Out side of Hackettstown Local Trivia

What can you remember of the local areas , how have things changed ?

Claude Claude Message Claude
Aug '09

Hey Claud,how about some kind of refrence point,maybe share changes you have noticed and what area they are in.

yogel yogel Message yogel
Aug '09

Something I haven't seen on other threads is reference to the Game Farm. We used to ride our bikes out Grand Avenue towards Mansfield. I'm not sure how far out it was. They had pens with deer and peacocks. I can't remember who ran it or what the purpose was.

Nostalgic for H-town Nostalgic for H-town Message Nostalgic for H-town
Aug '09

Top of Hackettstown Mtn. used to be K&K Fencing where the Dodge Dealer is now...anyone remember???

jettailgaiter jettailgaiter Message jettailgaiter
Sep '09

The Rockport Game Farm is still there and still breeds pheasants, I think. I remember riding our bikes there, too, and feeding the deer.

Rich Rich Message Rich
Sep '09

Dose any one remember out on the Delaware The 55gal drum pontune boat races

the game farm on the road to port murry that was all ways nice

Sep '09

my husband and I loved going to the 55 gal drum pontune races. It was amazing to see these home made boats floating down the river..Year after year the boats would be amazing ...Wish they still had them

I remember the Old Shoprite on Stiger.. and when mama's pizza was a small little place near the old mall - which wasnt much of a mall.

darlugh darlugh Message darlugh
Sep '09

Speaking of boat races, anyone remember when they used to have speedboat races on Lake Musconetcong? That was long before the lake became overgrown with weeds.

justintime justintime Message justintime
Sep '09

Re: Out side of Hackettstown Local Trivia

i raced in the boat races on the delaware...the great delaware river raft race...or ebenezer scroggins day for short...the race ran from shawnee on the delaware to martins creek railroad trestle...the most dangerous thing about that race...was going through foul rift rapids...still a very dangerous place to this day...i also used to ride my bike out to the rockport game farm...it all has changed

oldman oldman Message oldman
Sep '09

Tubing on the Mighty Musky river every summer with my friends. Doesn't take much to enjoy summers in those days! Fishin, Baseball, A game of catch, riding your bikes, Mets game on channel 9 & Yankees on 11 (Yankees stunk in those days), Summer Football practice (sweat,sweat,sweat).

Begin Again Finnigan
Sep '09

They had the Speed Boat Races on Budd Lake too went to them
Why did they stop the drum races
I cant beleve that a lot of people cant remember the hill where Home Depot sits the tri county fair was held there we watched sky divers and fire works from the top of the hill

Sep '09

Thanks for bringing up the boat races on Lake Musconetcong. I was just talking about that with some co-workers who aren't native to the area and i really don't think they believe me. That used to be one of the coolest parts of summer.

Its not that far off in the past but when Waterloo Village had "good" concerts(i guess concerts at all for that matter). I've seen the Beach Boys, Chicago, James Taylor and a few others that well for reasons left unsaid I cannot seem to remember?!?! You may not like that music but they were national names right here in our backyard. Now just a rotting stage remains.

Speaking of Shop-Rites, how about when Byram Shop Rite was a vacant lot cleared but held up by the wood turtle or something. I always laughed at the sign that used to say "Future Home of Shop-Rite"

IceWater
Sep '09

Speaking of boat races who remembers when budd lake would freeze over and they raced ice boats?
I`ve asked before but I guess I`m the only one (maybe old enough)to remember the merry go round in Budd Lake at the point where sandshore road shoots left off 46.
and last for now Butler Park ,gone long ago but I had a lot of fun times there as a kid.

Sep '09

Yogel & Clyde..... been here 53 yrs off & on so I can share in those walks down memory lane. I also learned to ice skate on the Bud & ice fish. Also hunted those fields & farms in Mansfield that are now developed.

Begin Again Finnigan
Sep '09

Claude:I remember the night I sat on that hill with a girl from town,drinking beer and listening to Jerry Lee Lewis,the rest of the night was pretty good too,yeaaaa!

Sep '09

B.A.F. I remember when you could hunt where the high school now sits,before kindling wood village was there.I`ll bet you remember when they used to have the circus on n.main st.too.

Sep '09

yogel: Did you have a big smile on your face when you were typing about the night on that hill? Aah, memories.

cbel cbel Message cbel
Sep '09

I remember when the Trade Center was nothing but woods and dirt bikes where the thing on
Sunday. When route 80 did come up this far and to get to Pennsie you went through the center of Hackettstown. Anyone remember the Pagans (Bike Gang)When the Strand was a movie theater and the Beach Boys Played at Waterloo....

City Chick City Chick Message City Chick
Sep '09

Yogel..... Atta Boy!

Oh the Circus.... North Main when I was young & they moved it to Miller St @ the Mars BBall Field. You my friend had already pitched your tent.... Wink Wink!

Begin Again Finnigan
Sep '09

Buttler park i remember that my aunt had a house over there a log cabin it was nice you could see the park was nice
heres one on rt 46 east of town near the Roxbury Police station on rt 46 there was a guy who had a small scale train ride for kids any one remenber this

Sep '09

From ear to ear CBEL,kind of put me in a nostalgic mood ,yearing for my lost youth and to help me recover it I played this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO4oI10tF5E

As you said Aah memories!!!!

Sep '09

What about Wills Airport Fireworks???

jettailgaiter jettailgaiter Message jettailgaiter
Sep '09

jettailgaiter: I`ve forgotten ,where is willis airport? I do remember when I was little back in the 50`s going to fireworks at the old airport in netcong.

Sep '09

Yogel

Yes it was the best...as a kid I was in awe and it was like a holiday that day and night..my family was from Netcong so the entire family was at the field. Went there as a teenager with my friends when I was in high school..

When traveling west on Rt 46 from Netcong into Budd Lake it is a right hand turn called Love Lane...just before Rt 80 exits onto Rt 46. There were other ways to get into there from Stanhope as well but I don't remember the exact route. My dad used to go the back way because the traffic would back up on Rt 46.

jettailgaiter
Sep '09

I all to well remember the Brookdale soda out side of town that was my company

BrookdaleMan BrookdaleMan Message BrookdaleMan
Sep '09

west on 46 a place called unclaimed freight you could get a lot of good stuff

Sep '09

City Chick- I saw the Beach Boys at Waterloo once. John Stamos was filling in on the drums. Good music and a good view.

Sep '09

Nostalgic - I was at that Beach Boys concert also. Got free tickets since my friend worked at the Waterloo wool spinning exhibit.

Wendy Wendy Message Wendy
Sep '09

How about the Polar Bear on Rt 46 in Budd Lake...It's was where the Budd Diner is now....I remember it well cause i worked there.

jettailgaiter
Sep '09

i can remeber when catswap road was a dirt road. it was just about one lane, and it was tough after a rain storm to get up that hill!

BrotherDog BrotherDog Message BrotherDog
Sep '09

lets see...fireworks at wills airport...been there...rt 80 runs right through that place now...on one occasion...a firework went off so low...that it sent spoarks that burned the paint on my dads car...the circus...i used to see their advance teams setting up signs and arrows for the main circus to follow to the setup area...miller st etc...the miniature train ride you speak of was part of a hotdog stand...tonys...they had great footlong hotdogs...the closed up after rt 80 opened up and bypassed them...Jerry Lee Lewis..." the killer " did play the tri-county fair...he was hours late because he got lost on his way to the fair...Unclaimed Freight is now Lynch Trucking...and i cant tell you how many movies i saw at the Strande theater...

Sep '09

Claude :the unclaimed freight place years ago was Jack`s Pequest Auction,we used to go almost every week,my grandfather bought lots of stuff he didn`t need but he had fun doing it.He had a cousin who worked there named Russel Swazie.There was a snack bar in there too,first time I ever had a coney island foot long hot dog.I think it closed in the late 60`s or early 70`s

Sep '09

Now tht brings back a memorie Jack's Pequest Auction, i went there a fue times we also went to the auction on rt 206 in Andover by the rail road tracks

Now thats a good pic from the top of high rock looking west over Mt Lake

Sep '09

Nostalgic for H-town,

I was at that Beach Boys concert too...John Stamos on the drums. My husband and I just passed by there the other day and I mentioned the concert to him.

This concert was 20 or 21 years ago and at least four of us that were there are on this thread now...We could have been elbow to elbow and didn't even know it!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73 Message Lori...since '73
Sep '09

Thats too funny I was there also! It was about 20 yrs ago. It was a good concert!

Its a small world ya know!!!

Yes, that is fine picture of Mt Lake, and you can just make out the water gap in the distance.

Jim Jim Message Jim
Sep '09

I bet a lot of us have bumped elbows a one time it seams
Ok can any one remember if there was a old Mansion on the hill above the gas station at the intersection of rt 46 and rt 31

by the way wat was the other rt number for rt 31 and do you know why they changed it

Sep '09

Yea route 69,people kept stealing the signs,don`t remember the mansion at buttsville though.

Sep '09

speaking of auctions...there was an auction on top of schooleys mtn...i remember the andover auction on rt 206...and then there was the springdale auction...i used to go there ...its been closed for years...who remembers the swiss style chalet mansion near the great meadows railroad station that burned down...it was very prominent when you drove by on rt 46

Sep '09

The auction on schooley mountain was right next to the S.M.I.,cap`s place.there was also col.m.t.parr`s auction house in washington.

Sep '09

I remember Unclaimed Freight...we used to go there after a meal at Hot Dog Johnnie's. I recently got rid of a desk that my parent's bought for me way back when I was in 6th grade. They had some good stuff there...

Sep '09

the swiss style chalet mansion near the great meadows railroad station that burned down... it was up ont that small hill next ot the pumkin feild I would have loved to have a place like that it was a shame when it burned down .
there is that victorain style house on 46 that is falling apart and left to rot I see there is a for sale sign on it now I hope it can be restored
What is the condition of that home on the hill where the Star and Cross is it was Dr Stanowits i think

Sep '09

the victorian house you speak of is in awful shape...that house has been deteriorating for years...it will take much work to bring it back in shape...as far as the house on buck hill...the last i heard some one lives there...

Sep '09

Belvidere
People were a little on edge when they built the cooling towers for the power plant looks just like a nuke plant

Sep '09

Ok Question
There was a dirt road that went up the mountain from hastings square area to the top of the mountin and came out by a church why did they close it off
Has any one been over this road

Sep '09

What Movies were filmed in our area?

BrookdaleMan BrookdaleMan Message BrookdaleMan
Sep '09

The first Friday the Thirteenth was filmed in Stanhope in the opening shot you can see an Elston Oil truck it is said the script is based on a true story of a young boy that drowned while at camp in Cranberry lake mom went crazy and killed a counselor....So it's said???

Sep '09

Friday the 13th was shot in Blairstown and Hardwick.

Sep '09

Sorry C.C. but the first Friday the 13th was made at the boyscout camp over by Blairstown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address
Nobebosco Rd, NJ 07825, USA

Information
Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco
This private camp borders Sand Pond near Hardwick Township, New Jersey and has provided entertainment to countless Boy Scouts over its history, but is best known to horror fans as the setting of the infamous Camp Crystal Lake in the 1980 film, Friday the 13th.

Sep '09

city chick try again...the scene you speak of was filmed in hope nj...and it nothing to do with cranberry lake...all you have right is the elston oil truck...the lake scenes were filmed out by blairstown...

Sep '09

Ok Ok I was just re-telling what was told to me I have never even seen the movie.....LOL

Sep '09

Friday the Thirteenth was filmed in Hope , Blairstown , Blairstown-Millbrook Road , and mainly at Camp No-Be-Bos-Co ( which stands for North Bergen Boy Scouts) . In Hope you can see the Moravian Cemetary , Nick and Hedys store (gone now) , the Blairstown Diner , the old Blairstown stone library and it's strange to see them driving away from No-Be-Bos-Co towards Blairstown when they're supposedly going there on Blairstown-Millbrook Road if you know the area .
I read that Kevin Bacon waited at the bus stop after filming on Route 94 for a Greyhound bus to make a play he was acting in at NYC at the time . Can you imagine that !

The Swiss Chalet house in Great Meadows that burned down was perfect for Cemetary Road as a haunted house for us kids in the area . But that all changed when we met the very normal kids living there - the Cesars . In fact years later Mr. Cesar (a chemist) and his son developed and patented a chemical which helped absorb oil spills .

And from the story I heard , that old deteriorated victorian house went into disrepair as a result of a bitter divorce by the wife living there to spite her ex . Just a rumor , but in the early 70s when the Collander family owned that house , us neighborhood kids had great fun crashing their above ground pool when they went on vacation !

Zombo Zombo Message Zombo
Sep '09

Excerpts from a Star Ledger article from 2007

"The reel-life Camp Crystal Lake is the real-life Camp NoBeBoSco (North Bergen Boy Scouts) in Hardwick Township, just north of Blairstown. Scenes also were shot at the Blairstown Water Works near Roy's Hall, and at Blairstown Diner and the Moravian Cemetery in Hope. A fuel truck from Stanhope drove past."

"When patrons at Roy's Hall theater in Blairstown see the slasher flick at 6:30 and again at 8:30, they will have the unique experience of watching it from a building seen in the 1980 film."

Sep '09

I`ve asked this before but here goes,on hope road just past what was ed`s tavern on the right and the road to mt.lake shoots off left the road curves right,on the left side of the road on the curve there is or was a building maybe 50 feet or so off the road.Can anyone tell me what kind of business it was years ago? Somebody told me once that long ago it was a kind of luncheonette.

Sep '09

the last episode of House this past year was filmed in Greystone...The first couple of episodes for the upcoming season will be filmed there to..

city chick city chick Message city chick
Sep '09

City Chick, Greystone, the mental institution? When I was in nursing school, we affiliated there as part of our psychiatric nursing course. The buildings alone were unforgettaby overwhelming. Great setting for House, if that is the Greystone you are referring to.

Millie Millie Message Millie
Sep '09

yogel that was a hotdog stand that closed many years ago...that place has been closed as long as i remember...City Chick...check out the movie...Friday The 13th...the first one is worth checking out...i just explained that whole local movie filming thing to my daughter as she and i watched the movie...i used to work in Hope at the time...the movie was filmed...and it is so funny to see Skip Hartungs store as the movie...opens...not to mention that a friends house is featured prominently in the movie...check it out...for yourself

Sep '09

That little place on the left on hope rd was a hot dog stand? i dont know was all ways closed will ask a round some
Hope rd There was a small bar PeP and walts across the the street was a butcher shop any one remember that ?

Sep '09

Yes Millie the mental institution....They took down all the signs it is one the old buildings in the back that isn't in use....

Sep '09

Shure do Jeans Meat market,if I remember right the owners were Jean and Bruno Kott.Im not sure but I heard once that the man hung himself.

Sep '09

It is so funny you folks speak of the Beach Boys concert at Waterloo. I was just looking at some of the old photo albums of all of the shows at Waterloo and that Beach Boy show has a whole album dedicated to it as it was one of the first large shows we held in the field. All of the shots have this wild red and white striped staging everywhere. That was a stage we rented prior to buying the Mountain stage that is still there now. I think it was 1987 or 1988 I'll have to look. It rained like hell and the 'Boys were an hour late the their own gig! Many good times!
Ice Water, it is amazing even to me regarding how many great acts have been at Waterloo. I often have folks just shoot out names in almost any genre of music and as a rule the artist has performed right here in our little area.

Greg Greg Message Greg
Sep '09

pep and walts closed up..they were nice people...walt passed away...jeans meat market closed years ago...recently someone has been fixing up the old meat market building...

Sep '09

Greg,

Whatever happened to the place in Waterloo where they held smaller concerts? If I remember correctly it was kind of like a large pit with a tent over it. I remember seeing Arlo Guthrey, Randy Travis, Chicago, Roy Orbison and maybe Jethro Tull? I'm assuming it's sadly unused now like the concert stage...

Sep '09

I`ve asked this before too but here goes.Up 517 all the way to where the road splits(right to lake tranquility left past the airport) if you go right,not too far up the road on the left there was a little store.I remember the people were older and the lady (who was blind b t w )always handled the money.Anybody rremember the place or the name of it?
And the house that sat at the point where the road splits(somehow I think there was a cannon in the yard)if I remember correctly was owned by someone on my mom`s side of the family.

Sep '09

I remember the house at the point haveing a cannon in the yard for as many times as i went bast that little place i never went in

Sep '09

Ok Claude here changed the name
Felix's bar on rt 46 in great meadows any one know the owner and what was across the street was a truck repair shop

CagedAnimal CagedAnimal Message CagedAnimal
Sep '09

Felix's bar and the repair shop across the street were both run by Mr.Radaskiewicz (Rad-ess-schev -vitch) . But it was known to many locals as Raddys , Ed's Tavern was Buggsies , and Pep and Walts was called Peps . I also remember a small general store in the early 60s where Matskos Insurance Agency is called Bernies , gone soon after my family moved to Great Meadows in 62 . I lived in Johnsonburg the first 5 years of my life and if you want a trip back in time that town has barely changed since then . In fact , take away the modern cars and satellite dishes , and it's the early 60s all over again ! Chrusz's general store makes Nykuns in the Meadows look downright modern !

There was a man with the last name Kott who hung himself (late 60s)in the woods next to Mt.Rascal Road , but it wasn't Bruno - because then he wouldn't be there to berate my friends who worked on his small vegtable farm in the early 70s . My parents knew the man and took me along to check out the site of the hanging - there was still a small length of rope tied to the tree branch and some black stuff poured on the ground to cover up god knows what . Gave me the creeps ! My friend at work might remember the name of that small general store in Andover . He's a few years older than me and I recall him saying he used to buy fireworks ( obviously a behind the counter item) from there , late 60s/early 70s . I'll ask him .

Zombo Zombo Message Zombo
Sep '09

Their was a man that would be on the side of the road and wave to everyone as they drove by....When my children where little they always looked for him...On 206 around the Andover area. Anyone know his story I got so many different versions from he was a child molester to he was crazy anyone remember???

Sep '09

He just recently passed away. It was waving Willy! I believe there was a post about him but I cant find it.

Thanks Christine..

Sep '09

There were two "wavers" well knowen in NJ.
Heres a link to read up pn them.
http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=28

There is also a Waving Willie fan club on facebook.

Sep '09

Your kidding????

Sep '09

The man on 206 was cool with the waveing and he is missed he brought a smile to a lot of people
There was a young fellow on the way to chester to long vally would wave to rt 24

Mr.Radaskiewicz was a good guy helped ny dad fix the axls on his soda trucks when the help would break them
yes that was a genneral store there where matskos is

Ok there is Stage Dolls before that CannonBalls (and no one went there right ) it was the Indepence Inn any other names or stories ?

Sep '09

I used to go sledding on Roehrich's farm, the part that was sold to build Hasting Square.....several families would go, and somebody had a pickup truck that brought us up the hill, and we would sled back down. That is my memory, anyway. But now I am wondering how that pickup truck got up the hill in the snow???

LVMomof Boys LVMomof Boys Message LVMomof Boys
Sep '09

as far as the guy who hung himself...on Mt Rascal road that was nasty...the body hung there for days...in the summer...as far as cannonballs tavern...that was the old Meadowview tavern...the independence inn was just up the road from klees...tavern...on rt 46...as far as felixes tavern...that was owned by a guy nicknamed joe rat eye...it closed up years ago...and one more thing...i knew waving willie personally...he was an old curmudgeon...but likeable...

waybill waybill Message waybill
Sep '09

thats right the Indepenance inn was also called the out post and now a rideing tack shop
Meadow view how could i for get that

Sep '09

Lori-The concert tent was located in the village just behind the church. The foundation, actually Mr. Leach the founder purchased the first one in 1968 and began holding classical concerts in an effort to raise awareness and revenue for Waterloo Restoration as it was called then. The foundation would replace the tent every few years as needed and continue to expand the type of music and such offered. It was a great place to see a show. It held 2500-2700 people depending on the event. Ironically, the last tent purchased was in 2006 and this was the very first time the state made or had any contribution in purchasing the concert tent at Waterloo. At 300K, I was very pleased to receive that grant as a capital improvement. It took me two years of lobbying! When the state and Waterloo parted ways, the state kept the tent for future use. This was how and why the Dodge Poetry festival returned to Waterloo for their last event in the fall of 2008. Today it is stored off site most likely never to be erected again.

Greg Greg Message Greg
Sep '09

RT 46 and 31
any one remember the night that the gas station there exploded after catching on fire

all so i see the old buttzville general store has been rebuilt

Sep '09

Every October I remember taking the school bus to West Morris High School (1950s) and enjoying the beauty of the Fall foliage on the other side of Budd Lake as we drove by on Rt 46. It was reflected in the water.

Millie Millie Message Millie
Oct '09

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.