Deer Hit and Run

To the person that hit the deer and just left it there at the bottom of Hackettstown mountain, you're a jerk! At least I stopped to be sure it would be put out of it's misery and watched the poor thing try to drag itself across the road. To the Washington Twp. Police, thank you for being so very nice!

H'town Driver
Jun '10

Again, no responsibility for their own actions. H'town Driver, I'm glad you did the RIGHT thing.

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Jun '10

Thank you H'town driver. I too have sat on the shoulder of the road with a deer waiting for the cops to come put them out of their misery. Nothing like seeing the fear in their eyes. I can only imagine the pain they feel! Hopefully a caring presence was somewhat reassuring to them in their last moments. Keep up the good work. And to whomever hit it in the first place, I'm sure it wasn't your fault. We all know how quickly deer can appear in front of your car. But I hope the guilt is eating away at you...And that the damage to your car is significant!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Jun '10

That sucks to hear. Poor deer. It happens though but to leave is wrong. I had the police put one out of its misery on the road outside of our house one night. Noticed police lights and then heard shots. Thought I was back in Maplewood. Then the next day realized what it probably was and went by and saw the blood on the road.

blackcat blackcat Message blackcat
Jun '10

Bergey was coming down the Mountain and five deer came running out in front of a car which was in front of him. That driver hit 3, 2 came flying over and hit Bergey. The other driver left! Bergey was the only one that stayed and waited for the PD. They sadly had to put the 3 dear out of their misery. Needless to say the car had loads of damage.

I guess alot of drivers do this. Not only is it dangerous for another driver to come along and run over the deer and but is illegal to leave the scene of an accident.

SHAME ON THEM!!

Christine Christine Message Christine
Jun '10

Christine - How was the car that hit 3 deer able to drive off?

I can only imagine the amount of damage that must have been done to the initial car!

Coralie Coralie Message Coralie
Jun '10

Is it the law to stop after hitting a deer? I personally would stop, but just wondering if you actually have to?

Shannon P. Shannon P. Message Shannon P.
Jun '10

It was obviously able to drive off so was Bergeys car. It was pretty scary as one deer actually flipped over the first car. Bergey said it happened so fast he didnt really see how bad it was.

Jun '10

Do the police always put them out their misery or do they ever try to get the deer to a wildlife rehab?

jrsemom jrsemom Message jrsemom
Jun '10

I have never seen any officer put them out of their misery I would be devastated but Bergey did say it was pretty bad and warranted.

Good question I am not sure if there is a vet that would do that for free? Like he is going to pay for it.

Jun '10

In general they do not take a wounded adult deer in for care and rehab. As we all know, we are very over populated. Fawns however are taken in for care and rehab. There are several facilities that will take them. I called 911 last night knowing that they would put it out of misery. It's the only thing I could do and pray that they came fast. It was terribly sad. Had a hard time getting the vision out of my head and unfortunately the deer was still there this morning. I wonder who picks up the dead animals or does anyone?

H'town Driver
Jun '10

its dangerous to stop on hwy to help an animal you do not have to stop but u should at least call pd so they can take care of it. im not going to put my life on the line for a venicon dinner especially the way people drive today no curtissy its like WATCH OUT HERE I COME .....

yupstupid
Jun '10

I just typed & deleted...and yes it was semi-painful....

Jun '10

Maybe the person had to be some place or maybe didn't want to get involved with insurance which collect or not, there is a police report.
Hopefully, someone did the humane thing and had it butchered to feed the needy. But I doubt it. It is more humane to shed a tear over Bambi and the other 50 million of them roaming the New Jersey countryside.

The King
Jun '10

P.S. I hope that not one cent of Taxpayer money is used for deer rehab. Please tell me there is no such thing.

The King
Jun '10

What happens when u hit a squirrel?

Fred
Jun '10

I wouldn't expect a cop or the person who hit the deer to pay for vet care. I know there are wildlife rehabs around that care for injured animals and was curious if they were ever called to retrieve and a help an injured but helpable deer.

jrsemom jrsemom Message jrsemom
Jun '10

"What happens when u hit a squirrel?"...I keep going...

Hey Jim - In Arizona they spent $1.2 million to build squirrel bridges - I kid you not! http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/money/squirrel-bridge-funding-6-17-2010

What a nutty idea...

Jun '10

Does anyone know how much paperwork cops have to fill out when they dishcarge there gun??

bigbear
Jun '10

LOL Lori.

As far as picking up deer and other road kill, it depends on the town. Some towns' have their municipal dept. take care of this, others use an outside service. I have a friend that is in the business of animal recovery. His company is employed by Panther Valley and other areas to pick up dead animals. He also will pick up carcasses from private individuals. A dead cow, pig, horse etc. is actually quite a task to move for a farmer or home owner.

Jun '10

bigbear:

they can fill out the paperwork over coffee and donuts.....and be sure to put in for that overtime!!!!!!

The King
Jun '10

if you hit a deer, you dont need to report it. the only time its ever recorded is if someone calls pd. theres no rule, you cant get charged with a hit nd run. and the only good that callin the pd will do is so you can get an accident report if you have full coverage and want your car fixed. if i hit a deer, and i can stop safely, yea, i may drag it off the rd or whatever. but that could cause more of an issue trying to pull over to save a deer. Just my opinion.

scubasteve scubasteve Message scubasteve
Jun '10

Most states do not insist a driver to make a police report after they have hit a deer, but state laws differ so you will need to check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles, or similar agency, to find out what your state requires. Even if you are not commanded to make a police report, it is wise to do so if you need to make an insurance claim regarding damage caused hitting the deer thru your comprehensive portion of your policy.

If you want to keep the deer carcass generally states do require you to report the accident with authorities. In Pennsylvania you must report taking the possession of the deer to the Game Commission. In Ohio you need to report it to the game protector or a law enforcement officer. If you do not want to keep the deer's body it is helpful to other drivers if you will call the state patrol, sheriff or state wildlife agency so that the carcass can be removed from the roadway area.

scubasteve scubasteve Message scubasteve
Jun '10

First deer are wild animals, when you hang around "comforting" a wounded animal you are not in fact comforting them. Your presence adds more stress. While you may feel better "holding it in your arms as it passes" the deer does not, even healthy deer are afraid of people when wounded and unable to run do you really think they want you a predator hovering over them?

Unless you plan to dispatch the deer personally, I strongly suggest you leave them alone. And since this is NJ I dod not suggest you shoot the deer, as the 2nd amendment only partially applies here.

As to "harvesting" road killed deer, you need to get a tag from the police or F&G. If you possess any game animal without the correct tags, you are subject to fines for poaching. (After all they cannot tell if you shot it out of season or picked it up from the road once it is dressed and skinned and butchered.

Agust Agust Message Agust
Jun '10

Someone did that this past winter, and left it in our driveway. The dogs were barking and I went out to see what it was. I called Independence PD and they came and shot it before the bus came.

Birdie Birdie Message Birdie
Jun '10

Just so it's clear. I did not hold this deer in my arms to comfort it. AND it was hit and lay in the middle of the road sitting. If a car were to hit it, it would have deployed airbags and cause the driver to possibly go off the road etc. It could have been a serious situation. Of course, I felt bad for the deer but my main concern was the fact that I was lucky to avoid the collision because there were no other cars at that moment around. Several cars came close to hitting it while I waiting SAFELY on the shoulder. But the police were there so quick and the danger level went right down because he block the lane and had his lights flashing.

I really don't think any good cop cares how much paperwork he has to fill out to put a dying or disabled deer out of its misery. It was the humane thing to do. I would like to think we still care about all the wildlife around us. I'm not saying that hunting or eating meat is bad. I eat meat, venison etc. But we have the capacity as humans to help the lesser creatures not suffer so why not.

Scubasteve, if you read the NJ Driver's Manual leaving the scene of hitting an animal is leaving the scene of an accident.

H'town Driver
Jun '10

out by lori the cops call lacota wolf preserve they will get the road kill if not to damaged

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
Jun '10

In Sussex County, Space Farms will pick up road kill for their Big Cats etc.

H'town Driver
Jun '10

Really? I didn't know you weren't supposed to leave. Obviously you don't want to see an animal suffer, but I figure as long as you notify the police you've done your part. i have seen deer get hit and still been able to run into the woods and basically you know that they will die out there somewhere shortly after. Are you then supposed to track it down to be sure it has company while it passes and to make sure your following the law? Ridiculous.

JRT JRT Message JRT
Jun '10

JRT,
You should at least make sure it did get off the road so that a human life wouldn't be in jeopardy. Someone hit this deer and didn't check. Really are we that busy?

H'town Driver
Jun '10

Another one this morning...DH was driving me to work because my car is in the shop and we came upon a recently hit fawn flailing in the road. Mama and sibling were on the side of the road watching it. DH moved him out of the road while I called to report it. His family crossed to be near him, poor baby. There is no saving this one. He was so badly hurt I kept praying for him to pass quickly. I don't know how anyone could just drive away fromt hat scene...

Jun '10

God, that's so sad......

blackcat blackcat Message blackcat
Jun '10

In 2002, my uncle was struck by a car and killed while dragging a deer out of the road that someone else had hit and left there. I ain't going out like that... every car for itself.

ianimal ianimal Message ianimal
Jun '10

ianimal,

You're right, no one should ever help anyone or anything. Two wrongs always make a right.

??????

H'town Driver
Jun '10

How do you get from what I said to that no one should ever help anyone or anything? If I personally hit a deer, I will call the police and have an incident report written up.

However, if I'm driving down the road and see a deer lying in the middle of it (or any other obstacle, for that matter), I will navigate around it and go on my way. If I'm somewhere in Hunterdon County on a county road, I will also call the road department and report it, just because I happen to have their number in my cell phone. If whoever comes along behind me is so oblivious to their surroundings that they would hit an obstacle in the road, what are the odds that they would also wind up running down whoever took it upon themselves to perform deer removal services? Pretty good, I imagine...

ianimal ianimal Message ianimal
Jun '10

I comforted a dying fawn today... the car in front of our car hit it and just left it lying in the road trying to lift its neck. I don't care what you say. I feel I did the right thing. I sat with it with my hand lightly near its hheart and prayed for it to feel no pain.

alehsus alehsus Message alehsus
Jun '10

Honestly, I don't understand how so many deer are hit by cars. I think 90% of them could have been avoided by being aware of your surroundings while driving. I've been driving for many years and I don't hit deer. I often spot them ahead if time and take action to avoid a possible collision. At night their little eyes light up when your headlights shine in their direction. Being alert would reduce the deer vs. Car incidents by at least 50% to 65% but I know I am asking a lot of drivers whi can't put down their cell phones or even pay attention to other cars. Justly take on it.

Ryan (ligitty) Ryan (ligitty) Message Ryan (ligitty)
Jul '10

Just because someone hit a deer and left doesn't mean they didn't do anything about it. I know one time I hit a deer and kept drving because I didn't want to sit and be hit by another car. I called the police on my cell phone....they asked are you hurt I said no....they said then you are free to go and we will have an officer check it out. They also told me not to get out of the car to check on the deer because they could really hurt you trying to get up.......

Nosila Nosila Message Nosila
Jul '10

Ryan, I agree. Being aware of one's surroundings and knowing what to do in certain situations (ie. how to avoid a collision) would eliminate a lot of car vs. anything collisions. It all comes down to the same issue: people need to pay attention to DRIVING while they're DRIVING and NOTHING else.

Tracy Tracy Message Tracy
Jul '10

the bottom line is deer usually come out at specific times of the day.. BE SMART drive slow when you are driving in deer populated areas. Realize that there is USUALLY 2 when you see one..

lights on a car "paralyze them" its best to flash your lights (on/off) to scatter them.

realize if you hit a mother or baby, the opposite usually hangs around a while.

dora
Jul '10

dora - good advice. Whenever I see one deer, I always expect more. Many people don't which is why they may miss the first one they see, but not the second or thirds.

I have seen about 5 dead cats over the last two weeks. Not sure why the increase in this. People, please keep your domestic animals contained.

Jul '10

I agree 100% with being aware of your surroundings, however, it's very hard to predict when that deer is going to run out of the woods, unseen, and slam into the rear quarter-panel of your car...Certain times of year there are more incidents of cars hit by deer than the other way around. I've been fortunate enough not to have had this happen, but know several people who have. And to the tune of 3-4K woth od damage!

Jul '10

When they run into the side off your car I agree, likely unavoidable. However the dead deer on the road were probably not hit this way. Most times when the deer hits you, they run away and your left with a damaged car. It would be a very RARE occurrence for them to be killed in that manner.

Jul '10

Calico- I just said that the other day about the amount of peoples cats dead on the side of the road

Nosila Nosila Message Nosila
Jul '10

Have been hit twice by deer. I drive ever so carefully, esp at night. First one literally came out of no where & ran into my front end/driverside door, air bags went off & seconds later realized it was a deer looking at me. ran off into the woods. thousands of dollars later. Second one, again out of no where ran across the road hit my front end grill & kept running. More $$. Both happened on Rt 46 between H'town and Great Meadows. Wish i could install search lights on the top of my car! Family teases me that i drive so slow at night. It's a nightmare for the driver and the deer!

vicnity
Jul '10

Just for the record I don't always believe the "out of no where claim". Not saying that you, vicinity, are not one of the real "out of nowhere occurrences". I often pick out deer 20 to 50 feet from the road. I spot their eyes most times long before there is even an opportunity for them to be even remotely close to impact with my car. I slow down and proceed with caution. I drive the same roads as everyone else, and believe me, I am not just lucky. I think "out of nowhere" occurrences are often "driver tunnel vision" occurrences. Again, not saying ALL. Just most.

Jul '10

Agreed, again, Ryan. When I'm driving at night (or anytime for that matter) on deer infested roads, my eyes scan back and forth from left to right, checking all around for those glowing eyes. I will use my high beams on especially dark areas, because you can see the eyes from much further away.

Tracy Tracy Message Tracy
Jul '10

trust me, I've slowed and/or stopped for MANY of a deer, once watched 17 cross the road on Barkers Mill! My two literally came flying across Rt 46, very scary, esp when the airbag went. Never knew what happened to the deer as they ran off, cars can be fixed, thank goodness no people where hurt

vicnity
Jul '10

Does any one know how many deer out of 10 die from cars in their lifetime?

Rae Rae Message Rae
Oct '10

Once again Ryan shows what he's made of.

11 am truck in front of me on Vienna Hill. Deer charges out of bushes and rams back passenger door. Gets up runs back into woods. We both stop and he doesn't know what hit him. When I told him a deer and showed him the hair in the molding, he was a believer.

One eyed Poacher
Oct '10

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.