where did you go to elementary school

this is an old thread I found and it hasn`t been connented on for too long so it said to start a new one.
went to the washington st. school from k.(mrs.trainer)to 8th.with the exception of 2 years when the school was annexed to different places around town.k was 1953.k-6 I think downstairs,high school up.

yogel yogel Message yogel
Jul '09

My Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Trainer, as well, but in the Hatchery Hill School. I loved her as a kid, even though some other kids thought she was mean.

Rich Rich Message Rich
Jul '09

Sacred Heart in Rockaway, NJ. Most of my old teachers are still there.

Alison Alison Message Alison
Jul '09

good ole mrs. trainer. had her in middle school (when it was grades k-8)

auntiel
Jul '09

I grew up in Randolph and elementary school was Fernbrook.

Mommyof2 Mommyof2 Message Mommyof2
Jul '09

I had Mrs. Trainor as well. LOL for kindergarten. But it was at the Legion because they were building Willow Grove.

Then I went to Middle School on Washington St.

Christine Christine Message Christine
Jul '09

Went to the now Middle School when it was K-8. Had Mrs. Freeman for first grade. I got in trouble for talking and she pulled my desk and chair into the middle of the room. My sister had Mrs. Trainor and loved her. I had Mrs. White for 2nd grade........now SHE was an old time teacher. I still know my times tables!!!

LVMomofBoys
Jul '09

Sadie F. Leinkauf, PS# 8, in Hoboken.

Bessie
Jul '09

ok, who had mrs. lush

auntiel
Jul '09

The up or down side, depending on what kind of student you were,to going to a little school like h`town was back then was having your teacher say "I`ll talk to your mother,I had HER in my class when SHE was in school".I also had Mrs.White as a teacher.You still know your times tables and I learned to read very well(the good old carden reading method)thanks to her.Remember things like i before e except after c,she was sure to teach us all the rules.Mrs. White was one of the teachers who also taught my mom.I think the teacher I liked the most was Mr.Conrad 8th grade history.

Jul '09

PS 38 George Clinton Latta in Rochester NY from 1st-5th
Whitman Square Elementary in Turnersville NJ 6th

cbgpzb cbgpzb Message cbgpzb
Jul '09

I loved mr. conrad, whatever happened to him?

auntiel
Jul '09

Hope Township School K-8...Out of the 17 members of my 8th grade class, 15 still live in the area. Many left for college and the military, but Hope called us back.

I had Mrs. White and Mrs. Freeman too! LOL! I just pulled my records because I coulodnt remember. LOL

LVMom what year did you graduate?

Jul '09

BTW without Mrs. White I wouldnt like to read! She gave me the LOVE of reading!

Jul '09

Long Valley Christian Nursery School, Kossman Elementary, Flocktown Road School, LVMS, and of course, WMC...

kelleo22
Jul '09

I LOVED Mr. Conrad, and Mr. Pinkman too. You are right about Mrs. White....she taught all kinds of little rules for reading, spelling, and math that I still automatically recite in my head now. I am teaching them to my kids!!! I doubt she is still alive (she was old when I had her.....) but I would love to be able to tell her what stuck in my brain, thanks to her!

Did she throw chalk at inattentive students in your class too, yogel?

I still see Mr. Chamberlain once in awhile....he was alot taller when I was a kid :)

LVMomofBoys
Jul '09

Central School in Independence. In my 3rd house of my, all of which are within a 3 mile radius. #iloveithere

Some k-12 school in Prospect Park, PA for kindergarten
McKinnley Elementary in Revere, Mass for 1st grade
Hillcrest Elementary in Morristown for 2nd and 3rd
Alexander Hamilton in Morristown for 4th and 5th
Frelinghuysen Middle School in Morristown for 6th through 8th

jrsemom jrsemom Message jrsemom
Jul '09

Mr. Chamberlain died years ago LVMOM. His wife comes in my store.

I remember Mr. Pinkman. He was so sweet.

Jul '09

Christine, I graduated HHS in 1978.

LVMomofBoys
Jul '09

Sounds like Mrs. Trainer got around. I had her at Hatchery Hill and not only did I think she was mean, but my Mom was afraid of her! Maybe she was tired by the time I had her. I remember Mr. Pinkman and Mr. Chaimberlain from the middle school. Loved Mr. Joseph and Mrs. Bachman there. Think I also had Mrs. White there and she also gave me piano lessons. My Mom taught for a couple of years at the Middle School also, but before I attended. Her name was Mrs. Jeffers.

Nostalgic for H-town Nostalgic for H-town Message Nostalgic for H-town
Jul '09

Christine, I think we are NOT thinking of the same Mr. Chamberlain.....I am thinking of the principal.....I have seen him at Fit Happens a few times, and just at ShopRite last month......!!!!!! He looked FINE to me :)

LVMomofBoys
Jul '09

I remember Mr. Pinkman used to write little words of wisdom on the blackboard like this one "If silence is golden,you are all paupers" yea he was cool.Mrs.Bellis was kind of mean and Mr.Paulino kept all the tough guys in line but he was a good teacher. I remember three principals,Mrs.Barker,Mr.Chamberlin,neither of whom liked my brand of b.s.and Dr.Lott who for some insane reason always seemed to like me,he was a very nice man.

Jul '09

K - 3rd at Mendham Twp Elementry in
Brookside (the old school on Main St)

3rd - 8th at St Joseph's in Mendham Boro

Hillcrest Elementary in Morristown for 2nd and 3rd
Hey Jrsemom what years did you go there ? My Mom worked at Hillcrest and lived on Budd St

Jul '09

Berkeley School, Bloomfield, NJ.

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Jul '09

Wow, this thread gets you thinking! I also attended Hackettstown Middle School, K through 8th grade. All these teacher's names mentioned brings it all back. Mrs. Freeman (1st grade) then Mrs. White, Mrs. Stout, Mrs. Voight, can't remember 5th grade, Mr. Rotermund for 6th, then 7th and 8th we had a lot of different teachers, Mr. and Mrs. O'Hora, Mr. McDevitt, Mr. Pinkman, Mr. Conrad, Mr. B for gym, Mr. Reilly for shop. What a great time we had back then! Anyone remember the music teacher, Mrs. Gallagher, I believe? We used to give her such a hard time, boys did NOT want to sing! Graduated 8th grade in 72 and moved on up the road to HHS.

deviljet
Jul '09

K-5 St. Michael's in Netcong 5-8 Hopatcong High School at the time there was no elementary school

chrisb chrisb Message chrisb
Jul '09

yogel, I remember words of wisdom from high school detention..

Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.

I never forgot that from over 37 years ago, funny the things we remember.

Bessie Bessie Message Bessie
Jul '09

Battle Hill Elementary, Union, NJ
Burnet Jr. HIgh (yes, JR high - lol) Union, NJ
Union, HS, Union, NJ

NJ2FL05
Jul '09

Bessie you got detention?

Jul '09

You bad girl You. LOL just kidding.

Jul '09

Hey Jrsemom what years did you go there ? My Mom worked at Hillcrest and lived on Budd St

cbgpzb

1986 to 1988 I think.

Jul '09

I went to skoo in Randolph NJ Fernbrook as someone already mentioned then I think a school called Durban Avenue in Hopatcong then H-town middle school

TONYZAMBONI
Jul '09

jrsemom and cbgpzb - Looks like we're from the same area!

Alexander Hamilton: K-6
Lafayette Middle: 7-8
MHS 9-12

My kids went to Hillcrest, AH, Frelinghuysen and then MHS!

Karen in LV Karen in LV Message Karen in LV
Jul '09

P.S. 180 :)

ML Laker
Jul '09

1st grade: Mrs. Freeman
2nd grade: Mrs. White
3rd grade: Mrs. Karl (Carl?)
4th grade: Mrs. Maxwell
5th grade: Mrs. Voight
6th grade: Mr. Rotermund (we used to call him Buzz)
can't remember homeroom for 7th and 8th. have to look that up!

Also, Mr. OHora, Mr. Wilkins, Mrs. Bellis, MISS Gallagher, Mr. Pinkman, Mr. Conrad, Mr. Joseph, Mr. Alampi.....that's off the top of my head.

And Mrs. Raguski is STILL the crossing guard on the corner!

LVMomofBoys LVMomofBoys Message LVMomofBoys
Jul '09

Hopatcong

katy katy Message katy
Jul '09

Alfred Vail and Sussex Avenue in Morristown

North Warren for middle and high school

Birdie
Jul '09

Good old Mr.Rotermund if you were acting up he would come up behind you and pull ypu up out of your seat,BY THE EARS,he pulled hard too,beleive me I KNOW lolol

Jul '09

Watsessing School, Bloomfield
Bloomfield Middle
Caldwell High

Jac's mom Jac's mom Message Jac's mom
Jul '09

Mr. Joseph was there until last year. He had all my kids at one point.

Mrs. Alampi she was so sweet. How about Mrs. Buchman (thenmarried to Mr. Buchman from the HHS! Mr&Mrs. Ohora were there also. Had them both at one point. God those names bring back memories. LVmomof boys what year did you graduate?

Jul '09

Mr. Joseph is still at the Middle School

wgparent
Jul '09

Central School in Great Meadows/Independence. Started there in 1987

sara
Jul '09

Christine, Mr. Joseph retired? I could have sworn he was still there.

Rich Rich Message Rich
Jul '09

Weston, CT
don't miss it at all.
far from here....

mamadone mamadone Message mamadone
Jul '09

Yes Chris, I'm sorry to say I did get detention a few times. Not something you liked to have. First of all, you had to go after school, then they had a list of 10 sayings, and you had to write them on a yellow lined pad, over and over and over, for an hour. Definitely a deterrent to having to go.

Bessie Bessie Message Bessie
Jul '09

I thought Mr. Jospeh retired last year? HHMMMM!

Anyway he was actually one of my teachers now he is in guidance. The kids just love him!

Jul '09

Mansfield.

Jules
Jul '09

George Washington
Lafayette - When it was K-8
Morristown high

Clyde Potts
Jul '09

PS 95 - In Da Bronx, NY!

htown newbie
Jul '09

Allamuchy

Chucky
Jul '09

Jrsemom it looks like my Mom might have served your lunch to you = ]
she worked in the cafeteria in the 80's and early 90's

Jul '09

cbgpzb - I bet my kids knew your mom. That's about the time they went there!

Jul '09

PS 34 for k Hollis, Queens
Seaford Manner School for first grade Seaford, Long Island
Back to PS 34 2nd to 4th grade
5th to 8th grade School number 3 Little Falls NJ

Conrad's Mom
Jul '09

Clyde Potts - you grew up in M'town too? What a small world!

Jul '09

I know I said it last time around in the previous thread, but....

K-6: Cobleskill NY
Form 1-3: Suva, Fiji (hey, that's what Brits call it)
Grade 8 & on: East Stroudsburg

TONYZAMBONI - when did you go to fernbrook? between my brothers, sisters and myself about a 27 year span where we were there! Crazy right

I went to a large high school, Randolph, graduated with 478 kids all from one town. I heard that junk about talking to my mother or brother because my family was in randolph for so long we knew everyone

Mommyof2 Mommyof2 Message Mommyof2
Jul '09

k-1 stanlick in jefferson
2 considlated in jefferson
3-5 e t briggs in jefferson
6-8 jefferson township middle school
9th - jefferson township high school
10-12 roxbury high school

christina christina Message christina
Jul '09

Do any of you Hatchery Hill folk remember Mr. Boeple (I'm sure it's not spelled right). Best gym teacher ever! I had him in '70-'75, but I heard he was there until recently.

Jul '09

CBGB, that's pretty cool.

Clyde, my grandfather was a janitor at the high school probably while you were there. He retired just before I started high school.

Jul '09

My siblings fenced with Mr. Boepple, he was a great guy.

Jul '09

Mr. Boeple retired to his little poodles a few years ago. He was really burned out by the time my kids had him 8-10 years ago. Made up nasty nicknames for kids based on the "long noses" or "skinny legs". New teacher is nice - likes kids.

mamadone mamadone Message mamadone
Jul '09

Sorry to hear that about Mr. B. He was terrific when I was in school. Burnout is an awful thing. That's too bad.

Jul '09

Wow, never would have pegged Mr. Boepple for a poodle kind of guy. Never would have thought he would have called kids names either. I fenced with him also and really enjoyed it. He also got me excited about running which I did with pretty good success through high school.

Jul '09

My sister will tell you that Mr. B. was the most encouraging and inspirational teacher she had in school. Poodles and name calling? You have to wonder what happened for such a drastic personality change.

Jul '09

I fenced with Mr. Boepple, as well. I thought he was a great guy. I was sorry I didn't get to see him before he retired, as my kids went to Willow Grove School.

Rich Rich Message Rich
Jul '09

I just asked my kids about MrB and the giving of names to kids and one said it was funny and cracked her up and the other said it was creepy and made him feel uncomfortable. but either way it didn't sound malicous to me.

Jul '09

K thru 2nd Netcong Grammar
3rd thru 8th Long Valley Grade School (Was K thru 8th at the time) Long time ago!!!
9th thru 12 West Morris Regional

jettailgaiter
Jul '09

1981 Willow Grove School- Mrs. Dudiack (sp?) RIP

1982-1985 Hackettstown Middle School- I remember: Mrs. Ray, Mrs. Beltzner,

1986-1989 HHS- Mr Hart was principal when I left. I cant remember any teachers ATM...lol

aaeadena
Jul '09

The Bury. Roxbury that is. From K-12

Seein the Reality Seein the Reality Message Seein the Reality
Jul '09

oh boy the cobwebs...Washington Street School...Hackettstown... Mr Reilly in shop...Mrs Swanson... Mrs Eckert...Martin and Judy O Hora ... { i see them around town on occasion...very nice people} Mr Snowhill...band { i did not have band...but i loved the Dixieland style band that Mr Snowhill had }...Mr Middleton band...I used to stay after school to talk with Mr Pinkman and Mr Conrad all the time...they were great...i mean great to talk to...Miss Gallagher music...Mr Chamberlain...principle...Mr Alampi...the practicle joker...Mrs. White...i was in class with her son Scott...anyone else care to refresh my memory...then it was on to bigger and better things at HHS...

oldman
Jul '09

You can't be that old "oldman". Thanks for reminding me of Mr. Reilly, Mr. Middleton and the O'Horas (who seemed young and hip when I had them). Speaking of name calling teachers. I remember Mr. O'Hora not so lovingly refering to students who got answers wrong as "Meatball".

Jul '09

all you townies lets not forget Mrs.Hartman our school nurse,great lady.
anybody remember Mrs.Leola Wheeler music teacher,way back.she was a great aunt or something like that to me.

Jul '09

Steunod was one of Mr. O'Hora's favorites also. I saw him a year or too ago....he looked EXACTLY the same, except his hair was almost white...and he nearly tackled me when he saw me. Hasnt changed a bit. :)

Jul '09

Sylvan St. School and Piepont School in Rutherford, then Grove Street School in Montclair

Babs Babs Message Babs
Jul '09

correction...Mr O'Hora called students who answered questions wrong...Meathead...like archie bunker...i was there...still all in all...the O'Horas...were very kind to meet and talk with...after i graduated and moved on from school...

oldman
Jul '09

Mr. O'Hora was only interested in kids that were in sports. The others were cast aside.

copygirl copygirl Message copygirl
Jul '09

You all brought back some great (mostly) memories. My boys (now graduated) were the 3rd generation to go through the Hackettstown school system. If my memory serves my correctly I had:
K - Mrs. Martin
1st - Mrs. Swanson
2nd - Mrs. Goarcke
3rd - Miss Matthews
4th - Mrs. Wheeler
5th - Mrs. Carpenter
6th - Mr. Bielan (what a crush I had!)
7th - Mr. McDevitt, Mr, O'Hora, ??
8th - Mr. Pinkman, Mr. Conrad, Mrs. Bellis, Mrs O'Hora
Mr. Chamberlain was the principal and he started there when I started kindergarten.
I remember being a "Hackett" with Mrs. Goarcke as our advisor!!!!
I think there was a Mrs. Schultheis that was the Home Ec (do they have them anymore?!?!?) teacher. I still can't sew!!
Oh, how cruel we were to Miss Gallagher. I remember sitting in music class and we put little scraps of paper on the top of the blower and turned it on during the middle of a song and it was raining paper all over the classroom. She wasn't quite sure what to do!
Years later when I became a teacher I would never admit to being so cruel to poor old Miss Gallagher!!!!
Thanks for helping me remember my years at Hackettstown Elementary School.

lsricc
Jul '09

In 4th grade at Hatchery Hill- the room was large with dividers between the 4 classes. We'd sit in large group for certain lessons. I still remember the songs Mrs. Wheeler taught us during these lessons. There was the "longitude, latitude" song and the song about the sun . That song started out with "The sun is a mass of ___________gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace....." Does anyone know what the missing word is. I always just mumbled.

Jul '09

we were bad to miss Gallagher too...music class was the last thing anyone wanted to do late on a friday afternoon...besides it was boring...who remembers Mr Dawes...we used to throw paper airplanes out the window while he droned on and on and on and on...theres another name you mention Mr McDevitt...for science...he was ok...ps if anyone went to HHS...i got to know Mr Naratil after high school...he is a great guy...

oldman
Jul '09

I totally agree - Mr. Naratil really was great. Speaking of HHS - who remembers Mr. Lehr (principal), Mr. Cashill, Mrs. Roehrich and Mr. Funcheon (guidance counselors), Senor Rossi (who I had for Spanish but because he was the football coach we would just sit in the back of the room while he spent time with the team). I could go on ad on and on and on........

lsricc
Jul '09

There were "TEACHERS" and then there were Ohora and Rotermun

ABBIE
Jul '09

i remember Mr Lehr very well...Mr Funcheon was a great guy outside of school also...The Senor...i grew up with his children...a very nice family...Mr Cashill...at this time has some very serious health issues...if you want to know more ...about Mr Cashill...the information about him is at classmates.com [ i am not trying to sell... classmates.com ] i met several teachers and staff from HHS ...later in life...and they were all very nice people...and were still aware and concerned about the success in life of their former students...

oldman
Jul '09

Willow Grove School for me!

k- Mrs. cook
1- Mrs. Olendorf
2- Mrs. Helmsteter (sp?)
3- Mrs. Sebastian (my fave teacher ever!)
4- Mr. Davis

Its amazing how you always remember your teachers!

I also remember Mr. Middleton the music teacher (i dreaded playing the recorder), Mrs. schruda (sp?) the art teacher, and as aaeadena already said, Mrs. Dudiak R.I.P., who unfortunatley passed away about 3 years before I was in the forth grade (but I had friends with older siblings who were in her class that dreadful year).

Erin G.
Jul '09

My youngest son had Mrs. Sebastian... he luved her too! ... she's now retired i heard

NJ2FL05
Jul '09

My youngest sister had Mrs. Dudiak and loved her, and we were devastated by her death......it was just awful.

Jul '09

I remember Miss Gallagher, it took us weeks to talk her into letting us play a Beatle's record, she could not understand how we could like that noise. I dont think it lasted even thirty seconds before she ripped it off the turntable.

emolder emolder Message emolder
Jul '09

K-4 Principal - Mr. Wifford
K - Mrs Trainor
1 - Miss Murphy (Before changing to Mrs. Steggie)
2 - Mrs. Brown
3 - Mrs. Rahman
4 - Mrs. Henderson, but also Mr. Tomlinson, Mr. Gregory, and Mrs. Pitt
5-8 Principal - Mr. Chamberlain
5 - Mrs. Voigt and Mrs. Ray
6 - Miss Starr (Now Mrs. Tuxhorn) and Mrs. Vanorski (burned her arm really bad that year)
7 - Mr. Tomlinson, Mc Devitt, and others
8 - Mr. Pinkman
Remember The music teacher, Mr. Debor I think his name was. I remember playing guitar in his class - pick strum strum, pick strum strum - we used to say "pick yum yum", LOL

Rich Rich Message Rich
Jul '09

Hatchery Hill - Mrs. Steege just retired after 40 yrs. Great teacher.

Others at Hatchery - Mrs. Miller, Mrs. Yehl, Mrs. Beatty (sp)

copygirl copygirl Message copygirl
Jul '09

in Miss Gallaghers class...we were bad...we used to bend the records that she liked to play...and someone found a way to clog the film projecter...so the films she wanted to show us could not play... there must be a special hell for students like we were...

oldman
Jul '09

Poor Miss Gallagher. She was always so nervous, and no wonder. As she walked through the halls her right hand was always moving, as if she was conducting an orchestra. The boys were really mean to her. I think she just loved music and wanted to share it ..... but we kids had no interest. Funny story about the Beatles record :)

Jul '09

We also gave her a hard time, but 12 or 13 year old boys did NOT want to sing those old songs of hers....I remember she used to say she was calling Mr. chamberlain (when we were REALLY acting up) and she would pick up the phone, but we could see she had her finger holding the lever down!!
She was probably under instruction from Mr. Chamberlain NOT to call him anymore.

deviljet
Jul '09

re: Mr Chamberlain...i remember when the mere mention of his name would put the fear of god in you... and actually being sent to the office for misbehaving...that walk down the hall was bad...because all the kids in school made up tall tales about the punishments that would be inflicted on you...who remembers Mr Engel...and another...who remembers Mrs.Weston...[the spelling could be wrong]...she was a 6th grade teacher... when i was in sixth grade...who just had a baby...update my memory...

oldman
Jul '09

Yea Mr. C was tough but I`d have rather acted up and faced him than mess around and make Mr. Paulino,7th grade history, mad at me.He was one strong tough guy and didn`t take any crap from any of the bad a**es in his class.Anybody who had him knows what I mean!

Jul '09

I started Washington School in 1947. It was Hackettstown Elementary on the first floor and Hackettstown High on the second. Mrs. Trainor was still Miss Long, Mrs Lush was my first grade teacher, Mrs. Sherrer in second grade and Mrs. Ekroth in the third. Mrs. Sherrer was my favorite. I thought Mrs. Lush must have the most adventuresome summers. The Hackettstown Gazette always noted that she and her husband went to Arizona every summer in their Airstream trailer. Millie

Millie
Jul '09

Mr. O'Hora was only interested in kids that were in sports. Yes so he must of loved me dearly. In football practice, he tells me to come at him hard & he is got chewing tobacco in his mouth. I look at him like OK & hit him right in the chest...he gulps down that chaw & is sick the rest of the afternoon & probably that night too..... Ah memories....lol!

Brother Frank
Jul '09

I went to kindergarten at the middle school Mrs. Trainor. Then HH for first grade Miss Murphys first 1st grade class. My mom was Mrs. Battey she taught third grade first at Mansfield then at HH. Does anyone remember Mr. Collins? He was an HHS english teacher. Mrs. Natisin is now at HHS. Mrs. Carpenter from the middle school is going to be 96 in August. Mrs. White was her sister in law. My mom and Mrs. C and Mrs.W would get together in the summer...do you have any idea what it was like being drilled as a little kid by those three??? YIKES
BTW Mr. Chamberlain is alive and kicking

suzieq
Jul '09

suzieq, I was in Mrs. Trainor and Miss Murphy's classes. If she was Miss Murphy for you, then maybe we were in the same class, because I think she only taught 1 or 2 years before she changed to Mrs. Stegge. :)

I remember Mrs. Battey and Mr. Collins

Rich Rich Message Rich
Jul '09

I think Miss Murphy was 1970...I graduated HHS in 1981. Mrs. Trainor was mean. But she was my mom's friend.. I loved Mr. Collins I learned alot from him. What about Mrs. Baldowski? Biology?

suzieq
Jul '09

OH! Mrs. Baldowski was the best Biology teacher. I learned alot from her. Saw her a couple of years ago. Saw Mrs. Appel (now Mrs, Newcomb) and Mr. Newcomb at the 1st car show on Stiger St.

Jul '09

Wow, can't believe Mrs. Carpenter is still alive!! Mrs. White used to sign her papers "Elizabeth C. White" C for Carpenter, of course! They were tough, old school teachers, but I never forgot what I learned from them. As for Mr. O'Hora, I have to say that as a NON athlete I never felt neglected by him, but if you do, I am sorry for that. I liked him as a teacher. And ditto, Oldman, about Mr. Chamberlain - just to see him striding down the hall made me stop breathing. And I wasnt doing anything!! I see him once in awhile around town, and he seems much shorter now ;) I see Mrs. Appel/Newcomb alot too, she is still charming!!

LVMomofBoys
Jul '09

K-6th grade, 8 schools in 4 states

7th & 8th grade 4 schools in 3 states

High School 3 schools in 2 states

Total = 15 schools in 13 years between 5 states! 2 of those schools I'd "gone back to" at different time periods

Phil D. Phil D. Message Phil D.
Jul '09

YIKES! Military family?

suzieq
Jul '09

I see at least 2 other New Yorkers - PS 107 - Clason Point, The Bronx, NY 1941-1947

jamb jamb Message jamb
Jul '09

suzieq Good guess - U.S.M.C. brat here! The states I went to school in were: CA, HI, NC, PA & VA and the schools were a mix of base schools, public schools and Catholic schools.

Jul '09

Come on !!! I guess no one here went to St. Mary's elementary school??? !!!! I am really old or St. Mary's kids do not read the forum! Many Many many memories - Our boys were super in sports when we went to high school - we never had gym class!!!!!!!!

The American Legoin on Willow grove st., then Willow Grove, when it was first built.

militarymom
Jul '09

Phil D. did you like moving so much? One of my best friends whose dad was Army moved ALMOST as much and HATED it. Another friend ,also Army was born in Germany lived in Japan and all over the US and LOVED it. She says it made her more confident and at home anywhere. Except for college I've lived here all my life. How long have you been in good ol' Hackettsburg?

suzieq
Jul '09

In the late 40s Dr. Lott was principal of the grammar school. I do not know if there was a different principal for the high school upstairs. Miss Ruth Frost was the office secretary. Mrs. Helen Snyder taught PE. In third grade we had a field trip to the Hackettstown Gazette. Our teacher, Mrs. Ekroth's, son was an editor or writer there. I still remember the printing presses and huge banks of type. We watched the typesetters at work. The type was all mirror image.

Millie Millie Message Millie
Jul '09

knollwood elementary school in parsippany.

Lake Parsippany Elementary

TVD TVD Message TVD
Jul '09

susieq,

Fortunately for them, they probably didn't move quite as much as I did. Due to the specialty my Dad was in, there were a number of times when we would be sent to a new base for 6 months only or his transfer would be in the middle of the school year. When he would be transferred out of the country or of course when he was in Vietnam, we had to live wherever Mom was comfortable being while he was away.

I love the fact that we got to drive through many parts of the U.S. on our way from one base to another and I had a width and breadth of experiences that it's rare to get by any other means. In Hawaii I learned what it meant to be a minority, as I didn't go to on-base schools, rather a public Jr. High and then a public school that was a huge combination of both Jr. and Sr. High and in many of my classes"white folks" were in the minority. Interesting to say the least, although if course it is nowhere near what many have to deal with on an ongoing basis, it just gave me more of an appreciation for those in that situation.

I also did go to St. Mary's, but not the one people just mentioned here, but the one in my Dad's home town which was built behind the Polish Catholic Church that my Dad's Grandfathers had helped build and by that, I mean not just fundraising, I mean physically build with their hands as well!

There is a Military Brats network as well as a book "Military Brats" by Mary Edwards Wertsch that details the experiences of some. You could easily hate the life, but if you looked at the possibilities there were, you could love it as well. It's your typical love/hate relationship, with some leaning more on way than the other.

Bad things: people you didn't know, being the "new" guy in class, having to make "the right" friends (by that I don't mean the "in" crowd, I mean the ones that would get you in trouble and reflect badly on your Father), where's my locker, where's my class, new teachers AGAIN, didn't I take geometry for the last three months but I have to catch up on 3 months of Algebra work!

Good things: more people to make friends with and share experiences with, getting to start "fresh" if you made a few booboos in the last school, all the people that helped you find where your locker was or your class was, the mental challenge of getting caught up to all the folks that had been taking the class and getting good grades to boot, "hey, this teacher is Much cooler than the last one" and "gee, I remember those folks as friends from other bases, it'll be great to catch up - instant friends"!

Jul '09

proud graduate of Our Lady of Mercy Country Day School (now there is a mouthful for a little kid) in Madison, CT

in keeping with family tradition, my kids are now at St. Mary's

KathyDG KathyDG Message KathyDG
Jul '09

i went to st marys...lets see...Sister Antonelda...you must remember her... Sister Marcelline...Mrs Cunningham...Father Sergel...Father Bielen...lets not forget the custodian...Hughie Logan...thats a good start...lets not forget the annual Christmas party...where got to see "The Bells Of St Marys"

oldman oldman Message oldman
Aug '09

Anyone know what happened to Mr. Branagan from Hatchery Hill - 4th grade teacher.

I remember having Mrs. Nichols for first grade - she was stern with a capital S. Her husband was a brick mason and rebuilt my parents fireplace on Moore Street.

Mr. Favara in 5th grade, along with Mrs. Voight, Buzz in 6th.

Mr. O'Hora - great guy. He was tough on us in Math but I'll tell you what - 8th grade I went to Long Valley Elementary and the immediately put me in advanced math.

Stephan Stephan Message Stephan
Aug '09

Sisters Climica, Henrice, Nevarda, Corona, Marie and Eileen, and Mrs. Cunningham. My favorite was Sr. Eileen. She told us stories about growing up near Pike's Peak in Colorado. Sr. Nevarda was not one of my teachers, but my sister remembers her fondly and says she lives at the convent in Scranton. I remember the train coming by the school at about 3:15 each afternoon. It signaled the end of the school day.

Aug '09

St. Kieran's, Heckscherville, Pa

PAM PAM Message PAM
Aug '09

Millie...i remember the train also...it came during class time too...and it was so loud that the teacher had to stop speaking...one time a classmate of mine made a snowball and threw it at the train and hit the engineer...the railroad was not too happy about that...i also remember Father Sergel...making the rounds during report card time...personally handing them out...on another note i had relatives who were Nuns...so i knew that outside of school Nuns were fun loving people...and they cared about their students and extended families

oldman oldman Message oldman
Aug '09

White Township Consolidated Elementary School located in Bridgeville, New Jersey

Grad year 1972

Belvidere High School

Grad year 1976

Claude Claude Message Claude
Aug '09

I found this site just playing with google. I enjoyed reading all of the posts. I attended school in Hackettstown when it was one school - K-12. We moved during 8th grade. I remember a lot of the teachers. I had Mrs. Trainer when she was Miss Long. I kept getting in trouble for talking to much and spent may hours in the hall. I got to know Dr. Lott quite well as he would be walking through the halls. I seemed to have different teachers than my brother except for Miss Long. This site has brought back many memories.

Janet Ott Philhower Janet Ott Philhower Message Janet Ott Philhower
Aug '09

Janet, you were a classmate in K and I think 3rd grade. I don't recall sitting in the hall, but Mrs. Lush had a reserved place for me under her desk (talking). I liked the lunchroom in the basement. To a little kid tho, the tunnels leading to it were slightly scarey.

Aug '09

Wow, I saw someone else went to Knollwood in Parsippany. Went there a while. Then we moved to Rockaway.

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell Message INeedMoreCowBell
Aug '09

I used to get into trouble for talking in first grade, Mrs. Freeman's class. She would pull my desk out into the middle of the floor (she had all the desks lining the perimeter of the room) for the rest of the day. Somehow the humiliation did not prevent me from repeating the same infraction more than once after that.... ;)

Aug '09

Hackettstown Elementary - Had Mrs. Martin for kindergarten, Mr Demarest was a great science teacher, Mr. Conrad awesome history, Mr. George - I see Mr. Pinkman often around Washington. Mrs. White with a twitching eye, Mrs. Bellis awesome Math, Mrs. Disansi (?) forget how to spell it. I remember when Mansfield students were joined with Hackettstown before their school was completed. Great Memories of the band and the Dixie Kids, I played clarinet!

Kathleen Kathleen Message Kathleen
Aug '09

Oh yeah, Mrs. White and the twitching eye. And if she didnt think she had your attention she flung her chalk at you across the room. (Not me, I was in the first row and well behaved, but learned how to duck for the kids behind me) Mr. Snowhill was the best, wasnt he? I played clarinet too, and still have it in the house somewhere. Loved Mr. Conrad, Mrs. BEllis, Mr. Pinkman.......

Aug '09

shogum in first and second grade randolph, and duffy in Wharton.

Lisa Lisa Message Lisa
Aug '09

Millie - I guess there were a lot of us in trouble for talking. The teachers that I had if I remember correctly were:
K-Miss Long
1st - Mrs Freeman
2nd - Mrs Sherr (not sure of spelling) we went to a church for that class and I remember we had a sandbox in the room. Mrs Sherr died while we were in grammer school but I don't remember when and I thought she was young.
3rd - ? - I did not have Miss Carpenter
4th - Mrs Eckroth
5th - Mrs Mayberry - talking in class - long division - I never did learn to keep my moth shut
6th - Mrs Blaiser
7th - Mr. O'Neil & Mr. Geary
8th - Mrs Barker & Mrs Whale (and I know that is not how you spell it.
Not really sure of the early grades but I missed one and my order may be off. Maybe someone remembers the one I am missing

Aug '09

Mrs. Sherrer (I think that's the spelling) could not have been too old. Her mother was the town librarian when I was in third thru about sixth grade. I had almost forgotten that we had gone to the Episcopal church for the first semester of second grade. My third grade teacher was Mrs. Eckroth. My parents sent me to St. Mary's school in fourth grade. I did not know that Mrs. Eckroth had been promoted to fourth that year. Was Mrs. Swanson the third grade teacher?

Aug '09

Millie, Mrs. Eckroth could have been third grade but who am I missing, maybe someone else would know know who it was I guess it was 4th grade. I don't remember Mrs. Swanson but you could be right.

Aug '09

I had Mrs. Swanson in 1st grade.

lsricc lsricc Message lsricc
Aug '09

Anybody remember Ms. Jamison,7th grade sience.
Cool lady,she told us once that we could chew gum in her class as long as we had enough for everybody,including her.really good sience teacher too,focused a lot on earth sience.She was one of few teachers that could hold my attention the whole period.

Aug '09

Janet, my Mom, who is in her 90s, still has some of my old report cards. Mrs. Eckroth was my third grade teacher.

Aug '09

Oldman..... SMS in HTown! Wow what memories.... I graduated there in 75.

Begin Again Finnigan
Aug '09

You guys and gals carry on some great discussion on this site. Much better than over on classmates.com.

I graduated from HHS in 1975 and HMS in 1971.

Does anyone remember when the 5th grade was reolocated over to the Presbyterian Annex on Main Street for a year, due to overcrowding at the Washington Street School? We had lots of fun stopping in at Mick & Heddies after school to buy candy and "Wackie Packages". I think we took recess in the graveyard net door, if I remember correctly.......lol.

Long_Time_Gone Long_Time_Gone Message Long_Time_Gone
Aug '09

Millie, I haven't checked my report cards yet - my Mom is 91 and I was talking to her about this site and the town one. It is fun to read about things I have not thought of in years. I found some old pictures and I am so sorry that we didn't put names on them. I remember some but some I can't put a name to the face I remember. When I looked at the pictures I am wondering if we had a teacher by the name of Mrs. Merrick or something like that. I do not remember a Mrs. Swanson. Good thing I found this site, a little longer and I probably would have forgotten a lot more names.

Aug '09

LONG ISLAND NY

Lincoln Avenue Elementary

lalalucy lalalucy Message lalalucy
Aug '09

heres my list...
K-at the american legion-Mrs. Martin & Miss Reidel
1st grade(1/2 yr at middle school 1/2 yr at Willow grove)
Mrs. Freeman(put me in the closet and under her desk)
2nd grade-Mrs. Tocce(one of the best)
3rd-Mrs. Howell(mean british lady....her husband Roy was a great guy..go figure)
4th-Mr. Fisher homeroom(hippie)(english),also Mr. Irsay(reading), Miss Hahn(math), and Mrs. Dudiak(science)(GREAT teacher...she was bulgarian)..(at that time the fourth grade room was entirely open with no walls separating the classrooms)
principle-mr. Robert Enz(very,very tall)
nurse-mrs. albanese
phy.ed- mr. romanczak
music-Mr. deboer
also remember..miss Dick, Mr. Mc Ardle, mrs. Swanson. mrs sebastian(so nice), mrs. van setter, mrs. maxwell, mrs. olendorf,mrs. helmsteter...
5th-(middle school)-Mrs. Rey/Mr. Lynch(the abe lincoln beard)
6th-Mr. Nitto/Mrs. Gray
7th-(started 8 periods)-Mr. Mc Devitt
8th-Mr. Mr. Conrad...
principal-Mr.Chamberlain
VP-Mr. Pinkman
guidance-Mr. Norman Colcum, Mr. William Cashill, and my fav..Mr. Frank Joseph.....
secretarties...Mrs. Dickinson and Mrs. Zellars
phys. ed-Mr. Borgeson
art-Miss Stout
music-Mr. Cupolo(a great person, a great influence, sad to hear of his passing)and mr. Ultz....married miss piatt...
also..mrs. buchman(my favorite)..mr. stilson, mr. rotormund,mr. favara,mr. fleming,mrs. voigt, mrs. collins.....the "new" gym was built in 1976.....the 100 year anniversary of the High/Middle School

proudtiger
Oct '09

proudtiger- Incredible memory! The same names were there when I was at the middle school. I remembered many of them in earlier posts, but you have names I had long forgotten. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Oct '09

LOL proudtiger its almost exactly who I had, what year did you graduate?

Oct '09

Wow, Proudtiger, well done. you must not be as old as me, your memory is much better. Alot of those names I recognize as having passed, unfortunately :( Mrs. Freeman (I believe the closet and desk part) Mrs. Dudiak, Mr. Enz, Mr. Rotermund (Buzz) Mrs. Voigt. Hadn't heard that Mr. Cupolo had passed. And what about Mr. Snowhill? Remember him?

Oct '09

i graduated 8th grade in 1979

proudtiger
Oct '09

Holy cow! I admire your memories. I think my teachers were:
K - Mrs. Francis
1st - Mrs. Lush
2nd - Miss Carpenter (before she married)
can't remember 3rd or 4th. We were at the Legion because the school was crowded. This was before the high school was built.
5th - Mr. Pinkman
6th - ?
7th - Mr. Pinkman again. Love that man.
8th - Mrs. Weighl (sp), Mr. O'Neil, Mrs. Bellis
Principals were Dr. Lott and Mrs. Barker.
Thanks for the memories

Barbara
Nov '09

Proudtiger- I graduated 8th grade in 1979 also, but went to Hatchery Hill. We must have known one another. Those were fun times.

Nov '09

Northeast PA - Damascus Elementary

Wow, missed this link the 1st time it came through - It was fun to go down memory lane

Phil D - I can really relate - I'm a Navy brat - 21 years, not as many moves as you, but the same feelings about all the changes - Thanks for the memories.

My education: K-6 RI, CA, Guam & Japan
7-8 Japan & Jersey
all of HS - Jersey......got luck on that one, as my dad extended his tour & retired here - otherwise we'd have left in the middle of my Soph year. I had plans to "adopt" another family for those last 2 years.

My schools were a a combo of on base & off - The 4 years we were in Japan (at 2 different bases) were great - BIGGEST / TOUGHEST move was coming to NJ - Middle of 8th grade - cliques / friendships were formed since kdg and they really had not met anyone like me (one who had moved around alot). That half of 8th grade was one of the hardest times I have ever been through - it even ranks up there with my divorce.

Thanks for the memories - going to go home & pull out my scrapebooks

God Bless our Military & their Families!!

OMG!, H'town newbie! I went to PS 95 in da Bronx also!!!!
I hope you come back and read this.
My DD went all thru H'town schools and had Mrs. White in 7th grade.
Mr. Cashill was her Principal. Does anyone know any more info on him. The classmates website doesn't have anything posted lately.

Cheryl Cheryl Message Cheryl
Nov '09

I enjoyed seeing my father still being talked about by his students after all these years. For the most part , he taught 6th grade at the Hackeetstown Middle school after starting his teaching career at Pennington Prep. I was proud to see him get his Masters degree plus 30 and contimplate a school administration position during his carreer in the school sysyem. In some cases he taught two generations of Hackettstown families between approx. 1962 and 1990. At his funeral a number of students showed up from his past which of course ,was very moving to my family. He was also the President of the PTA in Hackettstown a number of years.
Dad was a Rutgers University graduate and always said how Hackettstown is such a perfect location to raise a family.A little known fact to even my family until his later years; he was accepted to Princetown University but could not afford the tuition back in the 1940s.
Anyway, thank you for keeping his name alive and sharing.

RobertRotermund RobertRotermund Message RobertRotermund
Nov '09

Central School Great Meadows

K-Miss Flory
1st- Miss Flory
2nd- Mrs Green
3rd- Miss Shemmal
4th- Mrs Hutchinson
5th Miss Hoag
6th- Mr. O'Donnel
7th- Miss Kowalick
8th- Mrs Johnson
Principal-Jack Collins
Custodian-Steve Ozyjowski

poppy poppy Message poppy
Nov '09

hey emolder, what's yer dad's name?

cheetah cheetah Message cheetah
Nov '09

Way cool to find this sight, through a new (old) Elementary school acquaintance. I attended Hackettstown Elementary/Middle School K through 7th grade, after which my family moved to Utah. I visited the old school this month on a visit to the old neighborhood- lived three houses away. Those were the days of walking everywhere and everyone in the neighborhood was your parent. Sigh. I will dig out old pics and reacquaint with the names of my teachers- very interesting walk down memory lane! Any of my old classmates out there? It would have been future graduates of 1978.

Nancy G Nancy G Message Nancy G
Dec '09

I attended hatchery hill, the middle school only for a year, St. Mary's and graduated from HHS in 97.

snakeyes..
Dec '09

I am a little surprised not to see the old Budd lake Elementary School mentioned here. Everyone living on the Morris County side of Hackettstown went there after about 1956?8? My younger siblings caught the bus on Mine Hill Road. I was already in Hackettstown High. or West Morris, which was opened in 1958.

Apr '10

Our Lady of Lourdes on Eagle Rock Ave. in West Orange..the worst 8 years of my life.

ginger
Apr '10

Hackettstown Elementary/Middle School K-7th (moved before 8th grade) Here goes with the memory...
K- Mrs. Martin
1st- Mrs. Freeman
2nd- Mrs. White
3rd- Mrs. Devery (sp?)
4th Mr. Maxwell
5th Mrs. Voigt
6th Mr. Rotermund
7th- Mr. Ohora-home room
When going through my late mother's pics, I found my class pics from 5th 6th and 7th. I am still looking for the earlier ones- she had them somewhere. The hopscotch area was my fav part of the playground, second was kickball. A LONG time ago!!

Nancy G
Apr '10

oops..sorry. I forgot to mention that was 1965-1973. I graduated in 1978, but in Missouri.

Nancy G
Apr '10

SMS for k and first , mrs cunningham and sister louis marie .then to hackettstown elementary on washington st. i had mrs weston, very cool lady, mr rotermund, anyone on the safety patrol and go to the ballgame at the end of the year ?? fifth grade we did split sessions because of over crowding, only went to school half a day. one half of the year in the am, next half in the afternoon session. i didnt see anyone mention mr kielblock , that was fourth grade. i think poor miss galagher had a nervous breakdown one year while i was in that elementary school. remember the flute o phones we used to play? mr norse , he taught special ed. i ran into mr pinkman at the washington shop right, a couple years ago, great guy.

Nancy, I had all the same teachers as you except for K & 3rd grade....Mrs. Karl.....I loved her. I loved all my teachers, actually. I saw Mr. OHora at a local funeral a few years ago...he hasnt changed a bit. !!

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys Message LVMomOfBoys
Apr '10

hey u guy...as i was reading...you all talked about all the geat teacher from hackettstown middle school....and yes, they were wonderful teacher....I am now 50 class of 1975 at hackettstown middle...but the 4 teachers that stand out in my mind were out 7th and 8 th grade teachers...those were the teachers that really changed our lives....Miss Celia 7th grade english remember her...she was wonderful, SHE STOOD BY US AND WORKED WITH US TILL WE NEW WHAT SHE WAS TEACHING US....I WILL NEVER FOR GET HER !!!!!
Mrs o'hora 7th and 8th grade, another great teacher....and god know Mr Joesph...but when I had him he was young and beautiful...I remember I wanted to marry him when I grew up...lol....Mr Pinkman...he was the best.....those teachers really care about what happened to us as students....they really wanted to make sure when we left them we would use everything they drilled in our heads, that we were good kids and would make something of our life.....well... Miss Celia and Miss O'hora...I did everything you told me to do....and I got my master in fashion...and I MAKE LOTS OF MONEY.....and I thank god, all the time that he put you into my life, and for all my teachers from hackettstown middle school...if you were not our teachers it might have been very different path we went down.....as students we were all blessed to have you all in our lives, and I bet you most of your students will agree !!!!! You all were the teachers that really made us what we are today.....your students loved you all.......
A PROUD STUDENT OF HACKETTSTOWN MIDDLE SCHOOL CLASS OF 1975

St. Mary's K-8, still see Sister Nivarda on occasion...

Spring Fever
Aug '10

Roosevelt School - Uniion City K-2
(4 classrooms of each grade depicting level)

F E Dewey - Bogota 3 - 8 Class of 1967
(9 rooms total K thru 8)

Does anyone remember playing Flys-Up?

midnightgardener1 midnightgardener1 Message midnightgardener1
Aug '10

ginger , my husband said it could not have been any worse than the valley lol

cowgirl1 cowgirl1 Message cowgirl1
Aug '10

azusa ca

cowgirl1 cowgirl1 Message cowgirl1
Aug '10

Oh my...just happened upon this thread and it certainly brings back memories

I started when it was all in the Middle School and then got moved down to Willow Grove
1st. - Mrs. Van Setters
2nd - Mrs. Bachman
3rd - Mrs. Howell (she was Scottish, not British, and I actually liked her class)
4th - Mr. Irsay (for homeroom and math)
I also remember Mr. DeBoer for music

5th - Mr Lynch (homeroom - I can still remember most of roll call; he lived across the street from the school and rebuilt Mustangs as a hobby) and Mrs. Ray
6th - Mr. Rotmund and...Mrs. Maxwell(she got married during the year)
7th - Mr. Joseph (what a GREAT guy)
8th - Mr. Pinkman (another great teacher)
Mr Cupolu did music, and I also remember The O'Hora's (Mr. O'Hora and I didn't really see eye to eye), Mrs. Perona, Mr. McDevitt, Mrs. Langley, and Mrs. Lanterman (with her high heeled leather boots and tight blouses).

I moved away after graduation, but still think about those "old days" sometimes.

JJB IV JJB IV Message JJB IV
Dec '10

Chancellor Avenue School- Grades K through 8th in Irvington
Frank H. Morrell High School Irvington NJ class of 1975

reedfamily reedfamily Message reedfamily
Dec '10

PS 180 - 56th Street and 16th Avenue Brooklyn New York

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.