Celebrities in Warren/Sussex/Morris

Hello all -
A rather odd request... I'm looking at doing an educational reading program at my school and need a "kickoff" for it - so I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone knows if we have any friendly semi-famous people in the area (or if you know of a website where I might be able to get that info - google was not very helpful.) TIA

i believe harrison ford had a house in blairstown, whitney houston in mendham.....

icicle
Nov '10

You would want Whitney Houston apart of a educational reading program? or perhaps you are just mentioning that she lived in the area, let's hope so. lol

vicnity
Nov '10

Try calling Centenary College. With all the shows going on and concerts maybe they would know of any in the area for the day and you can borrow them.

Christine Christine Message Christine
Nov '10

Re: Celebrities in Warren/Sussex/Morris

keith Jarret...the world famous pianist...lives in Oxford...please respect his privacy...Peter Gabriel...of Genesis...and Peter Gabriel fame lived for many years quietly...just off of Rustling road...Lou Reed { of The Velvet Underground }...lived in Blairstown for many years...Celeste Holm the movie actress has made her home in the Hackettstown area for many years...some of your favorite movie stars...live right nearby...and you would not recognize them...they prefer to remain anonymous...

oldman oldman Message oldman
Nov '10

Keith Jarrett has just over 20 acres in Oxford. See it's not that bad of a town :)

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Nov '10

There is a local artist that illustrates children's book in the area. I will see her later this week and will ask her permission to post her name and info.

She has done school programs before but they were for the schools her children attended.

I knew about Lou Reed, but cool to know so many celebrities live/have lived near by.

Nutmeg
Nov '10

Joe Piscopo lives in chester an Jim Bruer lives in chester

Bergey Bergey Message Bergey
Nov '10

Jim Breur is in Chester...he's great too, loves to help with anything related to kids. James Gandolfini lives in Chester too....Trump golfs every weekend at his course in Far Hills. They probably wouldn't do anything, but Jim would. Really a nice guy.

kelleo22
Nov '10

Madison Hedgecock (NY Giants FB) lives in Allamuchy...and Jim Brewer (SNL comedian) lives in Flanders...

Coach Coach Message Coach
Nov '10

Isn't Whitney trying to sell the Mansion, she cannot afford the 50k+ taxes since she and BB broke up.

It's Jim Breuer and he doesn't live in Flanders, but in a great place nearby.

Jay Jay Message Jay
Nov '10

I stand corrected Jay...jeez... :)

Many Jets live in Morristown...Sanchez included...

Nov '10

Sorry, just stating the facts a little rough...

Jay Jay Message Jay
Nov '10

LOL...must be Chester then...that's a 'bit' higher priced...or wait Long Valley... :)

Nov '10

I didn't realize there were so many close by! I did in fact meet Jim Brewer (Thought he said he lived in Chester) anyway I didn't have a clue who he was and chatted with him a few times at chubb Park in chester. He was there with 2 of his kids. He was very friendly and played soccer with the kids I was caring for. I do remember in the course of conversation asking him what he did for a living and his response was "I work nights" The next time his wife was also there and he said she didn't work. I remember thinking to myself Ok... What do they do sell drugs? lol.

Funny thing was a few months later, I was watching the comedy channel and he was on and thats when I realized who I had been talking to!!!

I am sure most would prefer not to be recognized.

JRT JRT Message JRT
Nov '10

JAG
Maryann McFadden is a Hackettstown High Alumna who has had some success as an author. I contacted her for permission before suggesting her and she would be interested. She might be a good fit, since books are her passion.

HappyCamper HappyCamper Message HappyCamper
Nov '10

I love this post! Keep em coming!

Ladybug Ladybug Message Ladybug
Nov '10

I wish I had known about Peter Gabriel. I would've mowed his lawn for free to be near his awesomeness.

I'd agree about Hedgecock or Breuer. I believe Breuer performed at a project graduation in the area because he had a niece or nephew graduating? And I believe Hedgecock helps out at Tranquility Farms and loves it?

btownguy btownguy Message btownguy
Nov '10

Is that Peter Gabriel thing true? Who else has heard of that or knows of that? I've definitely heard of all others stated here.

Ladybug Ladybug Message Ladybug
Nov '10

hedgecock helps out at all the local farms in area.

jd4020
Nov '10

thats the truth about Peter Gabriel...and not only that...he was a very nice person to know...but he wanted his privacy...he also entertained his celebrity friends at his home but still wanted privacy...when Lou Reed lived in Blairstown he was like a regular member of the community...he rode his motorcycle around town...donated money to the fire department and shopped at Shop-Rite in Newton...by the way...Kevin Eshelman...Hackettstown High School graduate 1976...got into the movie business...and wound up with a decent part in the Oliver Stone movie..."Platoon"...in 1986...i knew Kevin and worked with him before he got into the movies

Nov '10

Deborah Ann "Debbie" Harry (born July 1, 1945) is an American singer-songwriter and actress, most famous for being the lead singer for the punk rock Blondie was as student at the collage

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Nov '10

I heard Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the memoir Eat Pray Love) lives in Hackettstown, but I don't know if it's true. Looking at her website, it may be that she lives in Clinton. She's going to be at an event in Clinton on Saturday!

http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/Events.htm

She'd be a great person to kick off an educational reading program.

So would Maryann McFadden; she has been in the area for quite a long time and would probably be quite amenable to the idea.

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town Message Hopeful in H-town
Nov '10

Phil Boyce and his wife Diana live in Andover.....a great guy and good friend ...was programming director for WABC Radio and won the Marconi Award for broadcasting(a huge accomplishment) at least 2 times.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Boyce

I am sure he would help...

jettailgaiter
Nov '10

During the 70's and 80's Jean Shephard (real name Ralph Parker) lived in the Hope/Blairstown area. Author of the Christmas Story, several other other books, radio and TV personality and one of the early writers for Playboy Magazine.

Dave Tofani, world renowned Jazz Woodwind player (sax, flute and others) lives in the Washington area.

A good friend so I don't want to give too much away.

This is his info though. Read the bio and buy his stuff if you like Jazz

www.solowinds.com
www.davetofani.com

Tito Santana lives in Morris County. I believe Mooney Mountain. His wife owns a hair salon in the Ledgewood Mall.

Dubs Dubs Message Dubs
Nov '10

Have not heard of a lot of these people, lol

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp Message ComputerSharp
Nov '10

CS - I'm with you. Most of the people, I don't know. :)

Alison Alison Message Alison
Nov '10

Tito Santana is a teacher in Roxbury school district. May be a help?

Cherie Cherie Message Cherie
Nov '10

Bobby Caldwell lives in Great Meadows / Liberty area he is big in Japan had a hit Xmas remake of Baby its Cold Outside with Vanessa Williams a few years back. www.bobbycaldwell.com/

tigerfan tigerfan Message tigerfan
Nov '10

I thought I was the only one who has not heard of most of these people I thought I was too young or something

Nosila Nosila Message Nosila
Nov '10

I admit I'm slightly OOT with these people too - but thank you for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I have to think of something that will grab the attention of students grades k-8 : )

Haven't heard of most of them either.

copygirl copygirl Message copygirl
Nov '10

We're certainly stretching the limit of the word "celebrity", that's for sure, lol.

ianimal ianimal Message ianimal
Nov '10

Tito Santana started teaching when I finished up High School. He was a sub gym teacher then. He let us beat the crap out of each other in dodge ball one day. Was great!

Rick Porcello, a starting pitcher for the Detroit Tigers lives in Chester.

Metsman
Nov '10

Nosila - perhaps we are too young ... isn't that a good thing? :-)

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp Message ComputerSharp
Nov '10

Jimmi Simpson - movies, television, stage and now director. Married to Melanie of Two and half men fame. If you don't recognize the name here are some things he's done. Live on Russling Road, attended Great Meadows School and HHS - mom still lives in the area.

Movies
2010 The Knights of Badassdom Ronnie Kwok (filming)
2010 Date Night Armstrong
2010 The Mother of Invention Martin Wooderson
2010 Good Intentions Kyle
2009 Taking Chances Charlie Cabonara
2009 The Invention of Lying Bob
2008 A Quiet Little Marriage Jackson
2007 Zodiac Mike Mageau (Older)
2007 Itty Bitty Titty Committee Chris
2006 Seraphim Falls Big Brother
2006 Stay Alive Phineus
2005 Herbie: Fully Loaded Crash
2004 D.E.B.S Scud
2000 Loser Noah

Television
2002 Rose Red (miniseries) Kevin Bollinger Television mini series
2002 The Division Sean Townsend 1 episode
2002 24 Chris 3 episodes
2003 NYPD Blue Mike 1 episode
2003 Cold Case Ryan Bayes 1 episode "Churchgoing People"
2005 Carnivale Lee 2 episodes
2006 My Name is Earl David Hayes 2 episodes
2005–Present It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Liam McPoyle 5 episodes
2007 Girltrash! Valentine
2008 Eleventh Hour Will Sanders 1 episode
2008–2009 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Thomas Donover 2 episodes
2009 House M.D Fr. Daniel Bresson Episode Unfaithful
2008–2009 Late Show with David Letterman Lyle the Intern 12 episodes
2009 Virtuality Virtual Man Pilot turned TV Movie
2009–2010 Psych Mary Lightly 2 episodes: An Evening With Mr. Yang (3.16) and Mr. Yin Presents (4.16)
2010 Party Down Jackal Onassis 1 episode

Stage
The Farnsworth Invention as Philo T. Farnsworth

Kath
Nov '10

Jimmi Simpson is an HHS grad that has done well for himself as an actor. His wife, Melanie Lynskey, is also a famous actress that played in Two and a Half Men as Rose. Unfortunately they live in LA.

Steve Zahn (from Reality Bites etc.) lives in White Township.

fuentes
Nov '10

Did Zahn move from Knowlton? Because I do know he used to live there (and where), but I don't remember hearing he moved.

As a side note, Ric Flair's (WHOOOO!) son went to Blair Academy. I saw him in the Blairstown A&P once.

Nov '10

I love Steve Zahn!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town Message Hopeful in H-town
Nov '10

I heard Harrison Ford sold his place. He was seen numerous times at the Blairstown Airport. And I heard that James Gandolfini is not in Pottersville anymore since his divorce. This is all hearsay though!

I am with you Hopeful, I love Steve Zahn.

I didn't know Jimmi Simplson was married to Melanie Lynskey. He and I have several mutual friends. Thanks for the information.

Lou Dobbs lives in Sussex County, somewhere near Newton I think.

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson Message Erik B. Anderson
Nov '10

Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka of the World Wrestling Federation lived in Chester in the '80's when I was a kid, too.

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson Message Erik B. Anderson
Nov '10

James Gandolfini...of "The Sopranos " fame moved to a larger more secluded home on the outskirts of Tewksbury...after he re-married

Nov '10

Joe Piscopo was in Mansfield walmart last week with his daughter!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3 Message Mommyof3
Dec '10

Sam Edelman the shoe designer is in the Chester area

Anonymous
Dec '10

Right here in liberty township and they went to Hackettsown High
The Semonski Sisters
were a family musical act that appeared on television's The
Lawrence Welk Show from 1975 to 1977.

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Dec '10

OK, so not Warren/Sussex/Morris, but I just have to share that I literally bumped into (I almost tripped him actually) Stephen Colbert, of The Colbert Report, in Whole Foods in Montclaire last night. DH & I are fans, so it was nice to see him up close, though it was certainly closer than expected, haha

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Dec '10

Stephen Colbert lives in Montclair.
Also have to add that Jim Breuer was great Saturday night at the Mt Olive High School. Loved the bit about the "wall of Chester".

blackcat blackcat Message blackcat
Dec '10

blackcat,

I know that now, haha

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Dec '10

Yes he was blackcat. I had a great time at the show. My face hurt by the end of the night.

Dec '10

Joe Pesci is a good friend of my cousin...Joe Pesci...has been spotted at the Rockaway Mall...and he frequents an Italian Restaurant in Dover New Jersey... Joe Pesci is originally from Bloomfield/Bellville New Jersey

Dec '10

I am here!

Teacher@Princeton
Dec '10

Lou Reed died today at age 71.

grapes grapes Message grapes
Oct '13

Two years ago I took intra-oral x-rays on Joe Piscopo's tooth and did not realize it was him until after he left.

positive positive Message positive
Oct '13

What a guy. You're all so lucky to have shared his air.

Piscopo married Nancy Jones in 1973; the couple has a son. He married his son's nanny, Kimberly Driscoll, in 1997, and they have three children. She filed for divorce in 2006. Piscopo has been the subject of widespread allegations of child abuse, though he denies any wrongdoing.

http://www.biography.com/people/joe-piscopo-224895

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter Message Reggie Voter
Oct '13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNknGIKkoA

No more walks on the wild side for Lou Reed. RIP

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu Message Andy Loigu
Oct '13

Well that's a shame....he seemed very nice, down to earth and polite. I'm not one to pay attention to celebrity gossip.

positive positive Message positive
Oct '13

Didn't Celeste Holme once live on Schooley's Mtn? Deceased, of course. But weren't there other celeb families on Schooley's Mtn? "Oh yes"...Ruth Scarborough (former librarian at Centenary back in the 70's when I attended there when it was all girls :) ) Her nephew, Chuck Scarborough tv news reporter lived on the top of Schooley's. Big house on the right. I'll betcha that there are a whole bunch of celebs on Schooley's. Anyone know of any?

just the facts maam just the facts maam Message just the facts maam
Oct '13

Billie Worth Burr lived on Schooley's Mt. the late 40's thru 60's . Not sure when she moved . She was an actress on Broadway and in the London theater. She may have been in some early movies too...

Spring Fever Spring Fever Message Spring Fever
Oct '13

Jackie -Kennedy-Onassis passed through Hackettstown on a regular basis.She once used the ladies room at the Gulf gas station on Main street. They took the toilet seat and put it in public view. They posted a sign, " Jackie O sat here".

CommonSense
Oct '13

CommonSense,

Are you familiar with another poster on this forum named "oldman"?

Henry
Oct '13

Henry. Give me a clue. http://youtu.be/7mSyFPJcCAA

CommonSense
Oct '13

Jackie O had a house in Far Hills I believe. My dad got to see it when one of his customers was doing some remodeling. He said it was fairly modest.

Neal Cavuto of Fox News lives in Mendham. Gigantic place. Has what looks like a dozen chimneys.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ Message MeisterNJ
Oct '13

I knew Billie Worth Burr through my Mom and the Chester Theatre Group. Billie was in a few plays in Chester and was a good actress. We went to her house for a cast party once, sometime in the early 80's. Great memories. Thanks Spring Fever for mentioning her.

mansfield mama mansfield mama Message mansfield mama
Oct '13

ABC traffic reporters Tim Rice and his wife Shannon Sohn live in Long Valley. They are the nicest people too.

Colleen26 Colleen26 Message Colleen26
Oct '13

Aleister Crowley's ashes are buried in Hampton, NJ.

wow - where?

skippy skippy Message skippy
Oct '13

Jackie O had a green Audi, I saw her driving it a few times.... right among us "common folks."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu Message Andy Loigu
Oct '13

A little memory refresher for Henry about posting about Jackie O -

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/62329#t266071

Mystery Solved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPaeONSn_8

Yogi Bera lives in bergen cty. I played golf with him many times at the Ridgewood CC

EDD EDD Message EDD
Nov '13

Pavlick lives in Sussex cty

EDD EDD Message EDD
Nov '13

Ken Kelsch famous director of photography for many movies and TV series

Very good friend of mine

EDD EDD Message EDD
Nov '13

EDD, I believe Yogi Berra still lives in Montclair in Essex County. I used to see him at Immaculate Conception Church on Sunday mornings.

Babs Babs Message Babs
Nov '13

there was a famous boxer who was known as the bayonne bleeder, he fought ali, he still lives in Bayonne New Jersey, i have seen him on the streets

Lee Rouson who played for the Giants in there 86 and 90 superbowls lives in Budd lake, he even coached for mount live.

Lee gave us his limo (and driver) to use for our wedding back in the 90's...He lived in Flanders at that time. He was involved in selling high protein pasta and used to come in where I worked. He offered to give us one of his Akita puppies, but we could not have pets where we lived, super nice guy!

Babyblues
Nov '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.