What do you know about that

If you need to know about something ask. If you have the answer tell us

Let me start with

Question dose any one know the history of that octagon shaped house on washington street

Claude Claude Message Claude
Sep '09

Hopefully the house will be on the Historic House Tour this year, didn't get to go last year.

Here's some info. to your question:

The Octagon house was built in 1859, by Joseph Rice. :)

Sunshine Sunshine Message Sunshine
Sep '09

Cool thread!

Q: Is the Hackettstown Reservoir over by 46 open to the public? There's a waterfall there, and apparently fish in the reservoir. People go... but is it technically allowed??

Rebecka Rebecka Message Rebecka
Sep '09

Re: What do you know about that

Hackettstown. Octagon house. Built in 1859, by Joseph Rice. On Washington Street. Brick. One story porch encircles the house. Located at 650 Washington Street.

if i`m not mistaken a guy I went to school with named Warren De Nee lived there .

yogel yogel Message yogel
Sep '09

A little personal history,on the north side of the reservior(if they haven`t been torn or fallen down)there`s a house and behind it a smaller building.the little building out back was at one time a little three room living quarters,cold running water and an outhouse.I was very young,maybe 3 or 4,an aunt of mine and her two oldest kids lived there while my uncle was in the navy during the korean conflict,1952 maybe.

Sep '09

I like Victorain style homes and Hackettstown is Full of them do they have a open house day like Belvidere dose

Sep '09

Oh that Octogon houes is nice inside I was seeing a girl that lived there in the 80s

Sep '09

does anybody knows where is the thread about "Tell us about you"
??
I can't find it.. yes, I did search...

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy Message BrownEyesGuy
Sep '09

The HMUA reservior is open if you have a permit from the HMUA, you need to stop at the office and pick one up.

earnhardt earnhardt Message earnhardt
Sep '09

Mansfield township
Jackson Valley Rd near Mitchell Rd There was some type of area that was blocked off there was a few small buildings back in off the road and there were rail tracks in the ground was there some type of mines back in there ?

Tunnel hill in there is a road that gose up the mountan from there where dose it go and i know there is a home up there any one know any thing about these things ?

CagedAnimal CagedAnimal Message CagedAnimal
Sep '09

I can tell you about Tunnel Hill. At one time the family that lived up was named Jost. He was, I think, a diamond cutter in NYC. He owned just about all of that mountain, but most of it has been sold to the state of NJ now. Not sure if any of the Jost family still lives there any more tho.

Thank you cc

Sep '09

If I remember right, a family by the name of Cochran, who owned a local funeral home, owned the octogon house in the 60's-70's.

Peggy C. Peggy C. Message Peggy C.
Sep '09

Question
A list of items was sent home from the Hackettstow Schools, as to what each child was to bring . like paper, pens and so on . Any one still have this list. because i was told last night that 4 tennis balls were a required item. any one know why and what was done with them. at the Willowdrove School ?

Nov '09

does claude know that does is spelled does not dose

cbgpzb cbgpzb Message cbgpzb
Nov '09

As to the octagon house, my understanding always was that it was one of only 7 or 8 in the entire U.S. And I don't think the Cochrans ever owned it, but I could be wrong. I have been before!! The funeral home was located at #326 Washington.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys Message LVMomOfBoys
Nov '09

cbgpzb
yes i know just love to wath people get all freaked out over spelling. by the way did you kno that your brain is wired to know what i am saying

Nov '09

Tennis balls are generally used to improve the accoustics in a classroom. This is generally a modification for a hearing impaired child, but the noise reduction benefits all learners. :)

colette colette Message colette
Nov '09

Sorry - I should have added that the tennis balls are cut slit-wise and inserted on the chair legs to reduce background noise when the chairs are pushed in or out! oops

colette colette Message colette
Nov '09

for instance when I just read caged animal my brain thought it said claude

cbgpzb cbgpzb Message cbgpzb
Nov '09

Resturant on rt 517 north of I-80 by intersectiom of 517 and 611 it has had many names over the years need help with the name about 17yrs ago

Dec '09

CA I am not sure if seventeen years ago, but it used to be "The Still".

chrisb
Dec '09

Is that the place that used to show old movies???

Dec '09

thank you it was the still

Dec '09

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.