failed inspection

i failed due to faulty light that has been reset in past , $ 300. later i still failed , i was told i haver to drive my car until it resets , does this mean i will keep getting pulled over by police because i have a failed sticker and i was told it may take 200 miles to reset , what a joke i drive 14 miles a day and i showed inspection my bill for fixing obd and they still failed me , they sugested i drive 200 miles to rest this ARE YOU KIDDING ME ,i do not need more unnessary miles plus the expense of gas , what a RACKKET , i am pissed off , like i have nothing better to do but keep getting reinspected , i think the state and auto dealers are in CAHOOTS

cowgirl1 cowgirl1 Message cowgirl1
Aug '10

i thought nj did away with everything but emissions ? plus when you fail inspection you get a pink card valid for 30 days that should be displayed in your windshield preventing you from getting another ticket

shoebie shoebie Message shoebie
Aug '10

you can get it reset for free at some Advanced Auto or Autozone... or someone with reader.
Then drive it for inspection.
If it is really a faulty light then you need to get that fix... go back to the place you paid to get it fixed...

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy Message BrownEyesGuy
Aug '10

the ODB is part of emisions, or if the light is ON it will not pass emissions test.

Aug '10

I agree with shoebie

Mich
Aug '10

o0o0o ok

shoebie shoebie Message shoebie
Aug '10

I got failed yesterday also ..because the check engine light bulb is bad? as per the nj inspection site u no longer get a grace period and are in risk of getting ticketed.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/Whatif.htm

anyone knows usually how much is it to privately inspect cars? thanks.

emerginglight emerginglight Message emerginglight
Aug '10

You can reset the light all you want but, you are still going to fail. After clearing all diagnostic trouble codes, the car must be driven for a period of time (typically a couple hundred miles) to generate a history. If the inspection station does not see this history stored in the onboard computer they can not pass you. It is to prevent people from simply clearing the DTCs before inspection without making necessary repairs.

Ryan(ligitty) Ryan(ligitty) Message Ryan(ligitty)
Aug '10

i did not get a pink card , i paid to replace the light so i should pass , but noooooooo they still have to give me a red sticker and ryan what history do they need it either should be a pass or no pass not a history whats that about

Aug '10

well I have resetted it and went stright to inspection and it passed.

I went to Interstate on Mountain Ave. $9.99

Aug '10

OMG OMG , i am not surprised

Aug '10

The new inspection system is a joke. I have a real old van, twenty years old I used to haul stuff around in, yard work, etc. Tt would have in no way passed under the old guidelines. It has real issues. Ten minutes later, after it passed inspection for emissions, I have a sticker for two more years with a vehicle that would be unsafe if driven by someone not familiar with its' issues.

The new system will save money in the short term, but at the cost of personal safety. This is of course, probably just part of the bigger plan to privatize all vehicle inspection in the state, once they close down the inspection stations.

The Rhyme Animal
Aug '10

Browneyesguy - you where either lucky or have a car that does not have OBD2 so they could not view stored computer data.

cowgirl1 - after clearing DTCs there is no history of past dianostic tests being failed or passed. After driving the vehicle for a while they will see in the history that all systems have passed in the past therefore all systems are functioning properly. If you had it fixed and the check engine light is not on, take a breath, relax, drive around for a week or two, and then go back and they will pass it. If you do still have a check engine light, go back to the person that supposedly fixed it the first time and have them fix it right. The inspection station is not being unreasonable. They are ensuring people are actually making the required repairs.

Aug '10

fyi -- most often the Advanced Auto etc. guys can not reset the light (sometimes oooops, they do it anyway). The test unit runs $60 to $1xx depending on sale and quality.

You can look the OBD codes up on the internet usually although making sense might take longer. We had one pop, check engine, and it turned out to be a gas-full-sensor, not the most dangerous thing in the world. Now we watch the gauge more carefully and avoid fill ups that are over the top and ---- no light so far.

Hackettstown Harold Hackettstown Harold Message Hackettstown Harold
Aug '10

Manufacturers have different procedures for setting the computers "ready systems" (typically three, possibly more). It's either two systems need to be "ready" or only one system "not ready" to pass inspection, I don't recall, but either way it really is a pain in the butt. Here's one example to punctuate how ridiculous it is:

http://obdii.com/drivecycle.html

"General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears."

justintime justintime Message justintime
Aug '10

Just go there tell them you no speak english and your car will pass

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Aug '10

ryan (ligitty) thank - you

Aug '10

If someone is driving an unsafe vehicle they put everyone at risk. I think the inspection will save lots of money & TAX DOLLARS but those on the road now will get tickets and will need to take care of their vehicle...wow,,,,do you mean someone is actually going to have to take responsibility for their vehicle and actions....wow...what is the world coming too...lol Imagine having to fix the vehicle because it is safe for you and others. That would be something right......

annie oakley
Sep '10

cowgirl1 - You are very welcome.

Sep '10

Its just another way of his state to make more moeny! Think about it. We paid nothing for inspection if we failed we fixed it and re-inspected it. Now we pay $15 to have them check our emissions nothing else. BUT if you are pulled over for an infraction say not stopping for a pedestrian, the officer sees that your tail light is out. (now you know most of you dont even know its out) he dishes out a ticket for the pedestrian infraction and another $200 for a tail light out. This would have been found on inspection and would have cost you nothing. AMAZING this state of ours isnt it?

Now take another scenario. You are on way to work in the morning. You come across a surprise inspection and the officer flags you in. They check your car from head to toe and find that your right tire is low on treads. They check everything they can with the portable inspection trucks. You get a ticket for the bald tire. But again this would have been caught on inspection and not cost us nothing.

GETG THE PICTURE. AM I WRONG??

Christine Christine Message Christine
Sep '10

for crying out load it was a light that they reset on other occasions, i fixed it and still failed that is my gripe , so get it right, nothing to do with SAFETY

Sep '10

All lights on your car, once reset or repaired need to be driven a couple hundred miles before you can take it to inspection. If you take it to inspection after the light is turned off, you will still fail for the system not being ready.
If you take your car somewhere they should tell you/ I beliece Autozone does tell you that at least theytold me that

mansfieldmomof 2tobe
Sep '10

christine you are absolutly right , my emissions passed but the check engine light was on so they failed me , had new one installed at 300.00 and they still failed me , they told me to drive around a few hundred miles so it resets , boy i am sure driving extra miles wont hurt emissions uh

Sep '10

Oye vey!!! It is the way it is. It needs to run the system checks and diagnostics. I don't see what the big deal is. Drive for two weeks and go back.

For the record, bald tires, tail lights out, headlights out, etc. Have always been grounds for a ticket by the police. It is called operating an unsafe vehicle. It has been that way as long as I have been driving.

Sep '10

cowgirl1 - You are correct, it is not the safety inspection that you failed. That is no longer done by the state, it's done by local police officers. It's the safety inspection that has no grace period. The emissions inspection you failed gives you a report of the reasons why, and a specific amount of time in order to get the repairs done. Even if you have a rejected sticker, if you are within the period for the repairs to get done, you are OK. You are not supposed to keep getting tickets unless you don't get the repairs done in time and still drive the car. I don't think they use those pink cards anymore, but the failure report should provide for the same function.

Emissions can't be done as Ryan noted unless if the car's computer reports it has all data necessary to test all the systems. If you get failed, the report will show which systems were ready, which ones not, and if there were any errors found. Most cars actually have their computers ready to go within 50 miles or less, but they tell you longer just in case. Places like Advanced, and actually anyone with a OBD unit, can and do reset the system. Only the lowest end OBD units won't do a reset. The units will also show you all of the systems and which ones are ready or not ready. That essentially tells you the exact same thing as the state inspection, whether it passes or fails.

On the other thread I described my friend Bubba just went through all of that. Was actually coming back from being repaired, with a reset OBD, but with a temp tag that's all moot and no inspection required until the end of the tag's expiration. An inspection can't even be done until the perm plate arrives. Since the state now only does the emissions, an inspection by an independent is no longer different in any way. They plug in VIN/Registration info into the computer, they hook up the OBD and results come out. The operator can't change the results.

Christine - I think you're essentially right. The state is pushing off the responsibility and yet keeping the money. Meanwhile the police have lots of other things to do and are only going to give out citations when it involves multiple infractions. The vast majority of cars are now going to be "self inspected" - which means most people will not need to worry about it, but a load of jerks out there are going to fly under the radar. Only thing is we didn't used to pay nothing for inspections, we used to pay for them when renewing registration. That's why I'm saying the state is still keeping the money for them because really our registration fees should now be cut in half. But yes, it does look like it's going to private emissions inspections because the pass/fail decision is no longer in their hands. It's all up to the computer chip in your car.

Not at all meaning to come off rude in my last post. Just wanted to state unsafe vehicle tickets have always been there, and the diagnostic system needs to be allowed to capture data before the information can be evaluated.

Sep '10

what burns me up is we payed to put in all this high tech equipment in the inspection stations and now it will sit un used

Sep '10

As far as I know, and I am admittedly not an expert, the safety inspection equipment has been used for many many YEARS to test brakes and suspension. The newest purchases of equipment would have been the OBD systems which will still be used. The probe that gets inserted in the tailpipe will also still be used in vehicles without OBD 2.

Sep '10

Ryan
was to newton this year and they were replaceing the equipment

Sep '10

So being we are not doing full inspections at the state inspection stations which was payed for by the registratin fee so then the fees will drop right

Sep '10

Ryan & Caged - I went to Randolph, and all the brake and suspension equipment is in fact gone, not just sitting unused. There were brake and suspension testing equipment before, true. But wasn't it when they went to the two year system they bought all sorts of new brake testers that were wrongly failing cars? I seem to remember a big flap about what seemed to be a rigged bid to a company that had bad equipment to boot... I think you're right Ryan about new equipment we all ended up paying for that's now useless. The OBD testers have been there since as well. That's not new but there's no reason to have the state doing it - which I think is what others have said. You might just as well go to the local mechanic and have them plug into the car computer and have it report the results directly. Heck, with my Actron that has a USB port, why can't I even avoid the $15?

CA - I was not aware of newer brake and suspension testing equipment. Point well taken then. Wasted money indeed now that the equipment is not even being used anymore. I don't think the system needed any change at all. Think of how many people will be out of jobs now. I can only imagine inspection facilities such as Randolph will cut staff by 50 to 75 percent. That's a shame because there have always been some nice cheerful people working there. Some crabby ones too, but mostly nice.

Sep '10

want to start over with nj state insp after failed and 2 reinsp..
i lost my front license plate,,when i go to DMV they will give me 2 new plates and a reg. with different barcode..so if i go back to private insp with no paper report,, insp should be like first time and with 2 not ready it should pass..would the barcode on reg be different..

smc smc Message smc
Dec '10

It is up to the driver to operate a safe vehicle. If you get a ticket for operating a unsafe vehicle it no one elses fault but your's. Accept responsibility instead of passing the blame.

THE MAN THE MAN Message THE MAN
Dec '10

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.