Hackettstown Middle School Honor Roll

Has anyone else heard that the Middle School took honor roll away this year? I have a daughter in 6th grade who really worked hard this first marking period to earn honor roll as she didn't get it last year and now I heard they took it away.

Hopeful Parent
Nov '10

Call the school...talk to the guidance staff. They will know.

acl76
Nov '10

Yes, I heard this, too, and I have a similarly puzzled middle-schooler. I really don't know the reasoning, as honor roll is typically a strong motivator for many kids to work harder. Your DD is a perfect example, Hopeful Parent (hey, nice handle!). :o)

I can't imagine why we would take away that kind of no-cost incentive from the children. For high schoolers, working toward and achieving such honors helps strenghthen their college applications. Why not maintain the practice of whetting students' appetites for these kinds of accolades while they're in middle school? Some kids strive for achieving honor roll all four years in middle school and then in high school, too! What an achievement!

I know Mrs. Griffin is having Coffee & Conversation with parents this week -- tonight (11/17) at 7 pm, and tomorrow (11/18) at 1pm. I think I will try to go tonight. In fact, I see from the Tiger's Lair that they'd like RSVPs. If you want to go, call Mrs. Klaver at 852-8554, x222.

Thanks for the post, HP.

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town Message Hopeful in H-town
Nov '10

Oh I did not hear that, I surely hope not. I know they took away sending out paper reports cards. Grades are seen thru homelogic. I guess if you don't have a computer then are you out of luck in seeing your child's grades.

Cookie
Nov '10

I'd be shocked. I was talking to my son's teachers and they were all happy for him that he made honor roll this year for the 1st time. He's in 6th grade as well at HMS

Alison Alison Message Alison
Nov '10

Alison, I'm interested to hear that you had those conversations. Maybe it's just an unfortunate rumor... I will let you all know what I find out from Mrs. Griffin tonight.

Nov '10

I don't think B'town Elem even has an honor roll. Would be nice though, since DS got straight As for the 1st time ever. Funny thing is they gave him a report with As and 2 Bs, but he questioned one of the Bs so the teacher looked into it. Turns out they were screwing him out of not 1 A, but 2! I'm so glad he asked!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Nov '10

Trust your kids, Lori -- something like that report card snafu has happened to my middle schooler three different times! These darn computers, lol!

Nov '10

I was also told that the school will issue a report card to people without computer access. They just have to call the school and it will be taken care of.

Nov '10

Was there any kind of announcement made about this Honor Roll decision? I have a 7th grader and I don't think he knew about the decison. The more I hear about administrative decision made by the principal it makes me wonder what she is thinking?

georgea
Nov '10

I and about 7 other HMS parents met with Mrs. Griffin tonight for Coffee and Conversation. It was pretty interesting, and she did address the honor roll question. There have been no changes to the honor roll system -- at least not yet. She said she is looking into it, having conversations about it, because she's not necessarily convinced that the current system is either movitating or useful as it's currently structured.

I do know that the 5th and 6th graders have assemblies where kids get certificates for honor roll, but I think that the 7th and 8th graders get certificates from their homeroom teachers -- not really sure the assemblies work for the older kids. And she's also of the opinion that there might be some grade inflation going on -- this was actually part of another conversation -- and she wants to bring into focus not only the grades that kids get, but what they know.

I got the sense that they're not going to do away with honor roll completely, but they want to revamp it in some way to make it more meaningful.

So it's not abolished, as of today.

Nov '10

Hopeful,

Darn computers is right!

He also didn't receive a schedule for us for back to school night, and that was a computer glitch as well...Loving the new system, LOL

Nov '10

Thanks for the info. My child worked her but off in hopes to be on honor roll and as a mom I am not saying she NEEDS a certificate but it is an accomplishment and it only helps their self esteem to be rewarded for their achievements every now and then not only from their parents but from the school.

Hopeful Parent
Nov '10

Thanks for the info Hopeful! I appreciate that you went. Wish I could have gone but I had a prior engagement.

Nov '10

wouldn't it be great if kids would "work their butts off" to learn and better themselves instead of for a "designation" and a certificate?

just sayin
Nov '10

Wouldn't it be great if adults went to work for no pay but simply to better society?

EVERYONE needs some sort of "reward" for their efforts. It's what motivates us to work harder. If a certificate is enough motivation for a student to strive for an "A", then there is nothing wrong with it.

emaxxman emaxxman Message emaxxman
Nov '10

Honestly, maybe the kids should get used to it. When they graduate from school and get jobs in the real world they will work their butts off to earn money for their employers that they only see pennies of. All without so much as a "thank you" as acknowledgement of a job well done. Their hard work will never be appreciated for what it's worth unless they are lucky enough to work for someone who has a heart.

Tracy Tracy Message Tracy
Nov '10

I am surprised by the bitterness in this thread towards honor roll. I work very hard at work and I am rewarded for it with promotions, better projects, etc. It's true that it isn't always the case but why are people so set on making the next generation of workers as jaded as people are now? What's wrong with trying to change the mindset a bit? Kids work very hard at school and I don't see anything wrong with telling them "good job"!

As far as honor roll not being a motivator, I strongly disagree. It was a huge motivator for my son and it sound like it was for Hopeful Parent's daughter as well. I don't see why this is a negative thing.

Nov '10

Update: In the process of checking into this, I had also asked around to some other people. I have now heard back from more than one HMS teacher that honor roll is definitely being eliminated, with some other form of recognition (not determined yet) to be put in its place. I must say, Mrs. Griffin did not make it sound like it was a "done deal" last night, but maybe what she did say about Honor Roll could be interpreted as writing on the wall. I would have preferred a more direct answer, but I certainly do expect that the honor roll certificates for the marking period just ended to be given out. There was a clear indication that that was going to happen.

I recommend that anyone who has any questions or concerns about this contact Mrs. Griffin directly. She was very willing to speak with us last night.

There are many ways to provide incentives, rewards, and thank yous -- I get them (and give them) at my work and at home and I would expect the schools to continue to commend students for work done well. Let's hope the new system is effective.

Nov '10

Tracy - you get a paycheck, correct? As an adult, that is your "honor roll award".

My daughter worked her butt off last year to make high honor roll...and they forgot to acknowledge it during the awards ceremony. She was devastated. Adults need to realize that kids don't get paid for going to school. They don't get paid for doing well in sports. They don't get paid for doing anything well in school like adults do in the workplace. Awards are what motivates them.

Now time for some bit**ing on my part. Hatchery Hill has decided to NOT publicly award the students who complete the Math Wizards program. For those not aware of it, if a child completes a set of time tests in addition/subtraction/multiplication/division, they are awarded a Math Wizards designation.

Last year, all but 2 or 3 students in a grade earned the designation. It is my understanding that the school will not publicly award the wizard hat at the end of year ceremony because one of the students' parent complained about their child being left out.

I am absolutely disgusted with this.

Nov '10

I agree with emaxxman. Getting a bonus or raise above and beyond what / when is usually given out, is a form of achieving honors / high honors in the real world. Hey, just because adults aren't getting the recognition in these hard times, doesn't mean the kids need to be subjected to the same lack of showing appreciation.

I think honor roll, high honors, etc. plays a more positive critical role in education than you may think. I think it breeds (for the most part), positive competition. It's a mark of distinction that kids are delighted to achieve. It's a proud badge of dedication. It's their way of appreciating the value of getting A's and B's. Take that away and what do they have to work toward?

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp Message ComputerSharp
Nov '10

On this forum we are constantly reading about kids who make poor choices and in the papers and other media outlets are always reading about the poor actions of our youth. Getting rid of ways to acknowledge our youth is disappointing. Honor roll is a way of giving credit to students who have worked hard and have achieved good grades. Why in the world would we eliminate that!! Is this another example of political correctness-if everyone can't get an award then we will give not give anything to anyone. It is the same thing I see in youth sports- everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year. We need to reward the achievements of our youth in all areas, whether it be sports, academics, music, art etc., but let's not water them down with the everyone needs to get one mentality! Children need to learn how to handle disappointment, and the fact that they are not the best at everything. When they truly earn recognition it will be even sweeter!

I totally agree Emaxxman. The parents of the children that did not complete the program should put their energy into helping their own child to achieve rather than to cry that their child did not receive a hat so nobody should get one. That is ridiculous.

youngnfresh youngnfresh Message youngnfresh
Nov '10

emaxx, I do get a paycheck. But it does not display the amount of work and effort I put into my job, nor does it reflect my education or expertise in my field. They got me on a song and a prayer because I was desperate for a job. There is absolutely no potential for raises, promotions, advancements period. But it's work and I need it to survive and since the job market is so bad, I'm stuck here, working my butt off, for practically nothing. We all are. There are some wonderful, seasoned and very experienced secretaries at this office and they are treated like less than crap. It's obscene. Every Friday it's a waiting game until they even DEIGN to give us our paychecks, at whatever time they feel like it. It actually PAINS them to have to pay us at all, especially on the very few days of vacation or holiday we get, since we won't actually be working. My employers are the most corrupt, unethical people under the sun and they take all the money WE EARN for themselves. I don't think they are the only employers like this.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be acknowledged for hard work. I actually think it's extremely motivating. I made Dean's List in college a few times. I was very proud of myself.

I'm just bitter because I never made honor roll in school. ;o) My dad even promised me a puppy if I got straight A's. I never did. :o(

Nov '10

Tracy - not sure that your rant on how unfairly you're treated at work has anything to do with your position that students should "get used to" not having honor roll recognition anymore. It was an entertaining story I guess ...

Nov '10

Tracy - I'm sorry you are going through that, but let me assure you that in my experience, what you are going through is the exception not the rule.

Nov '10

Glad my plight has you entertained, ComputerSharp, though it was hardly a rant. I was merely illustrating how sometimes no matter how hard you work, you will not be rewarded--monetarily or emotionally with an honor roll designation. This is the real world, so maybe kids should get used to it.

Alison, thanks. But I will disagree with you. You sound like the lucky one to me. I can't honestly come up with anyone I know personally that doesn't have a similar, if slightly less severe, view of their employers. Maybe you can point me in the direction of the employers you are thinking of. :o)

Nov '10

Tracy, sorry if things suck so bad for you but we are talking about middle school aged kids and elementary aged. The ones that have to suck it up are the ones that did not make honor roll and or math wizards and let the other kids that work hard at least feel like they did something to be proud of. I don't want to bash you but if you are in such a bad place work wise than your view of the world may be that it sucks everywhere for everyone and kids should just get used to it. That is very sad to me and not a good way to put confidence into children for their futures. I do hope things get better for you and you are able to some how down the road work for someone that appreciates you the way you deserve. I know you said you are stuck there for now. I hope things get better.

Nov '10

Then Tracy I bring you back to my point: "just because adults aren't getting the recognition in these hard times, doesn't mean the kids need to be subjected to the same lack of showing appreciation."

Nov '10

We got confirmation today from the HMS middle school guidance counselor that the honor roll is going away. It will be replaced with a "awards of merit" program. I don't know all of the details just yet.

I recognize that a student can excel at things other than academics. I'll reserve my opinion until the details are released.

I'm still pissed about the Wizards Hat program though. No reason whatsoever for that. It is better for a child to learn that they are NOT keeping up now rather than finding out in HS when it will really impact their future.

Nov '10

Tracy - your job does suck from what you describe but to be honest, you need to get over it. I endured 10 years of watching my company layoff people or offshore the job functions that I was part of. I actually got laid off in 2005.

*** How you decide to face an adverse situation defines what kind of person you are.***

I chose to focus on what I could do to improve my situation. As a result, I was actually able to get promotions (during these layoffs) and prove my worth to the company. When my entire dept was let go, I took it hard but I refocused myself. I was able to parlay my added experience and reputation for doing a good job into a higher position in another part of the company.

Nov '10

getting rid of honor roll is insane!!!!just my 2 cents......it gives kids something to strive for and a sense of achievement...

don't understand but will be calling school and voicing my discontent....

dismom
Nov '10

I wouldn't waste your time dismom - call the superintendent.

Kate S. Kate S. Message Kate S.
Nov '10

Honor roll is not gone....just going to honor the children in a different format. no unwind ur panties!

tocoolforschool
Nov '10

any updates???
I had heard the other nite from another parent they were NOT gettin rid of honor roll cause of all the parents protesting it.....
. and is there an honor role list posted anywhere for last semester????

dismom
Jan '11

home logic has the lists. It was posted last marking period. I would assume they post for this marking period as well.

Jan '11

i checked homelogic and didn't see any??

dismom
Jan '11

There was a list posted at the end of last marking period of the honor roll students on home logic, it was there for a few weeks, i bet if you called the school, you can get the list....

msparent
Jan '11

They probably did not put this marking period up yet. They did have the honor roll list after last marking period ended.

Jan '11

just looked and middle school honor roll list is up....

dismom
Feb '11

dismom, tried to find it to see if some friends are on it --- do you have to go through Homelogic?

trekster3 trekster3 Message trekster3
Feb '11

dismom - I'm confused. I thought the Honor Roll was eliminated. My daughter came home and told me that she would've made the high honor roll but because it was gone, she didn't get anything.

Unfortunately, I can't find my homelogic id at the moment and check the listing. I don't see anything on the main HMS website.

Feb '11

emaxxman - I wish they would at least publish it in the school newsletter....

Feb '11

trekster3...its on homelogic... when I check my middle school daughters info theirs a link.. that opens an attachement..

emaxxman... I was told they listed last quarters Honor roll on homelogic ( i missed it) and this quarters is listed on home logic

dismom
Feb '11

oh well, I guess when we get to the MS I'll get to look it up.... It's a shame that the kids don't get recognition to the general public --- I used to love reading the paper and seeing a name I knew and being proud of their accomplishment.

Feb '11

They are just listing it on homelogic Emaxxman. They are not giving out certificates or anything like that. I think they are just doing that to appease the parents that were putting up a fuss because it was not being acknowledged.

Feb '11

I had heard they were not giving out certificates because the kids that did not make honor roll felt bad.

Kate S. Kate S. Message Kate S.
Feb '11

dismom - Thanks for the pdf. I see my daughter's name. I'll let her know that she at least got the honor if not the certificate.

Maybe we should petition the school to give out good appraisals of the administration but no merit raises? It would be in line with this new "honor' roll.

Feb '11

i"m with u emaxxman.....
don't understand not recognizing the kids that do well???
My daughter made high honors... she works hard.... gets assignments in early... always does the extra ... etc etc etc....
I know they post honor roll names for the High School kids in the paper .. don't think they do that for middle school... or maybe I've just missed it...

dismom
Feb '11

trekster3 .. i posted the attachment with all the names...

dismom
Feb '11

Thanks dismom!! Congrats to your DD and all of the students who worked their tushes off to achieve this accomplishment. It's fun to see all of the names. I was pleasantly surprised to see some girls I knew from Cheerleading --- enthusiastic and bright!! gotta love it --- breaks that stereotype right down!

Feb '11

hmmm maybe a letter to the paper is in order.....

Feb '11

They used to put the HMS honor roll in the local paper. I don't get the Warren Reporter anymore for whatever reason but they used to list it in there periodically. They were not consistent with posting every marking period though.

Feb '11

Hey, trekster3, I was a cheerleader and also on honor roll, lol! I have a cheerleader in one of my classes right now who's very bright as well. I would hope that that stereotype is long long gone....

Congrats to all the kids who made honor roll! Honestly, those certificates are nice, but I never knew what to do with them! :o)

Feb '11

Yeah, you never knew what to do with them, but when you're a kid it's like a huge feather in your cap! And I know my family was very proud, especially my grandparents. And to me it's huge that I can walk up to my neighbors and their kids and say 'Congrats' --- it's a big part of why I like living in Hackettstown. I don't walk up to the other kids and say sorry you didn't make it (that would be just mean)..... BUT, the one's that succeed well HOORAY!!

Feb '11

Maybe they don't make a big deal out of it because the Honor Roll List comprises just over 50% of the school's student body (218 on the list out of 430 per the school website).

That's a lot of "special" kids. Does that mean that all "B" students are just average, and anyone with a C or under is now the equivalent of failing?

Or maybe it means that grades these days don't tell the whole story?

justintime justintime Message justintime
Feb '11

Forgot to add that almost 14% of the student population is on High Honor Roll, meaning they have all A's.

Feb '11

trekster, I'm talking about my kids' certificates, lol!

justintime, grades definitely don't tell the whole story, hence the move to not make quite such a big deal about honor roll. Also, the Honor Roll is all As and Bs, or all Bs, even. So the kid who got all B-s is still on the honor roll and, yes, s/he is special. Perhaps a B- is not great to some people, but the kids who work hard enough to get themselves out of the C range deserve some credit.

I'm not troubled by those percentages, especially the high honor roll. That seems low enough to say that not a significant majority of the kids are getting all As/A-s.

I happen to think that most of the kids on honor roll/high honor roll work pretty hard for their grades and deserve recognition. I have a child at HMS and, judging by his and his friends' work ethic, it is true in their cases, anyway.

Feb '11

Justin - I get where you're coming from. I deal with those questions every year at work when setting goals for our annual bonus objectives. - However - would any adult in the workplace think it would be OK to suddenly NOT get a bonus check because everyone made their objectives?

If the requirements for an "A" are too low, then raise them. However, keep your commitment to the kids who did what was asked of them and honor them. Don't minimize the achievement of the kids simply because the administration and educators didn't do their job.

I have yet to see a confirmation for why the honor roll is handled the way it is. I will say that in Hatchery Hill, they got rid of honoring the Math Wizards at the end of the year because of complaints from parents (of the 3 or 4 kids that did not earn the Wizard award).

I think you can certainly agree that we shouldn't punish the achievers simply to avoid hurting the feelings of those that didn't achieve.

Feb '11

All "B"'s get you on the Honor Roll? I didn't know, I thought HHR was all A's and HR was a mix of A's and B's. Thanks for the correction - that at least make a little more sense.

Feb '11

emaxx, believe me, I understand completely where you're coming from and I am not saying the kids should not be recognized for their hard work.

But...the times are a changin', that's for sure. Honor roll used to be a distinguishing accomplishment, however with 50% making the cut I don't see how that can be. Add to that the schools minimum grade policy (no, I don't know all the details, only what's I've sussed on my own and from other parents) of no grades of below 65 (I think) then you'd expect the overall averages to be higher. And if all "B's" make the honor roll, many of the kids on the list could have blown one or maybe two tests and still been given the "honor". I don't agree with that, but hey, what do I know?

But I digress. I'm too "old school" for all the new-aged manipulation that seems to go on...

Feb '11

justin - I'm right there with ya. I'm pretty shocked to find out all B's gets you on the honor roll. Personally, I would prefer:

honor roll - 90-94 avg
high honor roll - 95-100 avg

I think the fault here lies with the standards the school set and they are handling it in a very poor manner.

Feb '11

emaxxmann --- I actually prefer the HH kids getting them during the year, it's really cool seeing a kid coming out with the Hat! Makes it easy to say Good Job to just that kid. The problem last year was they didn't give a 2nd hat to kids who earned it in 3rd grade, so the kids left sitting had ALREADY earned it and when everyone else got their hat at the assembly it made them feel stupid, even though the opposite was true.

Feb '11

"The problem last year was they didn't give a 2nd hat to kids who earned it in 3rd grade, so the kids left sitting had ALREADY earned it and when everyone else got their hat at the assembly it made them feel stupid"

Wouldn't the simple solution be to have all the kids who've already earned the wizard hat bring it to school - and wear it - on that day?

Feb '11

I used a 3 ring binder with clear plastic sheet to keep all the Honor Roll/Citizenship awards. I put team pictures and special homework papers and reports in there too.

Firefly Firefly Message Firefly
Feb '11

trekster - I don't know what to make of this honor roll and Wizards situation. I can say that I'm disappointed in the whole handling of it by the school. While you can't please everone, the lack of communication is disheartening.

Feb '11

JIT --- that would have been the easy solution!
emaxxman --- it's all about communication, agreed!
Firefly --- Great Idea, gonna have to steal it to get my kids stuff organized! I already have the binders and sheet protectors already! (let's not go into my Office Supply fetish)....

Feb '11

emaxxmann, at HMS the range for an "A" is 93%-100%, and the range for a "B" is 85%-92%. It is a 7 point grading scale vs. a 10 point grading scale.

Therefore, if a student did earn all 90's-93's in her/his classes, she/he would be on the Honor Roll. In order to be on the High Honor Roll, the student must earn a 93%-100% each class, including specials and phys. ed/health.

While I certainly don't agree with the fact that there is a minimum to the "F" grade on assignments, that being a 60%, I do believe that the more rigorous grade range pushes many students to work just that little extra bit, to study more, and in the end, what is truly important, learn more.

georgea
Feb '11

Firefly --- OMG the Binder/Sheet Protector suggestion is working out brilliantly!! I now have one for each member of our family --- no rhyme or reason right now, but WOW has it made my life easier!! --- Theater/Concert tickets all mashed into one, but at least I now have a place for them!! Thanks!!

Mar '11

trekster3 That's great. Good for you. Oh you cracked me up about your "Office Supply fetish)...." Me too! I love to browse around in those departments. ahahahahah... Glad it's working out for you. The lazy man's scrapbooking. :-)

Firefly Firefly Message Firefly
Mar '11

We spend so much effort and money getting the D and F students up to C's. I don't think it's a bad thing, however, how much more bang for the buck would we get as a society if we invested a larger percentage of those resources into the really exemplary students and helped them to excel to their potential. We take away their merit, accelerated programs, gifted and talented has been stripped down to nothing, etc., etc.. Is it really in our best interested to invest exponentially more of our fixed resources into making poor students average students as opposed to giving students who work harder than everyone else the tools they need to be exceptional?

The problem is that the A students are already doing their part on the standardized testing. Why spend more money getting a kid from the 97th percentile to the 100th. Since schools, budgets, and administrator position are based on test scores there is a lot more return for a school if the 30th percentile students are bumped up to the 50's or 60's. That's not an indictment of the the teachers, its a criticism of the system and how screwed up it is. Really sad.

Today when my son gets home I'll get to show him a link to a PDF file he can be proud of. Woohoo :(

Larry Larry Message Larry
Mar '11

Larry- unfortunately you have explained the situation exactly right. It is not until the students reach HS that they have the opportunity to be with students that may also excel by taking upper level coursed such as Honors, Dual Credit and AP. When they get to the HS they should take every opportunity to participate in these courses if recommmended.

AMY1 AMY1 Message AMY1
Mar '11

We need to reinstate the certificate ASAP before something really bad happens.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42311615/ns/local_news-fort_myers_fl/

Mar '11

Please....I have heard that they are doing away with it..because..what else...a parent who's child did not make it...went in and complained. Instead of this parent(s) teaching their children that if they too work harder, they can also make it. And yes, in life at work, you do get recognitions....like it has been said, promotions, raises, a lot of companies do recognize employees with such merits as, Employee of the Month certificates, recognizing them in front of their peers...days off because of this..etc...Come on...so you can thank the person who complained.

Htownlifer Htownlifer Message Htownlifer
Mar '11

Parents who complain their kid didn't make the honor roll are retarded. It's the kids fault, not the school.

Metsman Metsman Message Metsman
Mar '11

Emaxxman, Scoops and Dismom all have kids (oh and mine too) -- on this marking the Honor Roll this marking period!! Congrats All!!

https://sti.hackettstown.org/homelogic/AttachmentView.asp?slcommon=yes&real=//hs-stiapp/hl%20files/msg_2238_250.pdf&stored=//hs-stiapp/hl%20files/msg_2238_250.pdf

Feb '12

My 5th grader made honor roll this marking period too. He did it last marking period too.

jrsemom jrsemom Message jrsemom
Feb '12

My daughter made it the first marking period. She got one C the 2nd marking period, so just missed it.

Feb '12

i have one who made the list as well, good stuff.

BrotherDog BrotherDog Message BrotherDog
Feb '12

Well, okay, if we're HL-bragging (not to be confused with Facebragging), my 8th grader got it, too. And he has one of those little * by his name! 8-) Very proud of all our HMS kids -- great teachers, great kids.

Go Tigers!

Both of mine are on there ~ : )

happy2bhere happy2bhere Message happy2bhere
Feb '12

My son made it for the first marking period, but missed it on the second because of Spanish :(

Feb '12

I have to brag as well. Aidan had a 95.6 average for the 1st marking period, a 94.3 average for the 2nd, and got an A on every mid-term :)

NWR Middle School, 7th grade

This school gives out the Patriot Award, for students that show an exceptional skill in a certain area. Aidan was one of seven students to receive it the 1st marking period. His was 'artistic'.

He was also asked to be part of the Gifted Program.

This Mom is proud as a peacock, and grateful that her child is a better student than she EVER was, lol

Feb '12

All A's for my 7 th grade grand-daughter...

Lori --- Amen to the kids being better than us!!

Congrats to all of our wonderful kids : )

Feb '12

thanks Trekster for the heads up

dismom dismom Message dismom
Feb '12

well my youngest 5th got all A's.............8th grader is in the accelerated math Algebra class so dont expect to see her HIgh Honors this year she got B in that class .....but who knows she may surprise us.......Congrats to all the kids who made honors and to all the kids who tried their hardest whether they made it or not...whats important is that they make their best effort.....

Feb '12

Love, Love, Love Home Logic at HMS and HHS by the way --- popped on to check on my 5th graders grades and there was an assignment with an F and a 4th marking period grade of a C! I'm proud of her regardless, but she started crying (oh my).... emailed the teacher last night (late) got a reply last night (WOW), got a follow-up email this morning.... my daughter had the assignment, just hadn't turned it in (whew)... grades already corrected.... wonderful response by the teacher!! And now my daughter knows she can keep her extra-curricular activities.... before you all jump on me, I only ask for C's or better, she's just really motivated...

May '12

trekster3 - It's not the "Home Logic" company, but in our business we have helped one of their competitors in other states with web based school portals. They are one of the really good uses of technology to help get parents, teachers, and students all together. Keep being involved. ;-)

Where do we go to see and/or print the "honor roll" for HMS?

May '12

it's posted on the Home Logic page for parents to see, there's not one up for past marking period, you would have to contact the school to get a copy....

Trekster3 Trekster3 Message Trekster3
May '12

really trekster??? they arent even posting it on homelogic anymore??? i just dont get it........why not Honor the kids who did well.......Just called HS the 0ther day to see if they would give me my Sons ranking at the HS ....hes a Junior and we are starting to look at Colleges and just wanted to get a feel how he was doing within his class.......and was told they no longer give out class ranking...

May '12

What? So the bully's and whiners are winning!!

And why are we the ONLY district that doesn't publish -- and they wonder why we are not perceived as a good district!

May '12

I say we start making phone calls and writing letters ~ the squeaky wheel syndrome seems to be the way to go nowadays : (

May '12

Did they give a specific reason?? It might have something to do with the right to publish children's names. Many people opt out of allowing their children's names in papers, etc.

May '12

Every year I sign off on the 'your child may be photographed' etc., waiver --- so people can certainly opt out.... so I don't think it's that... I think I will write a letter, we have a new super maybe he'd be willing to make the change : )

May '12

I just saw a link on the HMS homepage for the 3rd Marking Period Honor Roll. Congrats to all the students who earned it.

jrsemom jrsemom Message jrsemom
May '12

My daughter made it. Now I just have to kick my son into gear.

May '12

Emaxxman, Scoops and Dismon - Congrats!
Nice to know my daughter is in such good company : )

May '12

Post #100: Perfect score for me puts me on the HL High Honor Roll lol.

Proud of my kids as well - keep up the good work guys!

May '12

My two made it as well ~ beaming with pride :D

May '12

My 8th grader made all A's again. So proud

soproud soproud Message soproud
May '12

How come they never post the High School honor roll list?

realist realist Message realist
May '12

I did send an email to the new super.... who knows...

May '12

The HS had an awards ceremony for underclassmen today. High honor roll and a number of other awards were handed out. Parents were notified and asked to attend.

Jun '12

Congratulations to my amazing daughter on making Honor Roll yet again! I am delighted to see the regular 'cast of characters' who join her on the list as well. I love knowing that so many of her peers are not only wonderful scholars, but fantastic young people! I can't wait to see what amazing things this class does in the coming years!

Congrats emaxxman, dismom, happy2behere (x2) & scoops too! I know there's a couple more HL'ers kids on the list I just don't remember their HL Screen Names!!!

Feb '13

Thanks and congrats to you as well trekster.

Feb '13

Congrats to all the kids. Job well done.

botheredbyu botheredbyu Message botheredbyu
Feb '13

Thanks Trekster... right back at you! congrats to all!!! My two knuckleheads are always on the honor roll with me.. if not at school then at home!! I am proud of them no matter what. As long as they tried their best.. that's good enough for me!!!..A=Attitude,B=Believe in yourself.C=Caring,D=Determination,E=Effort,F=Friendship!! If you put them all together in a school year ..............They have made the Honor Roll!!

scoop scoop Message scoop
Feb '13

thanks for posting Trekster or i would not even have known the honor roll was up.... congrats to all the kids................. does anyone know if they post the HS ones anywhere????

Feb '13

This thread is insulting to all who didn't make the honor roll. I think it should be locked.

ianimal ianimal Message ianimal
Feb '13

Congratulations to all the kids and thank you, Trekster, for letting us know the list was up.

@scoop ~ totally agree ~ :)

Feb '13

I never knew this existed! Does anyone have the link to the 1st marking period?

grapes grapes Message grapes
Feb '13

grapes, only the 2nd marking period is on Homelogic, but I'm sure if you email the school, they'll send you a copy over!

Feb '13

I agree with you ianimal about this topic insulting to those children who didn't make honor roll.

One cannot tell which children really deserve honor roll. Lot's of kids have IEPs and may get better grades than others because they are in easier classes and get help throughout the marking period. I wonder what parents would complain if their child's course schedule and ranking were announced too. :)

I guess it's just another way for parents to brag about their children.

BTW...my kids are on high honor roll, and they did it all by themselves. hahahhaah

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

NW, it's not bragging, it's being proud of THEIR accomplishment, not mine. We hear all the crime reports, DWI's, etc. why not spread some GOOD NEWS! And really so many kids could be on the Honor Roll if they applied themselves, so YES I think we should honor the kids that worked their tushy's off to get there. Welcome to the real world.

Feb '13

Firstly, ianimal is being sarcastic because many other threads have people saying the thread should be locked because they're potentially offensive or insensitive. I'm pretty sure he doesn't really care who makes the honor roll or not.

Secondly, if your kid didn't make honor roll, it's the kid's fault. MS/HS classes are not graded on curves so it doesn't matter what another kid does. Stop bitching about life being unfair. When you get to college (and post-college), the world is going to be full of people who had advantages that you didn't. Get used to it.

Lastly, since the kids started MS, they've been on their own. They needed to learn how to correct their mistakes in MS when it "didn't count" so they could be prepared in HS when grades "do count".

Feb '13

I think it's more about you than your children. Are they the ones that have extra help to boost their grades and take do over tests when they fail or do poorly the first time?
You seem to care who makes it and who doesn't because of your post. Call the kids out some more.

I don't post every time my children make HIGH honor roll. I"m proud of them even if they don't make it, and they've made it every time.

Emaxxman....are you talking about HMS because they certainly grade on curves. A parent can sign a test for extra points. A child can stay after to boost a grade. Oh yeah, your child/children probably take the do over test as well so they have the advantage of making honor roll. Since when do grades not count in middle school? Are you still checking your child's homework, calling the school at every chance, bringing in items that were forgotten? Probably so.

Nasty people on here, but I love it. :)

Who is bitching about life being unfair? You are.

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

NW - I'm calling you a total bull-shi**er! You're lashing out at parents for being proud of their kids and then imply they only made it on the honor roll because of some generous extra help. What's to say your kids aren't getting the same help? Prove to me that they aren't. In fact, prove to us that your kid is even on honor roll.

Curve? Really? They are graded on a very clear-cut grading system. Show me an example of a class graded on a curve.

Also, I hope your kid's reading comprehension skill level is better than yours. As I stated, we stopped checking their work at the start of MS. Perhaps you should ask for some extra credit reading work to improve your skills.

The only person on here who has shown any nastiness or bitterness is you.

Feb '13

I don't know why I get surprised that sharing Good News can turn into this....

I have 3 very different and unique children, each one has their skills and talents and I will applaud their successes at EVERY opportunity, regardless of what skill/talent they excelled at that deserved recognition! To do otherwise would negate their effort, determination and talent. Oh and judging by my kids' talents they got virtually NONE of it from me so I certainly cannot take credit for it. For the record I have one that is mechanically gifted, one that is athletically gifted and one that is intellectually gifted.

Why shouldn't they and we be proud of their accomplishment? You make it sound like all they had to do was show up. You make it sound like I should be ashamed of them.

And yes, when they don't make the honor roll, I find merit in their efforts (remember the mechanically inclined one?)... He ended up getting a Presidential Award for showing extraordinary improvement. He busted his butt and did his best, it wasn't honor roll, but I applauded that achievement and was there for him at the Award Ceremony because I am so proud of his effort!

As far as HMS goes, I don't ever remember signing a test, the only time I brought in work for my child was because it was too cumbersome for her to carry to school (it was on time), (FYI, if she forgets to pack her lunch I don't bring that either, don't laugh scoop). I DO NOT check her homework (I don't check my 4th graders, either) she has the understanding that it his HER job to take care of it. I don't remember the last time I called the school for ANY reason, certainly not to assist my daughter in her grades. Thank goodness for Homelogic because I do look at it, probably once a week and if there's an anomaly I ask her about it. It is her choice and her actions that either fixes it or doesn't. I try to teach my kids to handle their responsibilities and problems when they are little so that later in life when the problems are bigger they know what to do (and have an idea of consequences).

My job as a parent is to raise an ADULT, not a child, to do any of those things is enabling behavior and creates an 'entitlement' attitude. I will try my best to avoid the problems that that causes in the future.

And you're the only one really bragging here, you make it a point that your child made HIGH honor roll twice. Congratulations to them, we all know they worked hard for that achievement!

It seems to me that you have the attitude of 'so what' by your every effort to diminish and demean their hard work. I'm guessing if they win a trophy at a sport, get's the lead in a play, builds a beautiful piece of furniture or any other accomplishment you chalk it up to them getting a boost up there too, because they certainly couldn't have done it themselves.

Feb '13

Perhaps you should check what you wrote. You stated "the" kids not "my" kids so that implied you were speaking for everyone. You must not be involved at the middle school since you don't know that there are curves in the classes. Ooops, I must have missed you at the last meeting.

What do I have to prove to you? You're the one bragging on here. Maybe you should pay attention to your children and tell them good job and not put it on here.

Where do you see me lashing out at parents or Bullpooping? I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are.

Me compahention tinks. hee hee hee

Clearly you are unarmed in this battle of wits.

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

I think neighborhood watcher misunderstands what a curve is! I curve is when grades are given in comparison to the other kids in the class. What you are talking about may be considered grade inflation, but it is not grading 'on a curve'.

bac bac Message bac
Feb '13

Me no smart

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

Trekster...I never said that my child made high honor roll twice. They do it everytime, and I never took out a bulletin. Also, they are athletic and get the highest awards in that too.

hahahahhaha

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

neighborhood watcher, apparently the 'hahahahaha' is on you. No one said that you said your kids made high honors twice. They said that you commented twice that your kids make high honors.

So when you say "Me compahention tinks. hee hee hee" & "Me no smart", you are correct...

Feb '13

NW- I know first hand a LOT about the middle school and you are making it seem like the whole school works on a curve, which is a flat out lie. There may be a teacher or two who do something like that, but I have never heard of a teacher having parents sign a test, etc. for extra points. I would love to personally know which teachers you are talking about because I know pretty much all of them and I feel that you are trying to group in everyone together. Again there may be a teacher or two who inflate grades, etc., but please do not make it seem like the whole school does it because they don't.

In regards to the honor roll, good for the children who make the honor roll. While I do not completely agree with how it is done, I think children should be proud of themselves for their hard work. I will say however that parents can be downright viscous towards teachers if their child has a 94 and needs a 95 to get on the high honor roll. A child gets what they have earned, not what they THINK they deserve.

biffy852004 biffy852004 Message biffy852004
Feb '13

Holy Shnikies!!!!! All I would say is: If my one daughter got on honor roll or merit roll..Trust me the WHOLE town would be hearing about this!!! and yes Trekster..I did laugh!!! I have brought them their lunch when they have forgotten it... As for my other Brainiac.. she has been on the honor roll and I am Very proud of her...
However, I have signed tests before and papers that they hadn't done well on..This is to show that as a parents we are aware that they did not achieve their potential goal. If the teacher(s) feel that the child was having problems on a specific section and know that the child does know the solution, then the teacher will allow the student to redo it. this allows them to not fail a class but to bring up their grade. The teacher now knows where the student is having problems or just needs a little push...

Feb '13

NW....you have SOOO insulted your own intelligence...(what is there)...by your comments. We are talking about children!!! Be gratefull that you have happy and healthy ones, ones that can read,write,comprehend,play,laugh and have fun.. Their are many parents out there that would cherish an "Honor Roll" acknowledgement!!!!!! and will never get one! So if this small issue brings out the ugliness in you with your comments, then shame on you for Not giving a child a good "pat on their back"... Everyone likes a "kudos" every once in a while!!!

Feb '13

Reread biffy. I agree with you.
Reread lori. I don't agree with you. How'd you guess how ugly and trollish I am. You're smart. :)
Every post is open to opinions.
Reread scoop. I'm not insulting children.

Have a great day.

neighborhood watcher
Feb '13

NW: I said YOU insulted YOUR OWN intelligence..I think you should re-read!

Feb '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Hackettstown Middle School Honor Roll
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.