Shell station at five corners spilled gas

Ok this happened a few times while getting gas there and now after today I have had it. I got gas there today and there was a huge pile of gas spilled out of my tank and all over my car after the attendant was done. There was a puddle was on the ground as well. He said nothing of it and I drove up a bit and then got out to see all the spillage. The fumes were horrible! I was concerned about it being all over my car. I told the man about it and he said it is no big deal. This happens quite a bit there and now I will not go back. Another guy came out from inside and I told him about the amount of gas that spilled out and they poured water on it. I ended up going to scrub a dub to wash it off. I could see that some would drip or leak from the hose when they take it out but this was a huge amount. So if you go there beware.

youngnfresh youngnfresh Message youngnfresh
Jun '10

I dont go there its too expensive. I do believe though that they have to make a report if it was over a certain amount to the DEP. Not sure though I remember reading it somewhere.

Christine Christine Message Christine
Jun '10

That's what can happen when the attendent tries to SQUEEZE in more gas after the gas pump clicks off, to get AS MUCH MONEY out of you as they can. I always tell the attendent to leave it where it is once the nozzle clicks off. You got charged for all the spilled gas.

happy girl
Jun '10

Never spilled gas on my car there

Shannon P. Shannon P. Message Shannon P.
Jun '10

you should have been around when the Hess station had a 3000 gallon spill...in the 70s...gas spills were very common then...people driving off with the pump still attached to the car...certain cars were very difficult to pump gas into... ford falcons...and some corvettes...and spills were very common...not to mention lost gas tank caps...

drew drew Message drew
Jun '10

The puddle on the ground was quite large. I have had them drip a little before, this was a lot though enough to make me post this. I wanted to go to Hess but they were filled up and the direction I was going in traffic wise was easier to go to Shell. I hate it when they keep trying to fill it after it stops and like was mentioned they try to get as much out of you as they can. That is why it is important to turn of the ignition and no smoking while getting gas.
It actually happened to me at Hess a few weeks ago and the guy was very apologetic and wiped the area of the car down where it happened and took responsibility. I am beginning to wonder if it is MY car! LOL.

youngnfresh youngnfresh Message youngnfresh
Jun '10

youngnfresh
Next time you go there go in ask for the owner of the station or a number to call and complain
this happens when they run the pump to fast or try to over fill and carelessness
and pouring water on it is the wrong thing to do causes it to go down the storm drain
block off the area and it will dry up
there is one more thing the nozzle could be warn out and needs repair so call the owner and complain and dont let them wash off your car they might scratch it

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Jun '10

i jus pump my own gas. my car aint the nicest. but idc. i dont need the paint being eaten away. most places could care less if people pump their own gas. i used to pump gas and people would refuse to let the gas attendant pump it. so fine do it yourself. jersey should be self service. just wat i think

scubasteve scubasteve Message scubasteve
Jun '10

Once the gas pump stops after filling I make sure it is full and if the attendent tries to squeeze any more in I get out and yell at them.

I point to the signs on the gas pump and ask them if they can read it. So far half can and half can not. Most get pissed off and don't even talk. None of them have been able to provide me with a certificate that they know what they are doing. I was told they get a little inservice when they are hired and that is it.

They usually only make the mistake once because I make sure to tell them to not repeat what happened last time.

Also the signs say not to leave the pump unatteneded. (Like going to fill someone else up.)

FYI-I have never had a problem with the Citgo and the BP in town.

We're so lucky to have several gas stations in town, if we don't like the service we get at one, there's many more to choose from. Not much difference in price so that's not a deciding factor. Hess is my station of choice these days.

Bessie Bessie Message Bessie
Jun '10

Hey, like everything else these manual jobs don't pay shi! so what do you expect? Just don't go back. I noticed a little too much post pump drip at this station so I stopped going there. You pay for the spilled gas so the attendant may not care. This is the management's fault, they should be on top of this but they are not or possibly might not even care.

Jay Jay Message Jay
Jun '10

I think the just don't go back is good advice.

Bessie Bessie Message Bessie
Jun '10

I really wish NJ would have only self-service pumps. I used to work near a WAWA in PA and pumped there all the time (since it was cheaper than NJ). I go to the Citgo across from Riverstar since they are the cheapest around. I let the attendant get the pump going but I then take over after they start attending to other cars. Self-service goes faster too because you don't have to wait for one under-motivated attendant to attend to multiple cars.

The Hess in Washington on rt 31 is pretty speedy and has good attendants though. I do use them often.

emaxxman emaxxman Message emaxxman
Jun '10

If the attendant tries to overfill the tank it can damage the vehicle. Gas can get into some filter (sorry not to be more technical). It can cause your check engine light to come on. I had a rusted filler neck because of it. Tell them to stop after it clicks. Forget rounding to the nearest dollar. They don't want to make the extra gas sale. They don't want to make change.

maja maja Message maja
Jun '10

FWIW, I've never had this problem at the Hackettstown Shell at Five Corners. Maybe it's because I usually keep my car running and the attendants are thus less likely to allow a spill to occur... ? Go ahead, now, yell at me because I keep the car on at the gas pump. I can take it. :o)

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town Message Hopeful in H-town
Jun '10

I've never shut my car off at the gas pump. The car is running as you pull up and leave...what's going to happen?

Now I did see a guy fling a lit cigarette on the ground at a gas station once. As soon as he did it, he said "I'm such an idiot" because he realized what he could've done.

emaxxman emaxxman Message emaxxman
Jun '10

Keep the car running? I thought that was against the law. Dam I hate turning it off in the summer without the air.

Christine Christine Message Christine
Jun '10

Turn off the car its the law its a safety issue
and why so the attend dose not have to breath it in or that your car dose nont jump in to gear
And i like the fact that we dont pump the gas in nj I am old school ask to check the oil wash the windows

"Hey, like everything else these manual jobs don't pay shi! so what do you expect? "
What do I expect ? Every thing you take a job you know what it pays and regardless you should do your best
When we had the station ARCO on Mountain Ave we check oil look under the hood for troubles fill tires wash windows

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Jun '10

NJ Girls don't Pump Gas!

It's Me It's Me Message It's Me
Jun '10

I pump my own gas too. When I pull up to the pump, I ask the guy if I can pump my own gas. Most times they say yes. If/when they say no, I go to another station. The guys that pump gas don't care about you or your car. I see it every time I go to a station. No tap off and they drip on your car. That really pisses me off, hence why I do it myself.

sack
Jun '10

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.