Worse than stink bugs.... Silverfish!

OK I've tried it all.

Boric acid, damp rids (they collect water from the air), de-humidifiers........... WHAT THE HELL????

I HATE.... silverfish. They're all over my apartment. My cat kills some of them but I really cant bear the thought of waking up with another one ON ME while I'm trying to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. (Funny story, I almost broke the toilet seat in a panic.)

Do you have silverfish in your house or apartment and what do you do about it? Anything that actually WORKS?

I think I proof read this enough times to check and see if theres anything that may start a fight. ;) Help is appreciated! Thanks! :)

Casey Casey Message Casey
Sep '09

Re: Worse than stink bugs.... Silverfish!

Oh, and for those of you who aren't sure what a silverfish looks like....................

YUCK!!!

Sep '09

My wife FREAKS when she sees one. I rarely see them, but just Monday when she came home from work she started to panic and yelled for me to come quick---get rid of it. She said she felt nauseous. Silverfish and those big crickets are her worst enemy.
Since it's the first I've seen in a long time I don't think we have a problem....or is this the beginning??

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident Message Mr. Resident
Sep '09

Are you sure they are Silverfish? I just looked them up and they look completely different. I do know of the pest that you posted the picture of...and they are annoying. But I'm not so sure they are Silverfish.

Looking Down
Sep '09

I don't believe those are Silverfish. Silverfish, probably also found in your home, look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

I've seen the critter in your picture, but I'm not sure exactly what it's called. They are very fast and hard to kill as a result.

Keep trying with moisture. Moisture is a common attraction to many insects. Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be any way to keep them all out, just reduce their numbers by making your home more undesirable to be their home.

YetAnotherNewGuy
Sep '09

Yeah, those are centipedes, not silverfish, but gross nonetheless. Silverfish are the ones that you find in the bathtub or near a water source (the ones in the link posted).

Here's a link on getting rid of centipedes. Good luck!

Oh and Casey, maybe turn that bathroom light on and look around before you go!

Tracy Tracy Message Tracy
Sep '09

Thats funny I always thought they were called silverfish also...I guess you learn something new everyday...good luck in trying to get rid of them, I don't habe any suggestions =( sorry...

Cherie Cherie Message Cherie
Sep '09

Casey we use to have a big problem with them in mansfield village the man at home depot saved us ! I'm not sure they are silver fish but keep your drains closed. They usually come up through your drains when your not using the bathroom sink or tub pull the things up as if you were trying to fill them with water. You can buy magnet covers for the drains or just regular covers for your kitchen. Since i have been doing this i have not seen one :o)

shoebie shoebie Message shoebie
Sep '09

I am joining the group that thought they were silverfish.. Isn't is funny that we all thought they were called that. I don't think I have ever seen an actual silverfish now. I wonder what the creature I thought was a centipeed really is. LOL

Firefly Firefly Message Firefly
Sep '09

I thought they were silverfish too. I used to see them when I lived in Eagle Rock Village.

jrsemom jrsemom Message jrsemom
Sep '09

Firefly, if you go into the link Tracy gave they have info. on lots of different bugs.

i just realized we have earwigs that like the inside of our house. LOL

Sunshine Sunshine Message Sunshine
Sep '09

I have an exterminator who comes when our tenants have them..:)

mom of 3 mom of 3 Message mom of 3
Sep '09

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Bugs! so many.

Firefly Firefly Message Firefly
Sep '09

I can thankfully say that I have no bug issues at all. Had a bunch of ants this year, but who didn't?

Alison Alison Message Alison
Sep '09

I didn't. Well not in the house anyway.

Sep '09

i have a ton of them too! Joel from All Seasons Pest Control comes once a year to get rid of them (908) 850-8206

Covering the drains? Sounds a little annoying but i think it may be worth it. Thanks shoebie!

Jivedig yea it is very very annoying but my apt complex takes forever and a day to do anything :-(

Sep '09

OK to clarify (I've done too much research LOL) a CENTIPEDE and a SILVERFISH are very different....

HOWEVER.....

Silverfish have been given the nickname of "THE HOUSE CENTIPEDE" and that explains why some of you consider them centipedes. An actual centipede has a hard shell and is more oblong than these disgusting Silverfish a.k.a House Centipedes...

DEFINATELY covering my drains, thank you!
but hmm can I get a price quote on an exterminator??

Sep '09

Casey I was told they were silverfish too! Anyway we had a bunch of them when we lived in our apartment. The guy at Hometown hardware also told us they were coming up through the drains. He said every so often to pour some bleach down the drains to keep them away and thats what we did. It did seem to cut down on them considerbly. I hardly noticed them at all as long as I was consistent with it.

SMP SMP Message SMP
Sep '09

Bleach down the drain. . . doesn't sound great for the septic, but just a little might be worth it.

Casey, give Joel a call!

I am going to dump a gallon down each drain LOL.

Sep '09

These creatures are the deadly enemy of cockroaches. I don't like them, but I certainly prefer these to roaches, which can't be controlled at all. Silverfish seem to be all over H'town. I remember as a kid in NYC, my mother treasured the silverfish she caught and kept in a can under the kitchen sink. All the roaches vanished from our apartment; it was a blessing. Be careful with what you get rid of; something else much worse might take its place.

Schipwalker Schipwalker Message Schipwalker
Sep '09

I found a general Wikipedia page on these guys. The common reference of 'House Centipede' Casey gave tipped me off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

I would be curious as to how they get into your drain to enter your home. That should be a sealed system to your septic. I think what happens is they get into your home by other means and frequently climb into your drain because there's water/moisture there. So, it's probably common to see them coming out of the drain when you actually see them.

Moisture and humidity attracts them all, including those evil little camel/cave crickets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphidophoridae

YetAnotherNewGuy
Sep '09

how about trying :) http://www.extension.org/

it's a link to Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station they have a search bar, try centipede, house centipede, millipede then there's silverfish, firebrats, fishmoth and bristletails.

hope the info. helps.

Sunshine Sunshine Message Sunshine
Sep '09

Casey if you live in an apartment they are required to hire an exterminator for you

Sep '09

Thank God for this thread and that it's not a silverfish. Thanks, all for spreading the knowledge. Covering the drain is a great idea. (So is never showering again-ugh). *0*

Emma Emma Message Emma
Oct '09

My house is covered with ladybugs today!

Ours too! LOL!

Christine Christine Message Christine
Oct '09

I have an exterminator come out every few months. I was seeing them and couldn't take it anymore!

mommyof2
Oct '09

Well here is one way to get rid of stinkbugs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWy_qneDgg

We have silverfish in my house. There was a really big one in there the other night on the wall and i tried to get it but the thing ran away too fast. Now last night i seen a crap load of babies crawing all over the walls. They are so gross!!!

Dakotah2010 Dakotah2010 Message Dakotah2010
Sep '10

Hairspray stops them and then you can kill them. Worst bug ever!

Res2 Res2 Message Res2
Sep '10

We always called them 1000 leggers,Yes they freak me out also.But in My basement I have those Cave Crickets.I first called them Vampire Spiders,they are big plump and GROSS !!!!! If I find one upstairs in house can't do anything thing til I find it and kill it. I put down the cheap mouse sticky boards around the washer and dryer,in a week they are covered with them.

since1966 since1966 Message since1966
Sep '10

I don't care what you call them....those bugs freak me out more than any other! I get the chills just thinking about one running across the floor.

Mom of 1 & 1
Sep '10

Hahaha laughing my ass off on this thread. I just killed a huge one on my wall and noticed a bunch of spiders too....yes cats are great when it comes to playing with these things but killing them is so much more fun. DIE DIE DIE! Man it was huge....tomorrow I will clean sweep!!!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat Message Pepper Cat
Sep '10

For those who do not know the difference between a Silver Fish and a House Centipede, there is a BIG difference on what they look like.

A Silver Fish is small, with a silver color (hence the name, "SILVERFISH"):

A House Centipede:

And FYI, A House Centipede are good... they eat Spiders.
And good thing we do not live in the Southwest People, or the homes would be crawling with Scorpions.

If you really have a BUG problem, call your local Exterminator or SMOKE your house or put Spider & Ant traps where they are needed most... such as the Kitchen, garage, attic

Mosca Mosca Message Mosca
Sep '10

silverfish aren't the fast ones. they're small and grey and move much slower. the bug in the picture is a house centepede. there is a link for the site that talks about them in one of the other responces.

redbearten
Sep '10

Diatomacious earth will take care of them. Look it up. Stuff is pretty amazing and completely safe for you and your pets. Tickner's has the stuff. Do a search on google for it and there are many links and info.

MikeGuida MikeGuida Message MikeGuida
Sep '10

dont mess with the house centipede they bite and leave a mark tht looks like you got burned with a cigar!!! and it hurts for a few hours!!! kill em from a distance

firefighter5
Sep '10

i jus leave em. they eat spiders, crickets and other un wanted insects. ive never been bitten by one. at the worst they freak ya out a little if its on you, but take your pic. a couple of these little bugs, or a bunch of spiders and other creatures.

scubasteve scubasteve Message scubasteve
Sep '10

If I see any on me, I would probably loose my consciousness.

This is why I should rent expensive apartment, upper floor. I hate my place. Why couldn't the bugs evolved more beutifully?

They r EVERYWHERE in my basement. they FREAK me out. sum of the r HUGE!!!

LAURENL1980 @YAHOO.C
Sep '10

I have them in my basement and was considering moving now the area is under attack with stink bugs. I can't run anywhere. I try not to think about them but its hard. I put down sticky traps and they seem to catch everything on them but sometimes I find them alive and running aroung very freaky looking.

Nik Nik Message Nik
Sep '10

It's a mexican house centipede.. They sting btw.

Stink bugs had 100 in bedroom vacummed up and emptied out They were in curtains and clothed. What work I dont see now

riverat
Oct '10

Wait, you woke up on the toilet?

Thats a different type of silverfish.

madi
Oct '10

Ewww, I HATE those centipede things, I call them 1000 leggers too..had one in my shower once, I opened my eyes and the biggest one I'd ever seen was an inch away from my face!! Ewww I'd rather have stink bugs any day over those nasty ass things.

Stevie Stevie Message Stevie
Oct '10

They are a type of sliverFish cause I have those too they have that fish movement. I actually had on in my apartment in my room last night! I was tripping over every thing lol It was so big I was like WTF! The rest of the night I was paranoid after I struggled to kill the fast moving thing

Marc Marc Message Marc
Oct '10

Marc ..

It is not a silverfish!!! It is a house centipede

A Silver Fish is small, with a silver color (hence the name, "SILVERFISH"):

A House Centipede:

Take a look ... BIIIIG Difference Yucko! I would take the silverfish over that thing anyday of the week! Holy crap!

~Trinty~ ~Trinty~ Message ~Trinty~
Oct '10

OMG!! me and my sister just found one in her husbands closet! we caught it with a baby cup and book! LOL! we were screaming so much and so loud! we didnt know wat the hell it was til now! it is now in our cage with our pet praying mantis! hopefully praying mantis gets a feast! lol

jennifer jennifer Message jennifer
Nov '10

I too have this bug in my apartment - thankfully not as bad as some of you indicate on here, but still have them non the less. I always called it a silverfish, but believe mine is the house centipede. These damn things are quick. my cat used to just play with them instead of kill them which is what she was there for(well not only that) - but at least during play time she slowed them down a bit so made it easier for me to get at them. The other day I was cleaning up my daughters toy and one came running out from underneath. Ive been trying to get this guy for over a week (hope its the same guy) - he kept running thru the heating system from one room to the other. Needless to say - I believe I got him.

I must say - you all have some pretty funny stories on here. Good luck with your critters. I was happy to read that they feast on other bugs (ie spiders which I hate cuz they love eating me - and bedbugs which I dont have but do fear with the reports on the news of stores in NYC being shut down to correct the infestations. ick...

BugHater
Nov '10

Oh by the way - forgot to mention - a friend of mine woke with a terrible ear ache - she complained to her husband who just minimized it figuring it was yet another complaint from the Hypochondriac. so...she went off to work - then several hours later when the pain would not go away she went to her doctor who looked in her ear and reported that a silver fish had crawled and taken up residence inside. Ugh....and we complain when one jumps off a toilet paper roll onto our thigh. It was like the Frank & Beans of that movie Something About Mary...they just kept calling other doctors into the office to look at this bug in her ear before they removed it. Ewwwee.....and we thought we had it bad. Im always so worried when I leave my house for days at a time that one of these bugs or a spider is living in my sheets. I got the hee be jeebies just thinking about it.

BugHater
Nov '10

Let me tell you, I would much rather have roaches than the house centipede. Why? Because I could get an exterminator to get rid of roaches. I've dealt with roaches before, and these days, a good exterminator can get rid of them. But house centipedes don't multiply like roaches, and they eat other bugs, and don't feed on the poison. So they are very hard to get rid of.
We just moved into a new house a few months ago, and my room is in the basement. I was seeing 3 or 4 centipedes every night, big ones, about 2-3 inches long. Then several babies throughout the day. They run very fast, so you have to have a can of bug spray on hand. One night I saw one that was the biggest I had seen, probably about 4 inches long. It ran into the closet before I could get the spray. I don't know what I hate worse, these, or a spider. They are equally gross.
It is now getting colder, and I don't see them as much as I did before. But for the past two nights, I saw two. The night before last, one was on the wall. Then last night, on the floor near my bed. I can't stand these things, they are disgusting. Roaches don't terrify me, because they are small and although disgusting don't have long hairy looking legs. And like I already said, an exterminatr can get rid of them.
People say if you kill the centipedes, then you will have other bugs. Probably spiders. But I don't know which is worse.

mamalommy mamalommy Message mamalommy
Nov '10

The image you have is not a silverfish. That is a type of house centipede. To see what silverfish look like google images it. Majority of the pics are correct but the ones that look like your pic the people classified it incorrectly like you did.

Dark_Mistress
Nov '10

BugHater: Please tell me this really didn't happen!! I wil forever have to sleep with earplugs in. I am totally grossed out by this whole thread but I can't stop reading :-)

toomanyboys
Nov '10

If you have silverfish in your home, I personally would wear earplugs. And for those with the debate on what is worse: the house centipede or the silverfish. I would have to say the silverfish is worse. House centipedes although being really creepy, fast moving, and poisonous (NOT deadly), it RARELY attacks people. You have to be cornering it or such to make it feel threatened and must be moving really slow for it to be able to bite you. Which also brings out the question why would you ever allow a part of you that's bared near it? These creepy guys, although hard to kill unless you have fast movements, takes care of a lot of other insects....like spiders....its favorite food: brown recluses. So there is some benefit to having them around if you have poisonous spiders in residence. In Japan they actually have an honoring ceremony for those guys and they never kill them...unless on accident. As for the silverfish:they have no positive value... AT ALL. and the case mentioned of a silverfish crawling into a friend's ear, is far from being the only case of that happening. So as a result: I would rather have a house centipede in my home than a silverfish, although I would prefer neither.

Dark_Mistress Dark_Mistress Message Dark_Mistress
Nov '10

I thought they were silverfish too! One (or more?) has recently taken up residence in my apartment and my boyfriend refuses to kill it for me! I've considered telling the leasing office, but I have two very curious kitties (who I have not paid the deposit for) who would probably get into whatever was sprayed to kill the bugs.

Marie Marie Message Marie
Nov '10

They are a different centipede species in the family Scutigeridae.

They're also known as house centipedes or Scutigera Coleoptatra.
They also go by the Silverfish name but technically aren't Silverfish.

Dehumidifiers in the area where they are will kill them.
Where do they come from? They usually crawl up your sinks.

Close the sinks when your not using them with the pull up thingy like you would do to fill the sink. Do this when you are not using the sink.

Or call Billy the Exterminator ;) He'll dust them off :P

Jo killa
Dec '10

I pray no good decent man or woman ever meets this kind of bug is his home.
Home is sacred to me,I love being at home,but with those nasty insects I cannot feel safe anymore,I can't wait to finish school and get the hell out of here.

ZRebellion
Jan '11

Yeah, that's not a silverfish although it looks like something that belongs in the Jurassic era.

I once saw, on my apartment wall, a centipede eating a silverfish! So centipedes have a positive aspect to them, but likely not the solution you would want to a silverfish problem!

jerseydutchman2
Mar '11

i see the in my house i take my axe bodyspray and a lighter its fun watching the blow up lol

james101 james101 Message james101
Mar '11

And they're both revolting!

cbel cbel Message cbel
Mar '11

I'm gonna have nightmares now. I knew I shouldn't have clicked those links.

Mar '11

just want to say that if anyone has shoes or slippers in their basement always wear socks. i stuck my hand in my slipper the other night to fix the inside and guess what was hanging from the tip of my finger dead and still twitching. not going to lie i almost threw up. my brother wouldnt stop making fun of me.

adamm adamm Message adamm
Apr '11

both are horrible, stinky silverfish, ugh

BrotherDog BrotherDog Message BrotherDog
Apr '11

Dow bathroom cleaner kills them on contact and you clean up the area when wipe them up the a paper towel and dispose of in the garbage...

Suzanne Suzanne Message Suzanne
Apr '11

its a house centipede, silverfish are silver in color, thats why they were given the name silverfish, but the house centipede eats roaches, so if you have roaches and u want to get rid of them first let the centipede live

annonymous
Apr '11

I use Home Defense MAX by Ortho.

It has an attached hose with nozzle. Spray it around the entire perimeter of your apartment, where the wall meets the floor. Spray it on the window ledge both inside and outside. Spray it in every crack and crevice both visible and hidden.

This should cut down on the amount of creepy-crawlers but may not totally rid you of them.

jellybean jellybean Message jellybean
Apr '11

Thanks to this thread i now know i have house centipedes not silver fish but they both scare me ugh

Apr '11

Gotta give some love to those cave crickets! yuck

Jimmy Jimmy Message Jimmy
Apr '11

one person says those are not silverfish and EVERYONE believes it! google " silverfish bug" and that same picture pops up! THOSE ARE ALSO CALLED SILVERFISH! there are just different kinds.

jay41274 jay41274 Message jay41274
Apr '11

i hate all bugs! just saw this guy picture at the beginning of your thread in my bathroom right by my face and freaked out! i decided to google silverfish to see if they bite or not and found this helpful link! still creeped out and upset that the towels i put under the door cracks until my boyfriend gets home are worthless :(

slepinwlitzon
May '11

I just bash the hell out of the nasty things with either a tissue box or my shoe. Whichever is more readily available. So house centipedes bite? I always called those things with many legs silverfish I guess I was misinformed, but they are always small when I see them and it's usally not that often. It looks exactly like the house centipede though. Are they just smaller house centipedes or is this something else entirely?

JR89
Jun '11

Casey, I just realized this is an old thread ...in response to the silverfish/centipedes ... you mentioned you have a cat and just wanted to warn you, my cat had eaten one and became ill. I took him to the vet and he said centipedes can cause stomach upset. He was ok, but it took him a couple days to fully recover.

puden15 puden15 Message puden15
Jun '11

I found two in my bathroom. Use RUBBING ALCOHOL (91%). IT KILLS THEM! :)

sickofthishouse
Jul '11

I hate bugs and I am petrified of these things because boy can they run. My bf was gone for the night and I saw one on the wall. The rule in my family is that when there is a bug and you need to kill it, use somebody else's shoes not your own!!! Its interesting watching a family of women chasing for each other's shoes. I killed the thing, but there were bug guts all over the wall. I pretended I didn't know where they came from when I was questioned! I do not have a huge problem (knock on wood) with these, just those tiny black bugs whatever they are.

sunshinenj
Jul '11

those are indeed silver fish. They are no joke I would rather have rouches than those hellish nightmares they are infact worster than spiders, because atleast spiders don't walk around your house or in your cereal in the morning, they even jump in your bathtub and sink. I gotta go my girl wants me to kill something for her.

zombieM
Jul '11

I always thought those were Silverfish as well but I learned they are not. I am not sure what they are called but I KNOW they are NOT centipedes in general. Maybe of that family though. I get them at my house but in random - I HATE THEM. If there are drains in your home that you don't use regularly make sure you run very hot water down them at least once a day for several minutes. I do come up through drains and like dampness. Also, I have found that those sticky traps you put on the floor are helpful to capture them when you haven't prevented them. Try putting those around doorways to the outside. If you live in an apartment they are probably coming from a source near your unit. It maybe another apartment or some type of basement / storage facility that is underground or damp. You may want to consult your landlord about an exterminator and it should be at his expense. Unfortunately you won't be able to do much to control your environment if they are elsewhere in your unit and not maintained.

Good luck! I feel your pain, brother!

Samantha Samantha Message Samantha
Jul '11

I just want to point out that Silverfish and Centipedes are COMPLETELY different insects. House Centipedes EAT Silverfish, along with many other kinds of insects; they are insectivores and arachnids. I think I see how someone came to the conclusion that an alias for the Silverfish is "House Centipede" though; if you do a Google search for "Silverfish" the wikipedia page for Silverfish is the first one at the top, and this is what Google's snapshot of the page is: "Lepisma saccharina, frequently called silverfish, fishmoths, ... Earwigs, house centipedes and spiders are known to be predators of silverfish. ...". So if only the first ¾ of that is quickly read, you can see how one could make that mistake. Hope this helps put to rest any confusion as to what is in that picture above.

Bug Guy Bug Guy Message Bug Guy
Jul '11

And Samantha, what is pictured above is a kind of Centipede(belonging to that family of insects) commonly known as the House Centipede. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata hope these have helped! :)

Bug Guy Bug Guy Message Bug Guy
Jul '11

ughhh so silverfish nassty def worse than stink bugs.. why do all bugs have to be soo ugly n creep.. we would go to jail for going into someones house n chillin on the walls or u know someones ear yuk! was sick after reading like 3 blogs but couldn't stop.. now on mommy patrol cotton in ears lol! anyway to get rid of these silverfish things??? HELP!!!!!

tayra tayra Message tayra
Jul '11

I called to discuss with my property manager & have the pest control people out to see what could be done. When I spoke with him I explained that I looked it up & had concluded that they were House Centipedes. I did as I was asked by my complex & left a dead one for them & also a picture which looks EXACTLY like the one posted here. I just got a call from my property manager saying pest control people said they were Silverfish & they had put something down for it. Will it work anyway?

Whit Whit Message Whit
Jul '11

I'm just seeing this thread and omg, I always thought they were some type of centipede. I've only had one or two in current home but got them all the time in my apt. which was near swampy land, so I figured the water had something to do with it. Please let me know what pest control you used and how it worked out. I don't want any more of these as we also have those cave crickets. And based on info from other threads, I will get a dehumidifier for my basement so hopefully we won't have so many critters. Hope it all works out for you!

wallflower
Jul '11

I live next to a creek and we have lots of them! I hate the little many legged bastards! Tonight on our way home, my son went to screaming in the car because he said something was on him. We are talking blood curdling, Ned Flanders screaming. Now that I know it's not a damn silverfish I have more of a passion to kill these little sons of bitches. The nerve of that bug to come across my back seat where my children sit. We had to beg the kids to go back into their car seats tonight so we could drive another 20 minutes home. I felt so sorry for my son, because my husband was yelling at him to MAN Up. He's not even five years old yet. That and the poor little guy has two younger sisters! I could have Jap Slapped the crap out of my husband knowing what kind of a bug this was and that it can sting! I agree with a reader above, when I see them I get that sick feeling like I am going to hurl my guts up as well. Something about them makes me feel so sick! Yuck! Nasty !

JAW JAW Message JAW
Jul '11

The original post was showing a picture of a house centipede.
A silverfish is different, as are earwigs

Dawn in NJ Dawn in NJ Message Dawn in NJ
Aug '11

We have silverfish in our attic. They eat the old newspapers we try to keep uneaten. Though luckly there aren't very many. I see them every once in a while and i used to like to pick them up before my dad would squish them. I like how shiny they are, but not how they are fast.... and look kinda prehistoric almost. But they are a nuisance. Im visiting some family and my cousin and i were up late and saw one of those centipedes in the bathroom. CREEPY! I dont like the legs and they are faster than silverfish. They like, blur when they move. and hard to squish! Yuck. Silverfish are all right.... but these creepy things. I normally like bugs and will put them back outside. But these things. Do. Not. Belong. In. The. Sight. Of. Humans. Agreed? Agreed. :)
Ta Ta For Now!

Anna Anna Message Anna
Aug '11

Silver fish go through 3 or 4 stages before the final one where they sort of resemble a silver centipede. They are not hard to kill. Go to your local store and buy some of that Raid Max bug barrier for the outside perimeter of your home. I sprayed some outside my house and the next day when I got up, there were all kinds of dead bugs laying on the sidewalk. I hope that helps.

John Weller John Weller Message John Weller
Aug '11

Ignorance abounds!

That is a house centipede, not a silverfish.

Don't like it? Well watch a few YouTube videos of it hunting, killing and eating spiders, including brown recluse and black widows, and then re-evaluate your feelings.

Scutigera coleoptrat
Aug '11

Wow. I'm sooo relieved I'm not the only person who has this problem in my apartment in chicago. I absolutely HATE these things with a passion and I too get severely nauseous when I have to kill them and then pick them up to throw them away. I feel your pain Casey. I'm so glad u made this thread. I'm now going to get a cat and pour 2 gallons of bleach down ALL of my drains.

Kelsey
Aug '11

if a silverfish goes in your ear, you're most likely going to go deaf . One of my friends moved into an apartment that was infested with silverfish, but she thought she could get rid of them . When she went to bed. a silverfish went in her ear and chewed on her eardrum and she went deaf in that ear.. The best advice i can give you is: MOVE OUT! there is no way of getting rid of silverfish .

foxy grandma foxy grandma Message foxy grandma
Sep '11

Ew ew ew ew EWWWWWW!!! I just saw a house centipied in my bedroom and I'm freeeaaking out. It went under my bed, and although I'm happy to know that they eat spiders, I still don't want it in my room. Just.. no. Idk what to do!

mckaylabug mckaylabug Message mckaylabug
Oct '11

I hate spiders but adopted one little guy to help solve the silverfish problem
unfortunatly after two days the spider dissapered.

silverfish give me the creeps. i always had a fear of spiders going in my ear
but to think of a silverfish makes me shivver.

I hate my appartment im forever cleaning yet the buggers still appear.
I find them everywhere! i also started to plug in my sinks befor bed to wake in the
morning to find More than i normally would in my bath

To me that took the buscuit. Would rather spiders,at least you can keep half an eye
on them and there movements.
My cats usless he just sits there watchimg them and waits for me to squich them.
Grrr lol.

charlotte charlotte Message charlotte
Dec '11

I am deathly afraid of bugs, and i saw one in my shower yesterday. I am now afraid to shower in case it comes back.

June June Message June
Dec '11

Yeah well I just found one in my mother tub today and I was going to use it to damn you bugs and your freakes ways and many legs waaaaaaaaaaaa! that war is on.

Shenraw Shenraw Message Shenraw
Dec '11

This is not a joke - I woke up the morning at about 5:00 a.m. with loud rustling sounds in my ear and occasional shooting pain, sweating, feeling really gross. I immediately suspected a bug in my ear having heard a horror story a while back similar to this. I tried to lie still, hoping the bug would come out on it's own, but it was way too uncomfortable and painful. Finally I went to my computer and looked up how to get a bug out - and found:

http://pohick.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-safely-remove-bug-from-your-ear.html

and

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid/HQ00061

I woke my wife, we got some baby oil and a syringe, turned my ear up and injected the oil. Voila, out came the little critter - a silverfish, I think, but it was pretty soggy so not greatly recognizable. I tell you, it's not something I want to go through again, but the baby oil did the trick quickly and efficiently.

ColinC ColinC Message ColinC
Feb '12

ColinC: That is the grossest thing I ever read. It makes me want to sleep with cotton balls in my ears. Too disgusting!

cbel cbel Message cbel
Feb '12

DISGUSTINGGGGGGGG!!! YUCKY MUCKY!!! My sister once had a roach in her ear and it was painful.We though she just had a ear infection and while in the shower it just crawled out and the pain was gone.DISGUSTING

luvjaz luvjaz Message luvjaz
Feb '12

I used to have them in an apartment I lived in. Hairspray stops them in their tracks. Then you can get them.

Res2 Res2 Message Res2
Feb '12

O..............M................. G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb '12

I knew someone that did have an actual earwig crawl into their ear. That gives me the willies to say the least. It can happen though.

youngnfresh youngnfresh Message youngnfresh
Feb '12

I HATE silverfish they r always in my bathroom. But sometimes I play a little game with them called were do u go when u r scared of something. So I just like to make noise and they run around in panic.

P.S. Really funny

Poop Poop Message Poop
Mar '12

Poop: Yes, it *is* funny. But I have to ask...what on earth made you pick "Poop" for your screen name?

cbel cbel Message cbel
Mar '12

Haha I am sooo glad I am not the only one with this house centipede hating complex. I just had to call my mom last night after killing one in my tub so she could talk me down after my near death experience(or wht felt like one)it was huge and made a gross sound after I smushed it. Im really proud of myself for actually killing it or even allowing it that close to my skin,but I was still terrified to bathe. I checked everwhere before I proceded. Every crack, bottle, and even the top of my shower curtain bar!!! I HATE THEM!!!! I saw another today. Ick!!! I think it all stems back to my first experience with one when I was 8. I found one it the shower. We had 1 bathroom and I was so scared I couldnt bath for a week and I would not pee unless the bathroom was thoroughly searched. I actually entered the bathroom half upsided. Im sureown checking above the door first. I'm sure this sounds rediculous but i'm ok with it.

Thanks for the earplug and drain blocking advice. I will make sure to also use a ton of bleach amd maybe drop a match down afterward!!!!

Paranoid now Paranoid now Message Paranoid now
Mar '12

I had one in my closet and another in my bathroom. There getting to the point of being ANNOYING ! any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Daphine
Mar '12

I would just like to do a recent clarification for people who skip to most recent comments. The picture associated with this blog is a house centipede, not a silver fish. A silverfish does not at any time morph into a centipede, they are completely different insects. If you have what is pictured in the first comment, you have a house centipede. The H.C. is a predator who likes more humid areas which is why the frequent bathrooms. The H.C. is only problem if you have an abundant food source already infesting your home. I always get these guys in my house in NJ because ants always pop up in my crawl space and start to come in my home. A short time after the ants pop up they go away and i find many fat H.C. living in my garage and sometimes venturing indoors. I just catch and release but to each his own. H.C. are fast but if you have a deep plastic cup, they can not climb out from it even though they scale walls and ceilings. Also, they seem to not have a lot of stamina. I find if i chase one for a little bit they tire out and are easier to coral. Lastly, if you want info on silverfish you are on your own. Hope this clears stuff up.

Jamesc31 Jamesc31 Message Jamesc31
Mar '12

I have been seeing these things,all over my house lately.. Lastnight I went to go check on my 3month old daughter while she was sleeping and I seen one on the wall right above her crib (she slept with me the rest of the night) iknow that their stings are harmless but what about to a 3month old baby, the thought of her being bitien by one of these things terrifies me

paranoid mommy paranoid mommy Message paranoid mommy
May '12

I call them million leggers lol and one time I put on a zip up and I felt somthing in my sleeve and there it was crawling up my arm... I never freaked out so much in my life!

s@hm
May '12

leave the house centipedes alone to do their work - catching other insect pests! I use the plastic pot and card method to catch them and then gently deposit them outside on my orchids so that they will help keep down other bugs. I have seen them eating spiders and each other but never had one try to bite me. They are quite delicate and easily squashed and also will drop off some legs in attempting to escape. Yes they do look frightening but really are harmless friends. I think they do not taste good to cats so after a few tries cats tend to just watch them and bat at them with their paws.
Now silverfish are much smaller shrimp-like creatures harmless to us but very destructive of wall paper, books and carbohydrate foods - they should be destroyed! Cats do love to eat these so they must have a good taste. One of my bathrooms is infested with them, but only seen if you suddenly switch on the light at night. You might not even spot the smaller nymphs (only 1-2mm long) but they run pretty fast heading for a dark crevice, however my cat is usually faster! LOL

brumman brumman Message brumman
Jul '12

I HATE Silverfishes with a passion! They have driven me out of a rental suite a few years ago. Whenever I see one now, I kill them with Mr. Clean. Just spray on and they'll be done in a few seconds. Haven't found anything that works better :)

Debbie Debbie Message Debbie
Jul '12

pour ammonia down all the sinks and shower drains.

tired of bureaucracy tired of bureaucracy Message tired of bureaucracy
Jul '12

That's a house centipede. Silverfish and house centipede's a two totally different insects, i just killed one myself, it's completely harmless, just gross!

popopopop popopopop Message popopopop
Aug '12

cedarcide.com

Eliminates ALL bugs
Non-toxic

They are indeed house centipedes and they do NOT come up through your drains. That is a myth. They like damp areas so you often will find them hiding in a sink or bathtub but they didn't get there through the drain. Also they kill EVERY other bug out there so they are quite useful to have around. I have house centipedes and have NEVER seen another bug, spider, or other pest. If you really don't want them around then get rid of their food which would require eliminating all other pests. You will also want to clear any wood piles or other debris close to your house where they like hide. One thing to note is that they will bite you and it will sting if you try to pick it up but they won't attack you, just run from you as fast as they can. Don't try to handle them and you will be fine. The sting doesn't really hurt much anyway, much like a bee sting.

chris s chris s Message chris s
Apr '13

Spray some hot shot on them....the one that says kitchen bugs with botanical insectides. I sprayed on one last night and the thing died in my sink, all it's legs came off too.. It was gross

Subaru lou
Jul '13

Casey...

One of the best solution's I have come across for getting rid of silverfish and other buggers like this is to lay down a dusting of "Diatomaceous Earth". You can get a bag at Home Depot.

Silverfish love boxes, old books, and your attic. I know that a lot of them come from my attic so I went up there and just dusted the areas where you don't walk. Get rid of old boxes though. They walk in the stuff and it clogs their pores or something like that and they die. I have had excellent results with this. I also don't see any stink bugs up there anymore either.

It is an excellent non-evasive, non-chemical solution to your problem. Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. The tiny diatoms scratch off the insect's waxy coating, and dehydrate it. The best thing is that It is harmless to humans and pets and it can be used to get rid of fleas also.

Good luck!

Astrat Astrat Message Astrat
Jul '13

Uhhhhh that is called a house centipede. I am 18 and we get them alot until I bought a defense spray and sprayed the perimeter of the my floor. These centipedes come out when its humid and moist so get a dehumidifier.

Ryan Ryan Message Ryan
Sep '13

cedarcide.com

2ndtimearound 2ndtimearound Message 2ndtimearound
Sep '13

They make an Electronic Sonic repeller that may work. You can find them under "bug repellant". Amazon has some.

House centipedes make me scream and want to vomit my insides out. Shoes also kill them on contact but I have to make someone else do it.

Jack Manning Jack Manning Message Jack Manning
Sep '13

While this is an old forum, all I have to say is, "for goodness sake."
As many other posters have stated they EAT cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other pests, even small spiders. You kill them and you're killing your best pest defense.
They won't attack you, while they can bite, it is usually only when handled.
They don't leave feces all over the place, eat human food, or even damage objects, so why not just catch and release, or leave them be? I leave mine alone, and I never have a problem with bugs that could ruin a home. It's like a smaller less cute version of a farm cat, accept no dead mice on the front porch.

Patrocino Patrocino Message Patrocino
Sep '13

Stink bugs, centipedes, silverfish and spiders do not bother me.....but I can't deal with roaches, ticks, ants, fleas and flies!! I guess I'm an insect racist! Oh forgot spiders are not insects :)

positive positive Message positive
Sep '13

This is a good bug to have around and not a silverfish. Kills unwanted bugs.

According to Orkin those are called house centipedes. And they feed on silver fish, bed bugs, cockroaches, spiders, and termites.

Unknown999
Oct '13

Actually the name of these insects are gejigeji. The scientific name is the Scutigera coleoptrata (a.k.a 'the house centipede'). These are actually one of the only insects I am petrified of, and are extremely hard to kill (because they can move a little over a foot every second). They eat other insects and can be anywhere from 1/2 inch - 4 inches in length.

RickJ RickJ Message RickJ
Oct '13

I've heard that if you leave a few cans of beer opened in the area that you think is most occupied by these gross fast sneaky bugs, they will crawl in and drown. Good luck!!

Amanda Amanda Message Amanda
Dec '13

here is a pic

cunnginham cunnginham Message cunnginham
Jan '14

http://www.uky.edu/Classes/ENT/574/insects/homes/fshc/fshc.htm

Gross, and I hate them, but they are actually on your side.

Bugsy
Mar '14

Silverfish Bug: One has to be very careful while treating the silverfish bug as it can cause harm in the areas where they grow. We might not be able to see them at all times but they can be traced by their mold which they shed often during their multiplication. They should be treated as soon as they are traced as they can cause tremendous loss and damage to our belongings. They can dig holes in the wall, pierce through our clothes leaving a yellowish stain on it, and destroy book bindings. They can also scrap the plaster of the wall and make ugly looking holes in it.

The silverfish bug can be also traced in the outside environment like bird nest, on the body of animals and on the bark of the wood. These are the places from where they generally cultivate and then gradually enter into our house. Some common measures which one can adopt to treat them are by keeping the surroundings free from stagnant water and by keeping the bathroom clean and dry. Regular spraying of insecticides is also essential to get rid of them. One can get rid of them inside the cupboard by keeping naphthalene balls. Silverfish bug is a very common insect seen in the household. As it generally breeds in moist areas one should try to keep the areas dry and clean.

Do silverfish bite? Well, one good thing about these bugs is that they very rarely bite, and if they do it is completely harmless to humans.

That's a house centipede not a silverfish and they are freakin big and fast and yes they do bite with venom it isn't leathal but it fckn hurts alot.

This is a silver fish they are tiny and harmless----->

The Mitch The Mitch Message The Mitch
Apr '14

I've seen some of the pictures people have been posting of what they think a silverfish looks like.

Here is link to a picture of a silverfish
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/silverfish-and-firebrats/img/silverfish.jpg

Here is a link to a picture of a house centipede
http://cheekydiva.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/silverfish.jpg

Though the silverfish may look big in that picture, they are relatively small.
There has been a misunderstanding. Silverfish are harmless to humans. The most damage they can really do is eat small bits of paper such as documents, pages in books, etc. they may also feed on clothing. Silverfish do not real ease any pungent odors nor do they have the ability to bite. The pictures that people were posting were of house centipedes. If you have house centipedes than you have a problem. House centipedes as quick making them very difficult to catch. They also bite and though their bites do not contain a lot of venom, it's irritating.

I hope this helps.

Kanoa Tom Kanoa Tom Message Kanoa Tom
Jul '14

Can someone help me confirm that this is a silverfish larvae? I opened an old computer of mine and out ran four of them. I was able to photograph this guy at the bottom of the case.

I just want to make sure this isn't something worse.

Patrick Patrick Message Patrick
September 7th

They are not silverfish, they are house centipedes.

rob6767 rob6767 Message rob6767
September 8th

So if there were several of these younger ones in an old computer case, does that indicate a larger infestation of house centipedes?

Patrick Patrick Message Patrick
September 8th

Huh, I was always told they were silverfish. Didn't know anything really about them. Glad you guys shared that wiki link. Not so freaked out by them anymore. I guess realistically, they're just seriously creepy. But, knowing they eat spiders and roaches, I feel better about having them around.

Vinegar and hot sauce gets rid of them quickly. Pour it down drains that you don't use a lot though. Gets rid of bad smell and gross insectoids. Also even if it doesn't repel them it will drown them or it is absorbed and they die by corrosion.

Theros H Rex Theros H Rex Message Theros H Rex
3 days ago

or maybe they just dont like the smell...

3 days ago

Diatomaceous earth (food grade). It is white powder that dehydrates silverfish and other bug pests and causes their death. Dust all areas where they can hide and they will die simply from walking through it. Diatomaceous earth for silverfish is efficient as long as it is dry. Though the powder is lethal to pests, it’s non-toxic to people and pets

Astrat Astrat Message Astrat
3 days ago

or maybe they just dont like the smell...

1 day ago

you think that's bad years ago my friends pet tarantula got loose in their house and they never found it..i told him in advance that if i was over and that thing dropped or started crawling on me i would stomp it dead that's my first reflex.i don't know why but i hate spiders..i would rather have a snake running loose in my house than spiders..

tunnel rat tunnel rat Message tunnel rat
1 day ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.