Child Abduction Alert

An alert keeps coming on my tv with very little info it just says:

"A Civil Authority has issued a child abduction emergency for the following counties/areas: New Jersey at 7:25 pm on Apr 28, 2010 effective until 9:25 pm"

I've never seen anything like this before.

Anyone else see this or know what is going on?

Alison Alison Message Alison
Apr '10

Thanks! It would be nice if they displayed that information. I don't know how effective this notice was with no details.

Apr '10

This is seriously affecting my Yankees game. The PSA keeps breaking in every 3-4 minutes. Can't they just use a crawl at the bottom of the screen?

Hope the little one gets home safe.

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Apr '10

There is a voice over along with the alert, that gives the details. A crawl on the screen would be nice, but if it was my child, I would prefer what they are doing now. Its gets our attention ( note a thread)

Plus - its only the Yanks

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts Message Clyde Potts
Apr '10

The Amber Alert was cancelled - I guess they found him! Thank God!

Apr '10

It wouldn't even let you change the channel. I could see if this happened in our county but that was ridiculous to show around here. I feel bad but there was no info or anything. Back to the yanks.

Bryan Bryan Message Bryan
Apr '10

Most of these are one or the other parent and usually in Essex or thereabouts.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter Message Reggie Voter
Apr '10

Elizabeth is 57 mins from Hackettstown the Idea of the amber alert is to get as many people looking and watching It was a car jacking and the perp took off in the car with the baby in back they must have dot the car and baby in newark .
Now the police were not giveing good info till the 7:45 time slot and a flash bar would be good

CagedAnimal CagedAnimal Message CagedAnimal
Apr '10

The scary part of all of this is that I am starting to understand what you are writing.

One of these days you will tell us what high school you attended. Really, I've got to know. Then we can close it and save the taxpayers some real $$$$$ as apparently it's worthless anyway.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter Message Reggie Voter
Apr '10

Reggie Voter
Its one of the High Schools that past the 2009 state testing unlike H'Town that did not

Apr '10

I could see if this happened in our county but that was ridiculous to show around here.
Bryan

PER THE AMBER ALERT REPORT:

When an AMBER Alert is issued an abductor may take the child outside the jurisdiction of the
issuing law-enforcement authority. In some cases the AMBER Alert Coordinator in the
state/territory where the AMBER Alert originated may request an AMBER Alert be extended into
another state/territory. In 2008, 14 AMBER Alerts were extended beyond the limits of the state
where the AMBER Alert first originated. In 8 cases the child was recovered in the state/territory
where the Alert originated, in 4 cases the child was recovered in the extending state, and in 2
cases the child was recovered neither in the originating state/territory nor the extending
state/territory.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts Message Clyde Potts
Apr '10

Really? We're upset that our TV or Yankee game is being interrupted?? This was someone's kid who was taken. It doesn't appear that it was "one parent or the other" It was a car jacking and sounds like perhaps the thief didn't know the child was back there. If it were one of my kids I would want that message displayed non-stop! The only thing I didn't like was that the audio wouldn't finish. Each time it got a little further into the description but rarely ever finished.

IceWater IceWater Message IceWater
Apr '10

They found him safe last night. And yes, they could have left the Newark area. It was someone's child. I didn't mind my "tv time" being interupted for it.

Birdie Birdie Message Birdie
Apr '10

You people are missing the point, as usual. I have no problem with them interupting my game and I understand that people's children are important to them. But if, you are going to post the message for 1-2 minutes every 3-4 minutes, at least split the screen in half. Let those of us who have nothing to do with the issue (example....live 12 counties away on a dead end street and are home for the night) continue to watch the game.

Apr '10

After seeing the Amber Alert...I kept my eyes open and can say they did not drive thru my living room.

PREDATOR PREDATOR Message PREDATOR
Apr '10

Well i 'm glad the kid was found but i still think it was dumb to show it every 5 mins or less and not even let me change the channel. I rarely complain about things and i'm not one to sit around on my a$$ watching tv all night either LOL.

Bryan Bryan Message Bryan
Apr '10

LOL Bryan! No I know what really gets you going...someone messing with your Yankees game :)

Apr '10

I have some ties to some of the folks associated with generating these messages. Would an initial interruption with the voiceover following by a continuous scrolling band on the bottom with a tone alert any time there is an update(like they do for sever weather warnings) be ok.

Human Behavior says if your annoyed you are unlikely to focus too much on what the actual message is but instead on being annoyed.

Trying to get some ideas to feed back to help this service be as effective as possible in case its ever one of our kids.

Many of these messages go out on a regional subscriber basis. Why do I have to be inconvenienced by Time-Warner commmercials when I know they are not in my area or Cablevision when only Comcast is available at my house? The more word that is out there the better. A carjacker speeding down the road could get here alot quicker than the 57 minute example. Thats what it takes us law abiding folks to get here. ;)

Apr '10

IceWater said - "I have some ties to some of the folks associated with generating these messages. Would an initial interruption with the voiceover following by a continuous scrolling band on the bottom with a tone alert any time there is an update(like they do for sever weather warnings) be ok."

Works for me.

My DH made the following comment last night while the alert was going on. "Why would they be advertising this for people who are already home? Wouldn't it make more sense to be over the radio, since you would be in your car and more likely to see something?"

Apr '10

Calico, apparently your DH has more sense than others...Though I suppose it was on some radio stations as well as those big "flashing" signs on the highways?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Apr '10

Alot of places of business have tv on for their patrons....bars/restaurants, hair salons, etc. If you noticed it said it was put out by wnnj which is a radio station. Saturate the media in hopes that it reaches that ONE right person.

My kids thought it was "neat" that it took the time off the cable box and replaced it was EAS

The things that kids think are neat. I thought it was wierd it each time it initially took me back to the wrong channel then changed to the channel I was really watching.

Just glad it ended happily. Too many of those end in some sad story.

Apr '10

there was also a child abductor in Washington Township yesterday at the dump, where there was a carnival. anybody know anything about this?

tiffany76 tiffany76 Message tiffany76
Apr '10

I have to say that I was in my car (locally) and grooving to a song on the radio, and smack dab in the middle of my song, the *beep, beep* sound came on (it is usually followed by this was a test of the emergency broadcast system), but this time it was No Test, they were announcing the child abduction (I was shocked, because I have only heard it used as a test and never for real).

I was actually very impressed, this message came on the radio about 30 minutes after the event, and feel it was a great way to get the message out there. I applaude those for actually using the system (technology) as it was intended to let us know of danger. I know if it were my child, I would want the message out there fast, to keep the perp from getting very far without everyone being on alert.

I did not care that I was no where near Elizabeth, I am in the same state and that was reason enough to be alerted, he could have easily driven north west from Elizabeth and if I had the opportunity to stop him and save that little boy I thank the authorities keeping us informed.

I am glad everything turned out alright in this situation.

Jean09 Jean09 Message Jean09
Apr '10

I think the aggressive way the Amber Alert was issued - radio and TV at the same time was a good thing. The car jacker might have been on his cell phone and was told he better dump the car quick because of the constant Amber Alert or maybe he was hearing for himself on the car radio.

The way this Amber Alert was issued could have very well saved this little child's life.

Joanie Joanie Message Joanie
Apr '10

what is the punishment in this state for car jacking

Apr '10

As a parent, I was glad that they did the Amber ALert! IF it was one of my children or even one of my niece or newphews I would want it heard as well.

Who cares about the TV and the Game that was one.

It also served as a learing tool for my 4 daughter. We explained that this is why you hold mommy or daddys hands when we are out and not to run off. My daughter was concerned that she did not want to go to bed until that little boy was found, because what if they called us to go and help find him.

TV shows you can watch anytime with the internet and on demand features. A CHILD YOU CAN NOT REPLACE!!!!

mansfieldmomof2
Apr '10

I can put up with the amber alerts. But the audio was very bad the messages were cut off and they should give more info when they turn off the alert if it saves a life its worth it

Apr '10

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.