roller rink changed to indoor socer field? Seriously?

Ok, so I heard rumors that the indoor roller rink owner (rt 57) has let the condition of the building lapse severely. This has all been planned by him as he now wishes to rip the rink out and make an indoor soccer field.

Personally, I like the rink. There are kids that go there (and stay off the streets); its another option instead of ice skating; and seriously?? soccer? We have soccer fields ALL over Hackettstown & Mansfield Township. They also have a speed skating team that one of my kids was interested in joining. And now??

Not to mention my family and I go to the Roller Derby bouts.. it makes for a fun family night. This will no longer be available. Its good "clean" fun for a low cost for an entire family. Where else can you find that in this area?? Its like a "Medival Times" bout for WAY less money and gives you a sense of rooting for your HOME team.

So where else is there a local roller rink?? is there any way we can STOP the owner from turning the building into YET another soccer field?? (which will PROBABLY be available to ONLY leagues and NOT public)

dora dora Message dora
Nov '10

I am sad to hear this, as I also go to the roller rink to watch the Roller Derby. What will happen to those nice girls? I love that they are strong, women playing a sport like this in our town. I go with my mom who is 83 years old, and she used to drive with all of her friends to Philadelphia to watch Roller derby when she was younger. This is a shame!!

Sandra
Nov '10

umm just part of the place is turning into a soccor field. not the hole thing

deadhead deadhead Message deadhead
Nov '10

There's a roller rink in broadway on 57

Meeeee
Nov '10

How are the roller derby matches? I have a friend the is on the Skyland Roller Girls. She keeps asking for me to come and see, but I haven't had a chance to check out a match yet. Is it worth the $12 pp to get in?

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Nov '10

deadhead - the roller rink is being destroyed. To make way for the soccer field and what ever else.
calico - its about supporting your friend... right? so the $12 is well worth it. My daughter loves it because - as Sandra said - it confirms for a girl about a STRONG confident woman.

dora dora Message dora
Nov '10

The matches are so much fun, and very much worth the $12 at the door. But you can buy them from your friend on the team for $10 before the match.

Sandra
Nov '10

well, it makes soccer players happy :)

Oh, and yeah, there are a lot of soccer fields, but what good are they when they are under 6" of snow?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Nov '10

dora - Call them strong if you like, but I don't know some of those women are actually quite beastly....LOL ;-)

Joking aside, the important question is.....after I pay $20/$24 for DH and I to attend the match, will I be able to get a BEER?

Nov '10

NO, but they go to Marley's after the bout. The bouts last about 2 hours from start to finish. I enjoy it. Hoping to attend this Saturday.

Just Asking Just Asking Message Just Asking
Nov '10

Thanks for the info JA. I guess we will be skipping it. That's way too long to go without a cold one on a Saturday night for us, which is why you will never catch us at a movie ;-) Hope you enjoy if you go. Don't forget to give a review.

Nov '10

That's too bad Calico. Bouts are great to watch. Just a side note, bottles can carry any booze you want. As long as you're not a mess..

Now, those beastly women, you must be talking about the OTHER teams that the Skyland Roller Girls bouts...all the woman in hackettstown are pretty good looking.

Now, a few things. If the owner would just change the floor to sport court...you could probably have all of the sports there at once, but that's just a bit too ingenious for someone to think of per se. The owner let that place rot...I've been there where a spill on a table lasted a month before anyone (a non employee) had to bring towels from home to clean it. It smells like mold, or cat pee at times and before everyone event, the girls who do roller derby need to clean the place up themselves as best they can.
Not to mention, the owner hires people who defecate and urinate in the women's bathroom on the floor, in bags, in the trash, etc. It's lovely.

Does anyone know of any zoning codes of that place, etc?
I would personally love the owner to sell to someone who actually wants to keep it a rink who will fix it up and make it a success again.

And lastly...12$ for a bout is pretty good. Good looking ladies in short shorts and fishnets? you can't go wrong. I'm going this saturday...hopefully the owner will be there so I can ask what his plans are with it...he usually is!

TYGP TYGP Message TYGP
Nov '10

Okay Calico, this goes to another thread where you said that you drink for the taste yet you're letting your drinking affect whether or not you to a 2 hr. Roller Derby or even a movie. And that's NOT a problem? okay

not me
Nov '10

Not me - When I go to a sporting event, I enjoy the taste of a beer. Not much different than those that enjoy a bucket of popcorn at a movie. I bet there would be some who would not go to a movie if they couldn't get popcorn, so I don't want to go to a sporting event where I can't get a beer.

That being said, I can certainly make it way longer than two hours without one. My handy dandy alcohol consumption tote board tells me that I have not had an alcoholic beverage since Monday Night Football, so I'm way over 36 hours at this point. OMG!!!! Call the paramedics!!!! LOL

Nov '10

Calico, you also said that you don't go to the movies because you can't get a beer and that's why we wouldn't catch you there either.

not me
Nov '10

not me - Yes, I also enjoy a beer with my movie. Which is why I watch them at home.

Nov '10

Calico, it's a bit sad you can't set aside two hours to support a local event in your town because it's a family oriented event where they don't serve beer. They give discounts at the after party and you can drink a beer in your car before and/or after you go inside.
At least you can go to work without drinking, I hope.

TYGP TYGP Message TYGP
Nov '10

TYGP - I would not drink a beer in my car, that would be illegal. BTW, I don't live in H'town and I do I go to work every day w/o drinking :)

Nov '10

Dora who are you to say that someone should not change up their business yet look for ways to stop it ?!?!?!!? Who's to say town residents would not like to go watch soccer matches and they wouldn't host a winter youth soccer league giving kids more to do in the winter then just basketball

shoebie shoebie Message shoebie
Nov '10

Chill Out already has an indoor field, don't they? I hate all the duplicate businesses in town... I prefer the roller skating rink as just that. I don't currently go, but I did when I was a kid, and when I eventually DO have kids, I would certainly go back.

Sandy Sandy Message Sandy
Nov '10

Sounds like a great place for me to bring my kids for a nice family outing: people bringing in drinks "as long as they are not a mess", piss and crap all over the floor and a nice place that I can sit and have a snack on a table with mold on it.

I say get rid of the place. Maybe the owner of the building is changing it because of the crowd. Maybe he is sick and tired of people treating his business like their bathrooms. Maybe he wants to make this into a nice family oriented soccer building where people might take care of the place. Who knows?

Skipper
Nov '10

Def would like to see it STAY as a roller rink :/ Does it still have that indoor jungle gym thing in there? My kid loved that.

icicle
Nov '10

I was told that the roller rink was staying and the other side where they did the skate boarding events is being turned into a soccer field. I think its great!

Christine Christine Message Christine
Nov '10

According to the owner the skate park is going not the rink.

SRG Fan
Nov '10

I bring my kids to the derby bouts all the time. They are totally kid friendly. Btw as far as beastly goes I(and my husband) will attest that the girls are gorgeous. Seriously

louise g
Nov '10

Hey skipper....I guess you don't bring your little snowflakes outside your prison....I mean home. People drink at sporting events....I'm sure there are plenty of parents that liquor it up while there darlings are on the field. And at least the rink offers a bathroom...last kiddie game I went to I had to walk to a nearby restaurant to take a leak.

bigbob
Nov '10

Great idea. Add a basketball court and batting cages and we're on our way to a great little sports complex.

pvmom
Nov '10

From all the threads I am reading, there is one common theme.................."used to" and "I will".
THere is hardly anything that says I will support this venue " NOW" and that's what the rink needs !!

It needs everyone to come out NOW !!! and support the Roller Derby Girls, the speed skating team, the figure skating team, the open skate times and perhaps it may even revitalize family night again.

How do yo expect an owner to keep sinking dollars on "the past" and on the hopes of "the future".

I am a business owner and I understand the difficulties of running a business. It is certainly not an easy task even in better times, never mind now.

The town still expects their taxes paid, the utilities and insurance in such a building can't be minimal.

I am for whatever will keep any kids off the street and for them to go to a nice clean place where the patrons themselves can keep the venue clean and not disrespect it.

A nice turf floor for soccer, baseball, lacrosse and field hockey would be perfect. Another floor for basketball, volleyball, roller rink, speed skating, figure skating and other wood sports would be greatly appreciated by all.

I will support the Good Looking Girls this saturday and I too will be asking the owner to consider the last paragraph.

Babyface Babyface Message Babyface
Nov '10

The truth of what is going on with the rink has been shared in another thread. The "skate park" is being removed. The rink is being moved from its present location to where the skate park is. The indoor soccer field will be where the roller rink presently is.

Chill out does have a soccer area but it is not a full sized field. It is a small area with turf on it and not really any ideal place for soccer.

The owner runs several indoor soccer complexes in NJ that have been very successful. He likes the roller derby aspect of the roller rink and intends to keep it going after the remodeling is done.

fuentes
Nov '10

I don't like all the "probably," "supposed to" and "maybe" in this topic thread.
Does ANYONE know what's actually going on over there?

And, Skipper - Having been to almost every bout this season, it's not the derby crowd that does the destruction of the rink. Many of the fans actually like to show up early and give the girls a hand in cleaning up the place. It seems that the employees don't really care for the facility as they should. Yes, the building smells and is run down, but that doesn't reflect on the roller girls any more than it reflects on the artistic or speed skaters. And how many times have we been cut by wobbly bleachers or noticed urine in the corner of a dugout? It happens, but when the people in charge of facility upkeep don't keep up, there's a problem.
But I see where you're coming from, and if getting rid of skaters is what the owner feels he should do, who are we to stop him? He needs to change SOMETHING. Even if it's not fixing up the rink like some of us prefer.

If there was a place the girls could go that was similar to the warehouses, hangers and sport courts that other derby teams use, I'm sure they would appreciate a change of place. It can't be fun to skate practices at freezing temperatures (the H-town rink isn't cooled or heated). Perhaps, instead of getting mincey and debating online, we as fans can do something about it.

ThatGirl ThatGirl Message ThatGirl
Nov '10

Fuentes, thee owner wants to move the rink...yeah, any idea what that's going to do? Ripping it up? It'll be a hazard to skate on with all the cracks he probably won't care to fill.

tgyps tgyps Message tgyps
Nov '10

I suggest all of you liking the soccer field idea come to the bout Saturday and see the kind of people you're going to push away. And don't be afraid to bring your kids, there are plenty of cheerleaders.

tgyps tgyps Message tgyps
Nov '10

I just offered the truth of what is happening. Sorry that you don't like it.

fuentes
Nov '10

Fuentes - can you give the source of your information? My source is pretty good. And that sources says the roller rink is gone -- as are the 2 roller teams -- speed skating and derby, as well as artistic roller. BY the way -- the "skate park" is staying but in 1/2 the space.. the rink will get he other 1/2 -- AND its not enough to house the teams events or area needed for regulation bouts.

Shoeby - I'm not saying what someone can or cant do, but when Hackettstown already has issues with keeping businesses open and buildings rented -- and this was a clean ALL FAMILY involved location (public skating as well as sport watching) it just seems that the change wont allow such old fashioned clean family fun.

From what i understand the warehouse -- which by the way is open for renting -- which could have housed the roller teams.. the town VETOED the possibility for that space to be used as a rink. WHY??? Because the "owner" (I'm censoring what i really want to call him) is NOT involved enough with the town in order to change the zoning on the warehouse in order to make it a rink.

dora
Nov '10

I sat with the owner in the office of the rink this summer and looked at the plans.

fuentes
Nov '10

Its so stupid they took out the skatepark on route 57 and now i have to go to flemington to skate. I scooter there like everyday!!! Im P Oed

Scoot4LifeMGP Scoot4LifeMGP Message Scoot4LifeMGP
Dec '10

Dora am I mis reading this the skate park side was closed not the whole building...... The building still has a snack bar a roller rink and a dance school no?

shoebie shoebie Message shoebie
Dec '10

I was there last weekend for a kids birthday party. The skating rink and the play gym are still there, but skate park is gone and the turf is in its place.

Frankly, I was really disappointed in the condition of the place. It was freezing inside, so freezing that we all had to leave our coats on. You expect that at an ice rink, not the roller rink! And the kids got tokens to play some of the arcade games, but half of them didn't work. And when my friend went to pay for the party, the guy who was there (not sure if it was the owner) charged her way more than he quoted her and said he only accepted cash. He hadn't told her that ahead of time and all she had was a check. Not sure what happened after that.

I practically grew up at the roller rink in my hometown. I wish this one was kept nicer to encourage more people to go there. Hopefully with the new turf side he can generate some revenue and fix up the rest of it!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl Message Jersey Girl
Dec '10

To all of the Roller Derby Fans out there....... Skyland Roller Girls are still skating in Hackettstown at the roller rink. We have a great season scheduled with at least one bout a month, the first home bout is in March. Check out our schedule on facebook or www.skylandrollergirls.com- they should be updated shortly.... keep checking back :)

The roller rink is STILL THERE! However there is no longer a skate park. That is where the indoor soccer fields are.

sk8r
Jan '11

We stopped going there because it is in such poor condition and obviously not taken care of. When I pay the admission, I wonder what it's for....cuz they're certainly not putting any money towards care for the rink. It's such a shame. We love to skate as a family. It would be so nice to support a local rink and have a great time there. But it's such a turn-off that we drive 20 minutes out to Villa Rink, and have a lot of fun as a family there. Nothing fancy about the place, but at least it's clean, has a snack bar, and friendly employees.

Clawdia Clawdia Message Clawdia
Jan '11

Villa... Clean???? I have worked probably every rink in the area and skated even more. I skate Avidly and competively. Villa has the dirtiest floor I have ever skated on. And i am speaking since Mr. Packard sold it. their floor is also very rough and uneven now. Hackettstown has gone down hill again since former national Champion Francisco Ramirez lost the lease about a year and a half ago. He had the snack bar clean and open all the time. He tried to fix the floor. He cleaned that rink up A LOT. He coated the floor. Big wheel up in Stroudsburg has a very slick floor its a concrete with epoxy coat. Fine for most skaters, but not a speed skater. If you want to skate at an amazing rink, well cared for well kept and very friendly rink, just once take the trip to skate frenchtown. They have many current and former national champions on the floor at any given session.

Crazy- Crazy- Message Crazy-
Jan '11

B.A. Payne, looking forward to watching a bout this season! Good luck girls!

htownchik
Jan '11

seriously guys the skating rink is still there so stop complaining! the only thing that has changed is the park on the other side.. I personally play soccer and i'm excited that its been turned into indoor soccer field, Because yes we do have quite a few soccer fields around the area but there are not that many indoor fields. Its very very hard to play soccer on a outdoor field when there is 2 or more inches of snow on it. I'm sorry if this change upsets some people but sometimes change is good and maybe this will bring in more money and they will fix up the place so more people will come skating.

soccerchick soccerchick Message soccerchick
Mar '11

Soccerchick...have you seen it yet? it's a poor excuse for an indoor field. I see more young boys for baseball than adults for soccer.
I've played indoor soccer before, better off just finding a basketball court not being used that's more full size than a 1/4 size area of some turf. Not to mention that the lights are already falling down :\

TYGP2 TYGP2 Message TYGP2
Mar '11

Read through this discussion and I understand why they got rid of hackettstown skatepark, there are more popular, profitable sports. That is great but I grew up an hour away from hackettstown skatepark and would beg my parents for the ride the two times a year they would do it. H-town was the only bike friendly skatepark and was truly a legend in te bmx community. So much happened there, so many good times and a great community. Rip h town.

Hey guys!! Skyland roller girls are now skating at the lions pavilion in knowton . We have an exciting season planned outdoors or not you can't stop us were moving right along!! Don't miiss out and an FYI there may be a byob option an the pavilion . We don't need no stinkin brokedown poor excuse for a sports complex..

Tky Tky Message Tky
Apr '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: roller rink changed to indoor socer field? Seriously?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.