeto left. Now that he's back, we decided to give it a try and boy was it good. Place was packed when we went on Sat. Food tasted great, just the way it used to be. We'll be back again.

Thumbs down for HKP. My parents tried to get takeout on Saturday night and had my two small children with them. After 40 minutes, they walked out without anything. The hostess was especially rude and just kept saying "it's Saturday night, we're busy" even though they only ordered soup and a container of lo mein.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Nov '15

Wow! Looked at my menu, our take out was at 6:45. This past Saturday night, 20 minutes. That's a shame. Maybe calling is the trick.

auntiel auntiel
Nov '15

HKP has been so busy on Fri & Sat nights the past three weeks they have had to tell people an hour and as well as turn people away. Szechuan is only slightly less of a wait, not by much.

"HKP has been so busy on Fri & Sat nights the past three weeks they have had to tell people an hour and as well as turn people away."

Eta Kappa Rho? Is that a new sorority at Centenary? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

OK, I'll probably draw all kinds of negative comments, BUT -

I've been getting food from Hackettstown Chinese on Main for over 30 years.

i used to have it delivered in Mt Olive, but now that I live in town, I get their food a few times a month. Always hot, fresh, fast and delicious. I ask for a lot of different things - like fresh ginger and snow peas on the cold sesame noodles, and I often just select certain ingredients - say shrimp, scallops, baby corn, snow peas & water chestnuts in a garlic and ginger sauce - NP!

They are also generous with extra sauces and free sodas for regulars!

auntiel, that was around the time they were there. A long wait on a weekend is understandable if they let you know, however. They said nothing of a wait, took their order and their money and then kept telling them that theirs was next, but it just never was. Once the hostess was rude a couple times, they got their money back and left.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Nov '15

I don't blame your folks I would have done the same thing. No excuse for rudeness, I don't care how busy you are.

auntiel auntiel
Nov '15

Tracy,

I was the hostess your mom spoke to and let me try to clarify the situation a bit. Your parents walked in on a very busy Sat night around 6:45pm, right in the middle of dinner rush. I remembered them with the 2 young kids. The dining room was packed and there were at least 10 other people waiting for their take outs as well. Most of them called ahead and we had warned them it'll be at least 45 min for take outs and even then they still have to wait a few more min when they got there. Your parents walked in with the 2 toddlers. I saw them immediately and as a mother with 3 kids, I understand immediately what needs to be done. I notified the kitchen to try to expedite their order asap. The kids were probably tired and hungry and therefore cried a bit. I went back to kitchen a 2nd time and again asked for their order. What everyone needs to know is that there was a long queve of take out orders and dine in orders in the kitchen already. The staff were working as fast as they could. Every order has to come out of that same kitchen regardless whether its dine in or take outs. Your parents waited about 25 min for their order and yes, it was a smaller order but their food still needs to be cooked. It was 3-4 items and slightly under $20.00. Even if its a smaller order, everything still has to be cooked. Your mom was not happy when she saw another customer who just walked in picked up their take out order and that's when she voiced her displeasure and wanted her refund. I apologized as best as I could under the circumstances and processed her refund. What she failed to recognize and I tried to explain to her that the customer who picked up her order had called almost an hour prior and that's why it was ready and your mom's was not. I'm sorry your parents had a bad experience but we really tried our best to have everyone's food ready in a timely manner. And yes, when it gets busy, we always inform our customers ahead of time that there will be a wait (i.e. 45 min ) and let them decide if they want to proceed with the order. I hope this clarifies the situation and understand it from our end. I apologized if I came off rude but that was not my intent at all. I was only trying to explain the situation to her at the time. I hope everyone understand that it is literally a war zone in the kitchen during the weekend rush. This is not to excuse what happened but it does happen.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.